I went ahead and got a mac

Corp000085

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically - make sure you have backups! (which you should be doing regardless of whether it's a regular drive or an SSD)

I use time machine (mac's incremental auto backup program) running to a USB hard drive connected directly to the airport extreme. THAT drive is backed up by my RAID 1 NAS on a weekly basis. Basically, the only thing that would cause a data loss scenario is one that makes my loss of music and pictures inconsequential (i.e. house fire, stray bomb from Ft. Bragg, Nuclear fallout, swine flu outbreak, etc.)

As far as failure rates, I do understand that SSDs have a limited life, like HDDs do, however, they're far more reliable than HDDs and have less variables that contribute to failure.

As far as failure rates, I do understand that SSDs have a limited life, like HDDs do, however, they're far more reliable than HDDs and have less variables that contribute to failure.

Less variables, yes. More reliable? Time will tell.

Regardless - I highly recommend http://www.mozy.com for offsite backups.

Less variables, yes. More reliable? Time will tell.

Regardless - I highly recommend http://www.mozy.com for offsite backups.

I had mozy for about a year. I found it to be a resource hog, so now i just rotate a HDD out of my RAID box and into my safety deposit box at the bank.

I had mozy for about a year. I found it to be a resource hog, so now i just rotate a HDD out of my RAID box and into my safety deposit box at the bank.

Mozy can be configured as to how many resources you give it -- faster PC = slower backup. However, after the initial backup (which can easily take a month, depending on how much you're uploading), I never even notice it's running anymore...

Just checked, and it's using 0% of CPU, and 47M of RAM (between both processes); my PC has been on for a couple of weeks straight.

Not sure why you experienced issues.

With a Mac you won't get the BSOD that incapacitated an aircraft carrier several years back (or did they change the color now?)

not entirely true. macs do have a grey screen of death if they have a kernel panic. its very rare that you run into them, but it can happen. i had a macbook that had it's logic board go bad. luckily, i had the apple care on it (always get the apple care). they had it shipped back to me as good as new 4 days later.

as far as i can recall, that was the only time ive ever encountered the GSOD throughout all of my years on macs.

• 2 weeks later...

So in this very thread were are hearing about MACS suffering from ALL the same issues as PCs...but they are somehow better than PCs?

Dont buy it.

If its a better interface for the UE, fine. But this notion that MACs are infallible and PCs are garbage is a bunch of hooey.

Bought a new 24" iMac today. The screen is gorgeous! This replaces both the G4 PowerMac I bought off craigslist (and it's big azz CRT monitor) and the G3 iBook I bought at CompUSA in 2001.

So in this very thread were are hearing about MACS suffering from ALL the same issues as PCs...but they are somehow better than PCs?

no, "not all of the same issues" at all. they ARE better than PCs. nothing is perfect, but makes have far less problems than PCs. My 3 year old Mac Book that I have logged probably 10-12 hours a day on, everyday, runs as well as a 3 month old PC. and better than a 6 month old PC.

Dont buy it.

If its a better interface for the UE, fine. But this notion that MACs are infallible and PCs are garbage is a bunch of hooey.

Again, nothing is infallible, but they are a lot less likely to fail you. and unfortunately, for the way 99% of the population uses them... PCs are garbage.

Bought a new 24" iMac today. The screen is gorgeous! This replaces both the G4 PowerMac I bought off craigslist (and it's big azz CRT monitor) and the G3 iBook I bought at CompUSA in 2001.

I just got the same myself! (Although I got a previous version, refurbished by Apple). This replaces the 15 Inch Flat Panel iMac G4 that was still going strong after seven years (I had put in a faster -- and quieter -- HD and maxed out the RAM, but it was starting to get too slow for this day and age).

I know that I overpaid for the hardware part of it, but it sure is a lot more fun than my work PC.

Again, nothing is infallible, but they are a lot less likely to fail you

As I've said before though - that's due to the HARDWARE, not the software. There's a reason you can't build your own MacOS box -- because Apple wants tight controls over the hardware configurations.

If you're willing to spend a little more for decent components, your PC will run just as well as your Mac. I have a dual-processor (yes, two physical CPUs) Opteron system that I built 4+ years ago - and it runs just as well as any new PC/Mac that you buy now. I haven't even reinstalled the OS, like I usually do every few years, since I've been busy with work and life.

As I've said before though - that's due to the HARDWARE, not the software. There's a reason you can't build your own MacOS box -- because Apple wants tight controls over the hardware configurations.

If you're willing to spend a little more for decent components, your PC will run just as well as your Mac. I have a dual-processor (yes, two physical CPUs) Opteron system that I built 4+ years ago - and it runs just as well as any new PC/Mac that you buy now. I haven't even reinstalled the OS, like I usually do every few years, since I've been busy with work and life.

i dont disagree with any of this. if you are saying that you could spend the same amount as a mac on a pc and make a reliable box, then id say of course you could.

but thats kinda the point as well. people say when you buy a mac youre buying the marketing and the shiny object and paying a premium for it. but in actuality, youre paying for a superior machine.

i also understand that, for the same money, you could make a much more powerful PC too.

but the point stands. you get what you pay for. and you can buy the best and feel good about your investment. or buy something that might be ok, and have to rebuild it a few times.

Bought the parts for a sick gaming rig yesterday, and paid much less than i would if i had bought it from Dell or HP. Can you imagine how much it would have cost from Apple, not to mention that it wouldn't even be able to perform its function?

I'll take 10 minutes of maintenance a week over paying 150% more, and not being able to play games.

Bought the parts for a sick gaming rig yesterday, and paid much less than i would if i had bought it from Dell or HP. Can you imagine how much it would have cost from Apple, not to mention that it wouldn't even be able to perform its function?

Your assuming that your needs fit into Apple's market niche

They don't target their product towards high end gaming rigs. Apple tends to focus more on the "Where's the any key" crowd

I guess I'll add my 2 cents to this thread. I've been a PC user for over 20 years and thought the MAC hype was just that. After doing some online research I finally took the plunge three months ago and bought a Macbook Pro for personal use. I am sold. There is no way I would ever buy another PC. It's a pleasure to use this device. I predict that MACs will become the PC of choice in the business world in as little as 5 years because of their superior design, ease of use and reliability as compared to PC.

I think I agree. My feeling was that Microsoft's problem was that they have to support too many different kinds of hardware and too many legacy programs. Apple has gotten away with completely changing its operating system, switching architectures three times and fully controlling its hardware (outside of the clone experiment in the 90s).

I have used Macs since I was a kid (first computer was a Mac Plus). Once we get to the late 90s, I felt that OS 9 was extremely unstable and inferior to what Windows was at the time. OS X stopped me from switching.

i dont disagree with any of this. if you are saying that you could spend the same amount as a mac on a pc and make a reliable box, then id say of course you could.

No, I'm saying that if you spend a little more on a PC (but still less than a Mac), they'll be equally reliable.