NFL Schedule maker Howard Katz

NY Nole

He was just on Sirius NFL radio talking about the schedule in general. When asked about the Bills/Jets game in Toronto -- he said that no one from OBD expressed any displeasure with this scenario.

Which tells me (1) he is lying or (2) the Bills FO confused the Mets with the Jets. How can anyone think moving a division game to Toronto is not a disadvantage to the Bills?

Of course they expressed no displeasure. Ralph and the NFL want to make sure that Toronto fans are well versed in our division rivals so that they already have deep rooted hatred for them by the time the Bills move to Toronto. Rivalries sell more tickets.

Next year's game will be against the Pats. It's all part of the plan.

That's still a pretty lame reason NOT to go to home playoff game. That game will always be a black eye to me. People like to brag how good fans we are but we haven't always shown up. I recall the last home playoff game, Bills/Jax - Kelly's last game, was a struggle to sell out. I think one of the TV stations still had to buy the last few thousands seats anyway. Meanwhile a place like KC shows up no matter what. We're good...just not great.

PTR

The jacksonville game was not a sellout & was not on local tv.

The fact is people are just generally pissed about any games in Toronto. It doesn't matter what game is played there. People will find reason to complain. Wait a few years. You'll be wishing for the days when it was only one or two games.

PTR

Promo for the most part I typically like what you have to say on most subjects. I can agree to an extent of displeasure arising from any game being played in Toronto. However, you must admit after the Miami debacle last season it should have been stated point blank by the Bills organization that NO DIVISIONAL GAMES should be played in Toronto. It might be classified as a home game but its TWO AWAY GAMES in the division where we have no advantage.

I do agree on the rest of your premise Peole would be Pissed if we were playing the Colts in Toronto in January which would have given Manning more of a homefield then us. But keep the divisional games out of Toronto.

ON another unrelated note. WHY the hell are we playing two divisional games as night games are we not good enough to play any other team primetime????

Promo for the most part I typically like what you have to say on most subjects. I can agree to an extent of displeasure arising from any game being played in Toronto. However, you must admit after the Miami debacle last season it should have been stated point blank by the Bills organization that NO DIVISIONAL GAMES should be played in Toronto. It might be classified as a home game but its TWO AWAY GAMES in the division where we have no advantage.

I do agree on the rest of your premise Peole would be Pissed if we were playing the Colts in Toronto in January which would have given Manning more of a homefield then us. But keep the divisional games out of Toronto.

ON another unrelated note. WHY the hell are we playing two divisional games as night games are we not good enough to play any other team primetime????

1. The Bills FO can state their preference of no division games in TO 'til they are blue in the face, ultimately they have zero say in the matter.

2. The Bills' Canadian partners I assume would be livid if they knew Jauron, Brandon and the rest lobbied the league to give Toronto a relatively inconsequential contest, given their substantial investment and their troubles already selling tickets.

3. Not sure I get the primetime point. It seems that divisional games would be the obvious choice for primetime, since those contests mean the most and Buffalo doesn't have any significant out-of-division rivals.

yes, and just hoping he doesn't torch us in front of our canadien friends and a thu. nite nat'l tv audience B-)

You forget that the Canadians have already seen Losman play in person. If they knew he was making a return trip with the Jets, it may well convince them to stay home.

The fact is people are just generally pissed about any games in Toronto. It doesn't matter what game is played there. People will find reason to complain. Wait a few years. You'll be wishing for the days when it was only one or two games.

PTR

Actually I think the Toronto thing will be a long term benefit for Bills fans. The Bills laid an egg up there last year. It was a horrible game to watch. Jauron is likely to get a similar result from his team this year. By the time this Toronto deal renews, nobody in Toronto will want to see this team play and the Bills will have a new head coach. Silver lining.

The big stink last year was that we lost weather advantage by playing a warm weather team in the dome. So the NFL schedules a cold weather team this year, and we start complaining about it being a divisional game, and a closer team that will fill Toronto with unfriendly fans....in reality, there will be complaints with any game scheduled there, and there will always be less Bills-cheering fans than at the Ralph, regardless of opponent (and especially if they play as lousy as they did last year).

And besides, the true football fans in TO are Argos fans, and they are not likely to change allegiance easily, so they'll be quick to boo the Bills whenever things go bad. Money wise, its a good move to play in TO, but that's about it....

I think the same. So...when were the Bills brass given an opportunity to complain? Katz is right, they didn't voice displeasure because they didn't have a chance to (and they never would publically).

They agreed to a div game in Toronto last year. They did it again this year. Why is anyone surprised?

If the Bills didn't want it this way they wouldn't have had to wait to see the schedule. They could have simply said: "we don't want any div games played in Toronto".

They agreed to a div game in Toronto last year. They did it again this year. Why is anyone surprised?

If the Bills didn't want it this way they wouldn't have had to wait to see the schedule. They could have simply said: "we don't want any div games played in Toronto".

If they were serious about building a fan base in Toronto, they would schedule the weakest out of division opponent to play in TO.

Again, why do people under the impression that the Bills coaches and executives have any say in the team's schedule? It's just not true. There is a period of time that teams can voice concerns/conflicts to Katz and the rest of the schedule guys about things like concerts, construction projects around the stadiums, baseball concerns, and other potential conflicts/inconveniences. Katz and his team try to keep those things in mind when making the schedule, but obviously can't ever accommodate everyone.

The only surefire way the Bills could have avoided this situation was to write a provision into their original agreement with Rogers et al that stated: "divisional games are exempt from consideration" or something to that effect. It is way too late now, and any whiny outrage by Brandon, Jauron or anyone else in the FO is just posturing for the Buffalo fans.

Untrue. Sold out in both years, but too late to lift the blackout in '06. Attendance over 71,000 for both games.

That I can't answer -- Graham or Wawrow probably could -- but I'm guessing they do get a chance to see it before it's finalized.

Lori:

As far as I know, the Bills have maintained that they have absolutely no control over the schedule or determining who they play in Toronto. I can only report what I know.

jw

No.