Do the Bills have the cap space for both Waters and Scheffler?

Do the Bills have the cap space to fit both Scheffler and Waters, and if so, could each of them be acquired for a 4th round pick or would it cost more?

If this could be done, two need positions would be addressed and the Bills would still have #11, 28, 42 and 75 to address OLB, DE and OT.

They should be able to fit them in both cash to cap and straight cap wise. The thing with Scheffler (and maybe Waters) would be signing them to deals after the trade - Scheffler in particular, since this is the last year of his contract.

Waters looks like a winner, I'm not sold on Scheffler yet.

Do the Bills have the cap space to fit both Scheffler and Waters, and if so, could each of them be acquired for a 4th round pick or would it cost more?

If this could be done, two need positions would be addressed and the Bills would still have #11, 28, 42 and 75 to address OLB, DE and OT.

The short answer is yes.

Waters is crazy if he thinks he is going to get $8 Million at 32 years of age. He probably will get something between $6-$7 M

To me he's worth it.

Regarding Scheffler, I wouldn't be opposed to the trade, but I'd rather have a traditional TE who has a propensity to blow up LB's. That is just me.

$8M/year for a 32 year old guard? Are you serious? The interior of our line doesn't scare me that much (unlike the exterior, which is purely frightening at this point).

As far as Scheffler is concerned, what is he worth? Our second fourth rounder? Maybe. Maybe not...

2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Tony Scheffler, TE

Grade: 65 | Key

Alert: None

Comment: Scheffler is a good-sized target who has above-average downfield speed, good body control and agility for his route-running skills. He has come a long ways in his ability to set up defenders and can separate well enough to gain a step on most safeties. He has adequate run after the catch tools, but does not have the afterburners to turn many catches into long touchdowns. He reads coverages well and does a good job of settling into soft spots in zone coverage to present a good target for the quarterback. He knows how to use his size and athleticism to be an effective receiver in the red zone and can reach up to highpoint the catch with his naturally soft hands. He is a decent blocker, at best, and needs to add more bulk and strength to sustain his blocks better. He will get rag dolled by some NFL linebackers and should get better with age and added strength.

Receiving Stats

YEAR TEAM G REC YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST

2006 DEN 13 18 286 15.9 29 4 15 0 0

2007 DEN 16 49 549 11.2 41 5 29 1 1

2008 DEN 13 40 645 16.1 72 3 28 1 1

Career 42 107 1480 13.8 72 12 72 2 2

Funny enough, look who else gets a similar grade from ESPN:

2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Robert Royal, TE

Grade: 65 | Key

Alert: None

Comment: Royal was able to have his best season of his six-year career after replacing the injured Kevin Everett. He is a solid athlete with good size and strength. Royal is more of a wall-off blocker than power player at the line of scrimmage. He isn't an explosive player, but uses his hands well and stays connected with good foot agility and effort. He understands angles and his limitations as a run blocker. He has developed as a receiver and is most effective in short and intermediate zones. Royal doesn't have great speed or quickness to threaten down the field, but finds voids in zones and uses his body to get separation in man coverage. He has solid hands to make the tough reception away from his body, but shows some stiffness when the ball is thrown below his waist. He has courage in traffic, but doesn't break many tackles and doesn't show great run after the catch ability. He has been a solid special team's contributor and may continue to improve his overall game with more leg strength and opportunities to show his wares as a receiver.

Receiving Stats

YEAR TEAM G REC YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST

2003 WAS 6 5 48 9.6 20 0 3 1 0

2004 WAS 14 8 70 8.8 23 4 6 0 0

2005 WAS 15 18 131 7.3 29 1 8 0 0

2006 BUF 16 23 233 10.1 33 3 13 0 0

2007 BUF 16 25 248 9.9 28 3 10 2 2

2008 BUF 15 33 351 10.6 30 1 14 2 2

Career 82 112 1081 9.7 33 12 54 5 4

The biggest thing getting a Scheffler would be acquiring a known commodity. However, if you're going to have this many draft picks, I'd be more comfortable trading for a Waters, giving him 6 mil a year for like 4 years and drafting whatever else we need this year instead of getting Scheffler AND having to give him big money after not performing in our system, or wasting a franchise on him next year.

The biggest thing getting a Scheffler would be acquiring a known commodity. However, if you're going to have this many draft picks, I'd be more comfortable trading for a Waters, giving him 6 mil a year for like 4 years and drafting whatever else we need this year instead of getting Scheffler AND having to give him big money after not performing in our system, or wasting a franchise on him next year.

Actually, I believe the biggest thing in getting Sheffler for a fourth would be saving your top draft picks for other needs like OT and DE. Without this trade, I can guarantee you Buffalo is seriously considering Pettigrew at #11.

If these numbers can be trusted

Bills are under the cash to the cap money by approx. $24 - $34 Million. as of 4/6

So the answer is HELL YES. Wait, does that include Peters salary gain?

OT Jason Peters $4.1M - $2.95M against cap if traded.

So once again WTF is Ralph doing besides lining his pockets!!!