Why do we play Jacksonville so much?

Kingfish

Fluke of the NFL schedule formula

Each team plays the other three teams in their division twice: once at home, and once on the road (six games).

Each team plays the four teams from another division within its own conference once on a rotating three-year cycle: two at home, and two on the road (four games).

Each team plays the four teams from a division in the other conference once on a rotating four-year cycle: two at home, and two on the road (four games).

-This year the AFC East plays the AFC South. So we play Jax, Indy, Tenny, and Houston. Just like we played those 4 teams in 2006 and 2003

Each team plays once against the other teams in its conference that finished in the same place in their own divisions as themselves, not counting the division they were already scheduled to play: one at home, one on the road (two games).

-In 2008 the Bills finished last in the AFC East :rolleyes:. So did the Browns and Chiefs, which is why they are on the Bills 2009 schedule

So, in summary we play the Jags so often because....

2009 - Regular NFL rotation

2008 - Bills and Jags both finished 2nd in division in 2007

2007 - Bills and Jags both finished 3rd in division in 2006

2006 - Regular NFL rotation

2005 - Did not play

2004 - Bills and Jets tied for 3rd/4th. Jags and Texans tied for 3rd/4th. Not sure what tiebreaker was

2003 - Regular NFL rotation

in the both conferences, we play a rotating division each year(this year happens to be the AFC South/NFC South, which is why we have Jacksonville again), along with playing the same place teams in the other two AFC divisions from the previous season(hence Cleveland and KC being on our schedule----4th place team in AFC North, 4th place team in AFC West). In the previous 2 years, the Jags must have finished in the same place in their division as we did, so it was basically a coincidence...

Fluke of the NFL schedule formula

Each team plays the other three teams in their division twice: once at home, and once on the road (six games).

Each team plays the four teams from another division within its own conference once on a rotating three-year cycle: two at home, and two on the road (four games).

Each team plays the four teams from a division in the other conference once on a rotating four-year cycle: two at home, and two on the road (four games).

-This year the AFC East plays the AFC South. So we play Jax, Indy, Tenny, and Houston. Just like we played those 4 teams in 2006 and 2003

Each team plays once against the other teams in its conference that finished in the same place in their own divisions as themselves, not counting the division they were already scheduled to play: one at home, one on the road (two games).

-In 2008 the Bills finished last in the AFC East <_<. So did the Browns and Chiefs, which is why they are on the Bills 2009 schedule

So, in summary we play the Jags so often because....

2009 - Regular NFL rotation

2008 - Bills and Jags both finished 2nd in division in 2007

2007 - Bills and Jags both finished 3rd in division in 2006

2006 - Regular NFL rotation

2005 - Did not play

2004 - Bills and Jets tied for 3rd/4th. Jags and Texans tied for 3rd/4th. Not sure what tiebreaker was

2003 - Regular NFL rotation

I knew all that. But wayyyyy too lazy to do the typing on that. But thank you for the great explanation.

yeah i was thinking the same. too bad the clowns have beat us the past two years...

Scheduling can be so fluky - the Bills played/will play the Browns in 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010. But before that, it was only once from 1991-2003. Granted, the Browns weren't playing a for a few of those years, but it took us six years to play the revived Browns once they showed up.

I hope you are joking. We play them this year because they are in AFC South. Last season because they finished prior season second in their division, same as Buffalo.

I hope so too - otherwise it's just another example of someone spouting off without knowing any facts. Great.

yeah i was thinking the same. too bad the clowns have beat us the past two years...

I'd love to play them 16 times this year, if we could.....if we lose to them again this year, I'm moving to Canada and becoming a curling fan....