Bobby April receives ST Coach of the Year award

Beerball

Coordinators with no head coaching experience are often appointed, especially after firings. Some do quite well. Mike Singletary, for example.

Are you equating Mike Singletary and Bobby April on the same level experience wise?

because people dont grow and learn over 20 years? because 20 years experience in coaching doesnt count for anything?

what planet do you all come from?

Ah, yes. You're right. Over the last twenty years it is safe to just assume that April has gotten first hand experience in everything there is to know about offense and defensive schemes, strategy and personnel.

While I don't agree with your tone, you're pretty spot on with the analysis. The only ST coach that ever became a head coach that I can remember is Gruden, and I'm not all that sold on him as a coach. He won a Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's team and never did anything again.

Its not that he is a special teams coach, its that he's a special teams coach only. He's coached some tight ends and corner here and there over twenty years ago, but that's it. Gruden, Harbaugh... people like that eventually moved from special teams to a positional coach and coordinator role before being considered as a head coach. April had little to no experience on the NFL level at coaching ANYTHING other than special teams.

I admire April for the job he does on ST and for the fact that he understands his limitations and thus has not persued a HC opportunity.

Let's face it , boys, there aren't a lot of decisions to make when punting, kicking or receiving same. You either have decent personnel and a good returner or two or you don't--Bobby April or no.

I forgot. </idiot>

You forgot the starting tag too.....

<idiot> I forgot. </idiot> B-)

How could any Bills fan forget that he started as a special teams coach?

Levy began his pro coaching career in 1969 as kicking teams coach for the Philadelphia Eagles before joining George Allen's staff as a special teams coach for the Los Angeles Rams in 1970. He followed Allen to Washington in 1971, where he served as the Redskins special teams coach for two seasons. Levy then served as the head coach of the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League for five seasons.

This how he got part of the George Allen coaching tree.

Levy never served as offense OR defensive coach going from special teams to head coach (jr), to head coach (Alouettes, Kansas City Chiefs, Chicago Blitz, Buffalo Bills).

Its not that he is a special teams coach, its that he's a special teams coach only. He's coached some tight ends and corner here and there over twenty years ago, but that's it. Gruden, Harbaugh... people like that eventually moved from special teams to a positional coach and coordinator role before being considered as a head coach. April had little to no experience on the NFL level at coaching ANYTHING other than special teams.

Like Marv Levy - maybe April ought to field some CFL Head Coaching calls?

You forgot the starting tag too.....

<idiot> I forgot. </idiot> B-)

How could any Bills fan forget that he started as a special teams coach?

Levy began his pro coaching career in 1969 as kicking teams coach for the Philadelphia Eagles before joining George Allen's staff as a special teams coach for the Los Angeles Rams in 1970. He followed Allen to Washington in 1971, where he served as the Redskins special teams coach for two seasons. Levy then served as the head coach of the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League for five seasons.

This how he got part of the George Allen coaching tree.

Levy never served as offense OR defensive coach going from special teams to head coach (jr), to head coach (Alouettes, Kansas City Chiefs, Chicago Blitz, Buffalo Bills).

Like Marv Levy - maybe April ought to field some CFL Head Coaching calls?

I didn't. It's like the sacasm thing but not really.