Looking at the Bills depth chart as of today

San-O

The depth chart looks kind of a mess right now, as nobody knows for sure what is going to

happen with the O-line, and D-line is again a major need area at least at DE as I see it.

There are 4 starters from the Ol' Whitey era that I count, so the Bills front office has basically re-made the

team over the past three years. I fully expect Kelsay to be replaced or gone, so that number may even go down.

What has really changed? Looks a lot the same to me. :thumbdown:

Buffalo has also drafted 7 DB's in the past three years, five (5) on day 1 or round 4. Do we expect this DB envy to change?

Buffalo has draft zero (0) O-linemen day 1 over that same span.

I'm not really sure.

The depth chart looks kind of a mess right now, as nobody knows for sure what is going to

happen with the O-line, and D-line is again a major need area at least at DE as I see it.

There are 4 starters from the Ol' Whitey era that I count, so the Bills front office has basically re-made the

team over the past three years. I fully expect Kelsay to be replaced or gone, so that number may even go down.

Buffalo has also drafted 7 DB's in the past three years, five (5) on day 1 or round 4. Do we expect this DB envy to change?

I'm not really sure.

not to defend the current regime as I dont like them at all but its not much different now then when TD was running the show either

TD was an overrated ego maniac and the guys that replaced him are non-qualified yes men

not drafting any 0-lineman on the first day for this long is a joke

As long as Jauron is here theres no reason for me to think this will change.

If we go Corner or Saftey with our first round pick I'll be livid.

Right. I really don't see how they possibly could, but you never know. That would be three (3) first round

picks in the secondary.

I'm not really sure.

It has changed. It's gotten worse. Donahoe ended up being an egotistical joke. Marv Levy came in and try as he might, actually made things worse with his inexperience in management and hiring of Jauron. Now all we have is the circle jerks with their collaborations, and Jauron still the head coach.

Despite all of that, with a little luck on the injury front, there is still enough talent on this roster to inch towards the playoffs this year with the addition of a motivated T.O. and his usual 10 TD catches counted into the mix! Here's the most important thing that must happen for the Bills to compete in '09: Edwards has to stay healthy, and whoever ends up being on the OL, they must keep Edwards upright long enough for him to get the ball to his new weapon Owens, and his old weapon but now more open Evans! Everything else will fall into place if the Bills can suddenly become at a top 10 - 15 offense for the entire season.

BTW, again I didn't realize that Jauron's calling the shots on draft day.

Also, we have already drafted Reggie Corner. I doubt the Bills would draft Dominick Saftey...at least not on day one.

I'm not really sure.

Did you know San Diego drafted a DB with one of their top 2 picks every year for the past 4 years?

Did you know the Giants have spent 3 of their last 4 1st & 2nd round picks on DBs?

Did you know that Denver took DBs in the first round for 3 straight seasons earlier this decade?

Did you know that the Eagles have drafted more DBs than any other team in football since 2004?

Did you know that at least 5 teams have drafted multiple DBs in the top 3 rounds since 2005?

Did you know that the Colts drafted Big Ten DBs with their top picks in the 2003 and 2004 drafts?

I'm sure I'm not the only one sick and tired of reading this BS about how "the Bills only draft DBs". It's nonsense. They don't draft any more DBs than anyone else. Let's all let it go.

Did you know San Diego drafted a DB with one of their top 2 picks every year for the past 4 years?

Did you know the Giants have spent 3 of their last 4 1st & 2nd round picks on DBs?

Did you know that Denver took DBs in the first round for 3 straight seasons earlier this decade?

Did you know that the Eagles have drafted more DBs than any other team in football since 2004?

Did you know that at least 5 teams have drafted multiple DBs in the top 3 rounds since 2005?

Did you know that the Colts drafted Big Ten DBs with their top picks in the 2003 and 2004 drafts?

I'm sure I'm not the only one sick and tired of reading this BS about how "the Bills only draft DBs". It's nonsense. They don't draft any more DBs than anyone else. Let's all let it go.

to add to it, the titans have taken 4 first round DBs in the past 8 years.

Thank god for more negative Bills posts!!! We need some more!!! :thumbdown:

Defense ranking in 2005 (TD's last year): 28th

This year's defense: 14th

2005 Offense rank: 27th

2008 rank: 25th

And overall, we have a much younger nucleus. I know we should all the Bills but this team is in much better shape now than it was after 2005.

The NFL has insured that QBs and WRs, the pass game is the big deal in the last decade Their marketing studies successfully predicting a growing hot pocket, gnats' attention span viewership...

So teams pay for DBs.

I'm not really sure.

Juron has nightmares of Brett Favre and Tom Brady bombing passes over his secondary.

Ralph Wilson has nightmares of signing checks to keep DBs around (Greer, Clements, Winfield)

The result:

We keep drafting DBs and Safetys.

Here's to McGee's last season in Buffalo and to another 1st rd corner.

The statistic of us drafting 7 DB's in the past three years just exemplifies Jauron's obsession with the secondary.

From the TSW Wonderlich Test I'm compiling. Which of the above two things is not like the other? :thumbdown:

We could draft defensive backs with our first 2 pickes each year for the next 4 years and we still woul dbe bad in passing defense as we have nopass rush. A good pass rush makes average dbs look good, like the NY Giants. A bad pash rush makes good Dbs look like ours. We need multiple rushers at this point toi help our defense.

Now our offense needs blockers or it too will make our Qb and Rbs look much worse then they really are.

The NFL has insured that QBs and WRs, the pass game is the big deal in the last decade Their marketing studies successfully predicting a growing hot pocket, gnats' attention span viewership...

So teams pay for DBs.

Well, with all the new rules in place to protect our precious wittle quaterbacks, we're honestly not too far off from a point where DEs are essentially obsolete. If you can't touch the QB anymore, coverage will be at a premium.

Did you know your tone is annoying?

Did you know five (5) is more than 4, and 3? Almost certainly seven (7) is.

Did you know I was referring to the drafts starting with 2006?

Did you know the Bills have drafted only one (1) O-lineman not in the 7th round over that time?

Do you know if anybody has drafted more DBs than the Bills since 2006?

Do you know if anybody has drafted fewer O-linemen than the Bills since 2006?

Did you know your tone is annoying?

Did you know five (5) is more than 4, and 3. Almost certainly more than seven (7)?

Did you know I was referring to the drafts starting with 2006?

Did you know the Bills have drafted only one (1) O-lineman not in the 7th round over that time?

Do you know if anybody has drafted more DBs than the Bills since 2006?

Do you know if anybody has drafted fewer O-linemen than the Bills since 2006?

Not drafting early OL has been a problem for the Bills going back 12 or so years.

But, the Bills DO NOT draft more DBs than the average NFL team, no matter how much you scream and yell. Repeating the same incorrect statement does not make it true.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=66210&hl=

Theres a lot or talk on the boards about the bills drafting strategy lately, namely about the way the Bills use some picks on CBs. I've run some numbers to simply see what the league says about this arguement. I took a look at all DBs drafted by teams in rounds 1-3 (the old "day 1" picks). I feel that these picks can be expected to reasonably complete and develop into NFL players. I also tracked drafts back to, and including the 2001 draft. That gives the past 7 years (to me, a reasonable time frame), plus this most recent draft. Heres the results.

The average team in the NFL has drafted 5.03 DBs in the first 3 rounds since 2001.

The Bills have drafted 5 DBs in this same span.

The most DB picks spent are by the Colts (10), Chargers (8), Raiders (7), and Packers (7)

The fewest DB picks spent are by the Texans (2), Dolphins (2), Buccs (3), and 49ers (3)

The average NFL team has spent 1.56 first rounders on DBs in that 8 year span.

The Bills have spent 3 firsts, along with 4 other teams.

The most firsts spent are the Raiders (5), and the Chargers (4)

6 teams have NOT spent a 1st rounder on a DB in that span, the Browns, Chiefs, Saints, Bears, Vikings, and Lions.

For those that say no one drafts like the Bills did in 2006, there are some other notable times teams have spent lots of early picks in the DB(we'll call them BillinNYC drafts).

Philly in '02 spent the #26, 58, and 59 picks on DBs

San Diego in '03 spent the #30, 46, and 62 picks on DBs

Seattle in '03 spent the #11 and 42 picks on DBs

Denver in '05 spent their 1st 3 picks, 56, 76, 97 on DBs

In the 07 and 08 drafts, the giants have spent the #20 (2007) and then the #31 and 63 picks this year on DBs.

Some general thoughts:

Teams that do NOT spend picks on the secondary generally have bad secondaries. Note the teams with 0 first rounders spent, 5 of the 6 (bears excluded) have had traditionally garbage secondaries. Also, teams that spent few picks on DBs generally have bad secondaries (miami, houston, san fran) The Buccs have only spent a few picks on DBs, but they have had Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly locking down the CB position for a long time now, thus having no need to replenish the secondary.

The good teams over the past few years have had wildly different strategies for building their good teams. Some good teams spend more picks on DBs, and some good teams spend fewer picks on DBs. There is no one set formula to follow. The numbers are all over the board.

In conclusion:

While there is no set method for being a good team, it seems to be that ignoring the secondary on draft day is simply not a smart move. Teams that ignore the secondary early on draft day have bad secondaries. If you look at the teams with few picks early spent on DBs, you'll see a shortage of victories and playoff success.

Not drafting early OL has been a problem for the Bills going back 12 or so years.

But, the Bills DO NOT draft more DBs than the average NFL team, no matter how much you scream and yell. Repeating the same incorrect statement does not make it true.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=66210&hl=

Who has drafted MORE DBs than the Bills (7) since 2006?

Do you understand the question?

I think the drafting and the free agent acquisitions have been fairly consistent across the Donahoe and post-Donahoe eras, which makes sense since many of the same people (Modrak and Guy) have been leading the efforts during both periods. While I believe our drafting over the last number of years merits a slightly above average grade (maybe a :thumbdown:, I think our efforts in free agency should get close to an F (maybe a D-). I am shocked that Guy is still around, and I think the team would be significantly better if we had more success in our free agent signings since our drafting has not been terrible.

But you won't be surprised with this current front office. I'd be livid as well, but not surprised. Not after three years ago when Buffalo selected a safety and corner with 2 of their top 3 picks. And yet three years later we're still talking about improving the DL and OL. Funny how some things never change.

BTW, again I didn't realize that Jauron's calling the shots on draft day.

When 80 year old Marv Levy reported for duty as GM in January 06, he needed someone to rely on for help during the offseason and crafting a team. I think it was obvious Levy was looking for someone like himself and DJ fit the bill. DJ "advised" Marv on a lot of things, and the picks that year represent DJ's personnel control.

Let's also not forget that DJ had personnel control in Chicago before GM Jerry Angelo showed up. DJ and JA didn't get along when the latter began making decisions on players. So it's safe to believe DJ probably wanted some control when he came here.

I also believe involving Modrak into the "inner circle" and dropping stories about TM liking Cutler was a way of saying DJ wasn't as good in personnel as they thought and his opinion didn't carry as much weight. He's still there, but not like Draft Day 06.

Who has drafted MORE DBs than the Bills (7) since 2006?

Do you understand the question?

Atlanta has drafted 6.

Chicago has drafted 6.

Indy has drafted 6. (including consecutive drafts where they took 3 DBs)

KC has drafted 6.

The Giants have drafted 6.

Tampa has drafted 6.

Additionally, 12 other teams have taken 5 DBs in the past 3 years.

So lets add it up. Counting the Bills, 18/32 teams (~56%) have drafted at least 5 DBs in the past 3 years. But lets pretend like every other team in the league rarely drafts DBs and the Bills are the only team that drafts lots of them. Because, you know, 7 is soo many more picks than 6.

Atlanta drafted 7 since 2006:

2008 - Chevis Jackson, Thomas DeCoud, Willey Fontenot

2007 - Chris Houston, David Irons, Darren Stone

2006 - Jimmy Williams

Chicago drafted 7 since 2006:

2008 - Craig Steltz, Zach Bowman

2007 - Kevin Payne, Corey Graham, Trumaine McBride

2006 - Danieal Manning, Devin Hester

But I'm sure that it's my tone that's annoying, and not the fact that I don't allow the slanted view on Jauron and DBs to slide without commenting.