A request: Please share your take on the Peters trade

Now that we've had three days to digest it and have heard from Jason Peters at his introductory news conference in Philly, I'm looking for reaction from Bills fans on the whole saga. I've been reading the back-and-forth discussions, but if you had to sum up your feelings in one entry for ESPN, what would you say?

Please send your thoughts to my AFC East mailbag:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/mailbagESPN?event_id=21506

Be sure to include your REAL first name, e-mail address and location. The e-mail address remains private, but it allows me to write back to you directly with any questions, or let you know if there's a reason I can't use your take. No profanity or wishes that certain people drop dead, please.

So tell me what you think. Did the Bills get robbed? Is Peters overrated? Did the Eagles overpay?

Much like I did with the Terrell Owens signing, I'm going to compile the best responses into one or two blogs, depending on the turnout:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-6-41/...al--Part-1.html

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-6-48/...al--Part-2.html

Thanks in advance to those who contribute. I look forward to reading and sharing your thoughts.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that we've has three days to digest it and have heard from Jason Peters at his introductory news conference in Philly, I'm looking for reaction from Bills fans on the whole saga. I've been reading the back-and-forth discussions, but if you had to sum up your feelings in one entry for ESPN, what would you say?

Please send your thoughts to my AFC East mailbag:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/mailbagESPN?event_id=21506

Be sure to include your REAL first name, e-mail address and location. The e-mail address remains private, but it allows me to write back to you directly with any questions, or let you know if there's a reason I can't use your take. No profanity or wishes that certain people drop dead, please.

So tell me what you think. Did the Bills get robbed? Is Peters overrated? Did the Eagles overpay?

Much like I did with the Terrell Owens signing, I'm going to compile the best responses into one or two blogs, depending on the turnout:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-6-41/...al--Part-1.html

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-6-48/...al--Part-2.html

Thanks in advance to those who contribute. I look forward to reading and sharing your thoughts.

Tim you should be used to it by now.

This board, for the most part will speak in support anything this inept front office does... including trading the team's best player. :devil:

This board, for the most part will speak in support anything this inept front office does... including trading the team's best player. :devil:

Thanks, Tim.

Dawgg, it feels kinda strange saying this because I like Peters a lot. However, once T.O. joined the Bills, Peters was in no way shape or form the best player on the Bills. Since I'm assuming TO is healthy and fine (he looked good to me last year when he had a real QB throwing to him), it seems pretty inarguable to me that he's the best player on the team. He's arguably one of the five best receivers in league history if one is to judge him on productivity.

Thanks, Tim.

Dawgg, it feels kinda strange saying this because I like Peters a lot. However, once T.O. joined the Bills, Peters was in no way shape or form the best player on the Bills. Since I'm assuming TO is healthy and fine (he looked good to me last year when he had a real QB throwing to him), it seems pretty inarguable to me that he's the best player on the team. He's arguably one of the five best receivers in league history if one is to judge him on productivity.

I factor age and position into the equation in determining who the best player is. Taking age and position into consideration, Peters was the Bills' most valuable asset. Maybe the appropriate term I should have used is that Peters is the most "valuable" player. If they were able to get a mid first round pick, I can see making the deal. But to jettison him for a late first rounder and a second day pick is just absurd IMO. Why are the Bills so generous to the likes of Schobel and Dockery, yet they buckle when it's time to pay market value for a top tier talent?

Huh? I've always thought TSW was 75-25 against anything the FO does. Perception's a funny thing...

Sorry, but I don't give out that info to an anonymous ?

My take on the Peters trade, especially after the Philly news conference, is one of relief. He admits to not playing 100% because of the money, which is absolutely unacceptable once a player has signed a contract, and, even more, when a player has agreed to be apart of a team. That sucks for his teammates, and it must've given the Bills F.O. headaches, not knowing how much or when they could depend on this guy. It sounds to me like they got rid of a big question mark who was definitely doing damage to the locker room and the overall morale on this team. They got a few picks and, even with a second, I think can land someone who can perform better than he did last year. I like the cleaning house that is going on this off-season, getting rid of players and salaries that will be better spent in other areas, and, lets hope, making this team competitive.

Just imagined what kind of a signal it would've sent to other players on this team if they would've given in to his demands. Next thing you know, four or five guys are holding out, and the whole off-season becomes a joke.

The Bills players should be focusing on one thing only: winning, getting better, and being the best.

I factor age and position into the equation in determining who the best player is. Taking age and position into consideration, Peters was the Bills' most valuable asset. Maybe the appropriate term I should have used is that Peters is the most "valuable" player. If they were able to get a mid first round pick, I can see making the deal. But to jettison him for a late first rounder and a second day pick is just absurd IMO. Why are the Bills so generous to the likes of Schobel and Dockery, yet they buckle when it's time to pay market value for a top tier talent?

I'm not arguing with your take on the trade at all. I just think it's crazy to say that Peters is a better player than Owens. If you look at the offenses TO has been on, he's raised the productivity by more than Peters ever has for the Bills. Looking into the future, Peters long term is certainly more valuable. What I'm talking about is who would have been the Bills' best and most valuable player in 2009. What he does is more valuable than what Peters does. Just look at Philly, for instance: With him, they were 17-4; without him, they were 2-8. And they had a good LT in Tra (William) Thomas at the time. TO is going to go down 2nd all time in TD receptions and 3rd/4th in receptions and 3rd/4th in yards when he'd done (barring injury).

It's very weird how many on TSW are so heavily supportive of the front office. It's become Jonestown level support at this point considering the teams' record over the last decade. It's not only fans here, failed NFL QB Jim Miller and a huge supporter of loser Jauron and the Bills FO, basically ripped Peters a new one all day on Sirius NFL radio. It was both embarrassing and shameful coming from a guy who was basically nothing but a scrub player his whole career. But that's alright though, because his buddy Dick "Mr. 7 out of 8 losing seasons and counting" Jauron got a three year extension and our team just lost it's best player for a box of crayons. It's never Dick's fault.

Sorry Tim, but what I have to say can't be printed over there.

I'm not arguing with your take on the trade at all. I just think it's crazy to say that Peters is a better player than Owens. If you look at the offenses TO has been on, he's raised the productivity by more than Peters ever has for the Bills. Looking into the future, Peters long term is certainly more valuable. What I'm talking about is who would have been the Bills' best and most valuable player in 2009. What he does is more valuable than what Peters does. Just look at Philly, for instance: With him, they were 17-4; without him, they were 2-8. And they had a good LT in Tra (William) Thomas at the time. TO is going to go down 2nd all time in TD receptions and 3rd/4th in receptions and 3rd/4th in yards when he'd done (barring injury).

Sure... we're splitting hairs here... but I think that:

(a) an upper echelon tackle is always more valuable than an upper echelon receiver and

(b) Peters is young, TO is far from it.

To me, that gives Peters the edge. Now if you're looking purely from the lens of the 2009 season, maybe you're right. But the Bills just traded their most valuable asset for pennies on the dollar. This front office sucks, no matter how much Tim Graham panders to Bills fans... no mater how much "hope" they sell every offseason and no matter what unfounded guarantee Donte "bust" Whitner makes with his big mouth.

I really thought the front office was moving this team in the right direction with the TO acquisition, signing Drayton Florence, cutting Dockery, etc.. but this trade just flat out sucks.