Peters didn't know how many sacks he gave up...

Peters is a moron, all he cares about it money, he is gonna have a terrible year, his conference was a complete joke. I would rather have a guy on the bills that was thinking about the next play not his contract during the game. cya bye Jason

Face it. It's a new breed of NFL player. One that does not want

to end up paralyzed ending his career, or end up in a wheelchair

at age 50 because his body is so broken down.

Look at Barry Sanders, arguably the best RB ever to play the game

(certainly the most elusive) quit in his prime (I know, the fact the Lions

were terrible had something to do with it).

Today's player just wants to squeeze a few good years out of his first

contract to hit the big FA payday, and coast.

Good riddance Peters, hope you enjoy the money when you could possibly

be the best LT to ever play the game if you actually thought about why you

just got beat for the sack, instead of your contract. Scr*w the HOF, just coast

now for a few years.

Punch!

Listen, he's probably going to do pretty well in Philly. I'm not an expert on NFL linemen, but if Peters is one of the best LTs in the league, it must be a low point in the history of Left Tackles. Think about it, anyway. How well we were the Bills doing with him? Let's hope some young guys stand up and play some football and that, sometime soon, the Bills will be fun to watch again. Ever since Polian left the FO can't seem to find good players.

Peters also seemed to admit that maybe he didn’t give 100 percent on every play last year because he wasn’t happy with his contract.

“I was thinking about it sometimes,” he said. “If you get beat on a play and you think about your contract. It doesn’t affect me that much. I thought about it some early in the year but later on in the year it wasn’t a big deal.”

So, Philly fans, if Peters ends up being not very good at left tackle, remember this as the moment when you first wondered whether it was a good idea to trade for him.

Bye bye pig

OK - what really gets me is that this is the first time he had heard that....if you are the Bills FO, negotiating a contract, aren't you ging to bring that up, and say "hey Jason, I know you made the pro-bowl and all, but you did give up WAY too many sacks last year, and this affects the value of the contract that we or any other team will be giving you"? Not that this would've changed things, but this SHOULD HAVE been part of the Bills stance during any offer discussions. That's business! Makes me think that the Bills weren't trying all that hard (or that Parker shielded JP from the details).

...Makes me think that the Bills weren't trying all that hard (or that Parker shielded JP from the details).

I think that last part is more accurate. Peters probably wasn't even present at any of the negotiations. The Bills probably kept telling Parker about the 11.5 sacks and he probably just wasn't passing the information along. Parker was probably afraid Peters would just say "just sign it then".

Still, it's hard to believe he wouldn't know his sack number. I guess that's a sign he just didn't care. Someone should probably tell him how many of those sacks lead to fumbles or Trent being knocked out of the game.

I'm thinking Peters didn't know how many sacks he gave up, as that isn't an official NFL stat and is a pretty hard stat to score, I would imagine. How many people really know who had what assignment on any given play? Sometimes it seems obvious, but on others it isn't that clear.

Also, do they count sacks allowed on screen passes, and such? If so, how? The OL is supposed to let the defender by him, at some point.

I'm thinking Peters didn't know how many sacks he gave up, as that isn't an official NFL stat and is a pretty hard stat to score, I would imagine. How many people really know who had what assignment on any given play? Sometimes it seems obvious, but on others it isn't that clear.

Also, do they count sacks allowed on screen passes, and such? If so, how? The OL is supposed to let the defender by him, at some point.

Like most athletes he benefits from a selective memory. Just like golf you have to only think of the good shots and plays.

I think he sucked last year and that Philly over paid in dollars and in draft choices.

if Peters was so great how did the entire NFL not draft him?

Like most athletes he benefits from a selective memory. Just like golf you have to only think of the good shots and plays.

I think he sucked last year and that Philly over paid in dollars and in draft choices.

What does any of that have to do with sacks as a stat?

Peters wasn't drafted because he played TE not LT. Talk about selective memory.

EDIT: BTW, even Chuck Pollock gets it:

Of all positions, other than sacks surrendered, offensive line play is the toughest to quantify statistically.

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/articles/2...1b935652814.txt

Here is CNNSI's take on the news conference. What I find very interesting is how the media can take a quote, but spin it totally differently.

PFT's quote:

“I was thinking about it sometimes,” he said. “If you get beat on a play and you think about your contract. It doesn’t affect me that much. I thought about it some early in the year but later on in the year it wasn’t a big deal.”

CNNSI's quote:

"I was thinking about (the contract) some times last year. It didn't affect me that much. I thought about it some early in the year, but later in the year it wasn't a big deal."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/foot...s.ap/index.html

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/19/...acks-last-year/

What a douche. Thank God he's gone.

Maybe because that is a totally made up stat. The guy who put it together is just some guy with an opinion, not anybody who actually knows anything. It is only through the wild "someone said" grapevine of the internet that it has been treated as a legitimate stat.

The schmo who put those stats together counted sacks where the guy didn't get to the QB till well after 5 seconds have passed. In any sensible universe, that sack goes against the QB, not the OL. He also counted sacks where he simply didn't know who was supposed to block the sacker. Charging Peters when it was Dockery's man seems a bit strange. Yet on many of these plays it is far from obvious whose man made the sack.

The bonehead who asked the question as if it was a legit stat is the douche.

Maybe he didn't give up all 11.5 sacks but if you look at the video, even on plays where there was no sack he played like crap.

PTR

I saw that at the beginning of the year. At the end, not so much. Strangely, the Eagles saw fit to give him $10 mill per year. And the Eagles, unlike the Bills, are long-term consistent winners who have a consistently good o-line. Maybe, just maybe, they know something.

This reminds me of that Probowl comment he made at the end of the season. Funny thing is some people around here were defending that comment and saying it meant nothing. Wonder what they think of Peters now?

I defended Peters on that remark. I desperately wish he were still a Bill. Hope that answers your question. Peters is a bit of a wack job, and not the most articulate guy. He's just a terrific OT, though.

I think that last part is more accurate. Peters probably wasn't even present at any of the negotiations. The Bills probably kept telling Parker about the 11.5 sacks and he probably just wasn't passing the information along. Parker was probably afraid Peters would just say "just sign it then".

Still, it's hard to believe he wouldn't know his sack number. I guess that's a sign he just didn't care. Someone should probably tell him how many of those sacks lead to fumbles or Trent being knocked out of the game.

Again, the 11.5 is a totally bogus number.

I don't know. Think it could have been because his college coach made him a 330 pound tight end? Think that might have had something to do with it?