Angelo Crowell

The actual story is that after he was placed on IR, Crowell mulled over his options. He ended up having surgery about one month after being placed on IR after seeking several other opinions. In addition, because he was now shelved for the whole season, he decided to have a more major surgery done rather than the cleanup that was originally intended.

That may be true, and he didnt get the surgery right away, you're right. But if he decided to get more major surgery, that to me says he wasn't going to be 100% following his lesser surgery, and Cro was a guy who needed his legs and his speed to run down ball carriers to be effective.

I do know, for a fact, that the Bills were seriously taken aback by Cro's decision, his timing, and were seriously pissed at him. So much in fact that not only were people close to the team thinking they had no intention of even talking with him during free agency, but also that even the reports that they were considering him a few weeks ago were just nonsense.

FWIW, I thought the Bills never should have put him on IR either at the time, and said so here repeatedly. It's hard to know the real story. But from people close to the Bills that I had some direct access to, the team was furious with Crowell and think he did it just for the future payday.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm completely there with ya, Big Cat.

No offense to anybody but I never really understood the whole, "Crowell is gone, we have another hole to fill" comments.

Its kind of like, "Crap, the Jets signed Jim Leonard, now we have to find another safety!"

He'll be easily replaced with the pick we get for Parrish.

For two years, Crowell dealt with a condition called chondromalacia (or runner’s knee), which is an irritation on the bottom surface of the knee cap. Inflammation of cartilage when the knee cap rubs against the side of the knee joint causes pain. With the help of strengthening exercises, Crowell started every game last season and posted a career high 140 tackles (93 solo). Instead of having offseason surgery, the Bills’ medical staff decided continued rehabilitation was a better option.

Either way you look at this, the Bills hardly screwed-over Crowell. The best he could have hoped for was having the minor procedure and playing half a season at his previous level, which was average to slightly above, with a lot of miscues thrown-in. He probably wouldn't have been paid any more than he was, and still would have need the major surgery. If anything, Crowell should thank the Bills that they paid him $1.75M to get the surgery he needed, to continue his NFL career.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/apr/09/sp...ct/sports-bucs/

Quite likely Crowell's account and the Bills account differ as far as the chronology of when the subject of surgery was first brought up.

Regardless, Crowell would have been out 3-4 weeks. As I stated before, the IR move by the Bills smacked of punishment, pettiness and spite. They've carried injured players on the roster for weeks before Crowell. But Brandon was pissed off by the timing of Crowell's decision regardless of how the Bills may have been complicit in that decision.

That tough guy Brandon sure showed us...that he has another roster hole to fill.

"Tough guy Brandon" showed us yet again, how stupid he & his inner circle jerks can be with football-related decisions. Crowell would have been ready to play right about the time the Bills started to tank their season. Anybody think he couldn't have helped out the defense during those frustrating losses?? Perhaps enough to finish 8-8, or even a more promising 9-7? Who knows? But after he was put on IR, he decided to have more extensive surgery, so as he said to the Tampa writer, things probably worked out better for him and his health.

Pretend for a second that you're not a Bills fan:

SOMEONE ELSE: Hey, looks like Tampa signed Buffalo's Angelo Crowell.

YOU: Who?

----SCENE-----

Seriously though, it's not a hole if the guy hasn't been on the field since 2007.

before last seasons injury, crowell was arguably our best defensive player.

It IS a hole. And its a hole because he refused to resign with us.