Did anyone here likes the O-line from last season??

SKOOBY

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure they did. They could have limped-along with Dockery, thereby not having to admit they made a huge mistake there. They could also have paid Peters $11.5M a year.

How much should they have spent to keep a 7-9 O-line together?? $25 M?? We had nothing going in / out but question marks and we as fans cried out for a change & got it. Revamp the team and find new weapons to score.

Sure they did. They could have limped-along with Dockery, thereby not having to admit they made a huge mistake there. They could also have paid Peters $11.5M a year.

Was Dockery that bad? The Redskins didn't seem to think so. I thought our problems were with the center position? Have we addressed that so it's better going into the up and coming season? Jason Peters wanted out and received his wish.

Only time will tell..........hopefully we can build an offensive line on the cheap.

Was Dockery that bad? The Redskins didn't seem to think so. I thought our problems were with the center position? Have we addressed that so it's better going into the up and coming season? Jason Peters wanted out and received his wish.

Only time will tell..........hopefully we can build an offensive line on the cheap.

Yes, Dockery was that bad. The Bills are loathe to cut players to whom they've given big contracts, and Dockery got the biggest in Bills history at the time. Yet after just 2 seasons and paying him $18M, they cut him. I don't think they took that lightly. And since when are the Redskins a judge of anything except how spending money doesn't guarantee you anything? If anything, their pickup of Dockery should warn you, since many of their pickups fail.

As for center, the Bills signed Hangartner. Center options were limited in FA, with Brown and Grove being overpaid it not overhyped (in Groves' case), and Birk only wanting to play for Minny or Balto. As I've stated, a lot of Panthers fans were sad to see him go and thought he was good enough to keep and start. Meanwhile the Panthers let Justin Hartwig go, and he only went on to anchor the SB-winning Steelers' O-line, while Kalil and the rest of the interior of the Panthers' O-line got injured, but were bailed-out by Hangartner.

Who knows what the exact deal was with Peters? For a guy who allegedly was a Bills fan growing up, he sure acted like a jerk. I think had he shown-up last off-season, the Bills would have started taking new contract. But we'll never know now.

Neither did the FO, that's why they blew it up. 7-9 record for 3 years running, time for a change.

I didn't like the OL last year but it had nothing to do with Peters- Dockery, Fowler, Preston, and Butler were all worthless and weak- Butler may have been the best of that motley crew (he didn't totally wiff or forget assignments) but he got no push in the running game and got pushed right back into the pocket way to often on pass plays.

Dockery's wife wanted to go "home" which was the D.C. area. Imagine going from D.C. to B Lo. Talk about shock value. She wanted out, he wanted out of a crappy organization. Bills wanted out of his salary> Everyone happy. Life goes on.

I didn't like the OL last year but it had nothing to do with Peters- Dockery, Fowler, Preston, and Butler were all worthless and weak- Butler may have been the best of that motley crew (he didn't totally wiff or forget assignments) but he got no push in the running game and got pushed right back into the pocket way to often on pass plays.

Peters looked aweful at times as well, simply lost.

I don't know where you got your observations, but Lynch averaged 4.9 YPC going to the right side and Jackson averaged 4.0. And Butler gave-up just 1 sacks in 13 starts. And I'm sure playing next to Preston/Fowler didn't help.

I don't know where you got your observations, but Lynch averaged 4.9 YPC going to the right side and Jackson averaged 4.0. And Butler gave-up just 1 sacks in 13 starts. And I'm sure playing next to Preston/Fowler didn't help.

Schedule is harder this year, major changes were needed.

I'm with you. The pass protection was great at times - there were times the QB had all day to scan the field but couldn't seem to find anyone open. Neither QB has good instincts in the pocket, especially JP! How many coverage sacks did the QB's give up for god sacks? Some need to get off the stats and look at the tape and you will notice such things. While Peters led the league in sacks given up, how many were recorded when his man actually beat him? And even if he got occasionally beat, usually his man was a non-factor.

Now the running game lacked push, especially when Butler went out the lineup for a few games. I feel that a center upgrade combined with one less defender in the box due to the arrival of T.O. would greatly improve the running game. A bigger problem with our running game was the scheme in that we had one of the largest O-ine in the league but we didn't play to its strength it that we insisted on being a zone blocking team. SMASH MOUTH would have been the way to go. That combined with OBVIOUS playcalling based on personell grouping commands a DOMINANT DO WHAT YOU WANT type O-line; the Hogs like the Skins had back in the day.

So if the question is if I think the O-line last year was dominant nasty group that mauled people and did what they wanted to do then no. But they were far from pathetic as the O-line the past 3 years has been way better than the 5 years that proceeded it! And remember in this age of NFL parity, assembling a DOMINANT squad is rare as there really isn't that much of a gap between the elite and average talent, coaching, scheming and getting the most out of your talent means way more in today's NFL!

Dockery's wife wanted to go "home" which was the D.C. area. Imagine going from D.C. to B Lo. Talk about shock value. She wanted out, he wanted out of a crappy organization. Bills wanted out of his salary> Everyone happy. Life goes on.

Dockery was a crappy player. The Bills made a huge mistake signing him, but corrected that mistake by dumping his worthless azz after just 2 years into a 7-year deal. The sad thing is that this waste of space pocketed $18M the last 2 years and got another overpaid contract with the Redskins, who are almost as "crappy" an organization as the Bills, but they just spend money like it's water on players that don't produce for them.

In my opinion there is probably lot of truth to that statement. If the Bills did offer 10M a year compared to his request for 11 or 12 M a year, the fact that they agreed to an extension with Philadelphia in hours smells like Peters always wanted to get out of Buffalo. For a player that was a UDFA, I cannot believe he wanted to move somewhere else for an extra 1M a year unless he really wanted to leave here.

Actually the Bills were going to send Dockery to Detroit in a trade...They just did not file the papers in time. In fact Dockery was ok with going to Detroit and actually went to detroit for a Physical.

using a cheap, patchwork OL made up of castoffs and bad rookies has worked so well for the team over the last 15 years. :wallbash:

by not spending resources on the OL, they have afforded themselves the luxury of spending numerous picks (3 #1s, 2 #2s,3,4,5) on QBs whose careers were promptly destroyed by lack of pass protection and run blocking

at least the team has consistently made the playoffs

I wonder if there is a corelation there :D

Dockery was a crappy player. The Bills made a huge mistake signing him, but corrected that mistake by dumping his worthless azz after just 2 years into a 7-year deal. The sad thing is that this waste of space pocketed $18M the last 2 years and got another overpaid contract with the Redskins, who are almost as "crappy" an organization as the Bills, but they just spend money like it's water on players that don't produce for them.

what is your official title in the Bills front office?

it is impossible for any fan to support the idiotic moves of this team to the level you do, unless they are being compensated for posting such drivel.

thanks

In my opinion there is probably lot of truth to that statement. If the Bills did offer 10M a year compared to his request for 11 or 12 M a year, the fact that they agreed to an extension with Philadelphia in hours smells like Peters always wanted to get out of Buffalo. For a player that was a UDFA, I cannot believe he wanted to move somewhere else for an extra 1M a year unless he really wanted to leave here.

can't understand why he would want to leave a perennial playoff team with a crackerjack front office positioning the team for a Super Bowl run.

just look at the expert handling of the Fred JAckson situation

and who wouldn't be impressed with trading the league leading punt returner for a 5th round pick

If he stayed in Buffalo, he would have easily gotten a deal similar to Philly - right after he showed up for 2 more years and proved he was worth it :D