Report: Lynch suspended three games

Yeah there is no difference between a gun in the pants brought to a club and a gun in a bag in the trunk. :wub:

As stated before...you don't know where that gun was all that night or what its intent was...Im sure Plax's gun wasn't permanently housed in his waistband...such apologists around here...and heres a double :censored::wallbash: for parroting previous jaggoffs

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As stated before...you don't know where that gun was all that night or what its intent was...Im sure Plax's gun wasn't permanently housed in his waistband...

And neither do you dipsh!t. That's the point Dean was trying to make. You're being speculative as to the nature of the gun and drawing your own conclusions from it. It's not black and white and cut and dry. No one knows exactly why he had a trunk in the car and to assume you know makes you as big a "jaggoff" as those that defend him blindly.

What I said about high profile people feeling the need for protection and rightfully so, I thought was relevant when defending Marshawns possible reasons for having a gun handily available in his trunk.

All he had to do was get it properly licensed. He made the decision that law "didn't apply to him", and now he, and the team, and the league, have to suffer the consequences of that decision. The suspension is to try and teach him, and other players who are watching, that they have to comply with the gun laws that are on the books.

And neither do you dipsh!t. That's the point Dean was trying to make. You're being speculative as to the nature of the gun and drawing your own conclusions from it. It's not black and white and cut and dry. No one knows exactly why he had a trunk in the car and to assume you know makes you as big a "jaggoff" as those that defend him blindly.

Well I'm pretty sure it's to put stuff in. :wub: Most cars seem to have them.

I totally agree with all of that. Part of my point is something I have said before, but that is tough to articulate. I think that Goodell can't just come down on players based on assumptions. 90% of the posters here believe he can. Sure he has the power and the ability to. And publicly he says he will and I think he should. I don't at all think he has too much power, nor do I think he abuses that power at all.

But I simply don't think he can just "assume" things, because the unions and teams would come down so hard on him it wouldnt be worth it. So yes, I totally agree that he can and will and should send a message that what Lynch is doing is bad for the league and put it in an embarrassing position. He can't throw the book at him.

So what I don't believe is that he can do things without really knowing. He knew Pacman did a series of bad things. He knew Marshall shot the gun. He knew that Marshawn put himself in at least one really bad situation and probably two. But he has the legal authority but not the moral authority to assume the worst. That's why he can't get too hard on Lynch and I think he knows this.

Your argument makes no sense. You say he has the legal authority, the appropriate power, and a public mandate--but not the "moral authority" to regulate moral behavior in his League? Isn't that what they pay him to do?

The Commissioner doesn't have to "assume" that ML got caught in a car in the midst of illegal drugs with a concealed, loaded, unregistered weapon. These are undisputed facts. No one has claimed otherwise--not even ML or his lawyers.

Last year, ML hit a woman with his car and after this simple accident he refused to cooperate with ANY investigation into his behavior that night--as did his buddies. Why would an attorney risk the reputation of a client who is a public figure by saying "do NOT talk to the cops about this at all" if there is a simple, innocent explanation that will quickly restore his client's reputation? This begs an explanation. None was ever offered by anybody.

What is Goodell assuming here?

Guest dog14787
All he had to do was get it properly licensed. He made the decision that law "didn't apply to him", and now he, and the team, and the league, have to suffer the consequences of that decision. The suspension is to try and teach him, and other players who are watching, that they have to comply with the gun laws that are on the books.

My post is pulled a little out of context, but that's OK and I agree with you, the law, and the commissioner.

Marshawn Lynch, just on his poor attitude alone should be made to honor the three game suspension.

Exactly.

Thank you

"The nature of the gun"??

What does that mean?

And what are the many reasons you carry a loaded gun in the trunk? If you are carrying to defend yourself, you don't keep the gun in a locked trunk, do you? How does that go----when life and limb are in immediate danger, you say "hey brother, can you put down your gun while I go get mine in the trunk"?

And why are people still justifying ML's behavior by what happened to Taylor or those NBA guys who were tied up and robbed? Those punks were looking to rob some pro athletes, not kill them. If ML had an unregistered pistol, a shotgun, a machine gun in his house to defend his life, his people, his property----no one would care!

It really is amazing how people are bending themselves into pretzels to defend this guy's behavior. If you think he is actually retarded/insane/other reason that would make it impossible for him to understand the consequences of his actions--then say so already.

Your argument makes no sense. You say he has the legal authority, the appropriate power, and a public mandate--but not the "moral authority" to regulate moral behavior in his League? Isn't that what they pay him to do?

The Commissioner doesn't have to "assume" that ML got caught in a car in the midst of illegal drugs with a concealed, loaded, unregistered weapon. These are undisputed facts. No one has claimed otherwise--not even ML or his lawyers.

Last year, ML hit a woman with his car and after this simple accident he refused to cooperate with ANY investigation into his behavior that night--as did his buddies. Why would an attorney risk the reputation of a client who is a public figure by saying "do NOT talk to the cops about this at all" if there is a simple, innocent explanation that will quickly restore his client's reputation? This begs an explanation. None was ever offered by anybody.

What is Goodell assuming here?

You're missing the point, and again it may be my fault for not being able to explain the difference adequately. I didn't say he had a public mandate at all, I'm saying that fans think since he has ultimate power he "can" do whatever he wants. I'm saying, sure, he "can" do whatever he wants in theory, but if he oversteps his bounds it will backfire so much that he, in fact, "CAN'T" do whatever he wants. Like he can't suspend Lynch for a ton of games just because he thinks Lynch is a bad guy. He can do it to Pacman because we know he is a bad guy, but we don't know that about Lynch,

Put it this way: You CAN !@#$ your best friend or neighbor's wife, there is no law against it, she may like you, your best friend may not be home, but you just "can't" do it even though there is nothing stopping you. It won't be worth it.

In the hit and run case, Goodell didn't do anything for the same reason I stated above. He has the power, he has the ability to suspend him if he wanted to. But he just couldn't, because he had no facts and nothing to go on other than an assumption. That is why there was no punishment. Legally he could have. With the power of his office he could have. But he knew he "couldn't" because of the backlash from the union, so he didnt.

Guest dog14787
"The nature of the gun"??

What does that mean?

And what are the many reasons you carry a loaded gun in the trunk? If you are carrying to defend yourself, you don't keep the gun in a locked trunk, do you? How does that go----when life and limb are in immediate danger, you say "hey brother, can you put down your gun while I go get mine in the trunk"?

And why are people still justifying ML's behavior by what happened to Taylor or those NBA guys who were tied up and robbed? Those punks were looking to rob some pro athletes, not kill them. If ML had an unregistered pistol, a shotgun, a machine gun in his house to defend his life, his people, his property----no one would care!

It really is amazing how people are bending themselves into pretzels to defend this guy's behavior. If you think he is actually retarded/insane/other reason that would make it impossible for him to understand the consequences of his actions--then say so already.

What if you leave a loaded gun in your trunk so when you have a flat tire in a bad part of town you have some protection.

We can speculate all day long, Lynch broke the law and he's paying for it, paying dearly, I might add.

What if you leave a loaded gun in your trunk so when you have a flat tire in a bad part of town you have some protection.

We can speculate all day long, Lynch broke the law and he's paying for it, paying dearly, I might add.

Bingo! Who knows why a guy has a gun in the trunk. Maybe he goes to a friend's house and they shoot at targets. Maybe someone wants to see it...Etc, etc.

Hell, maybe he's a hitman and he's out on a job. Not likely of course, but who the hell knows. Assuming the worst isn't the way to operate, IMO.

If I had to guess why Lynch had an unlicensed and loaded gun in a bag in the trunk of his car, it would be for protection, and so that the bullet couldn't be traced back if he needed to use it, most likely on a real "thug" or "thugs." I do not believe he was intending to use it for premeditated criminal purposes.

Is that worse than a player getting behind the wheel after one too many drinks? Hardly. I've never heard of a gun in a trunk harming anyone. I guess it could have happened, but there are a thousand times more incidences of people getting injured or killed as the result of DUI. Yet the Commish hasn't taken a hardline stance on this issue. Why is that? Why didn't the Commish "sit down" with Marshall after his DUI? Hell, isn't domestic violence a literal "black eye" for the league? Why no "sit down" after that one? Is the Commish saying it's okay to knock-around your GF or spouse, as long as you attend anger management classes?

What I find funny is that the personal conduct policy is supposed to make the league look good. But by drawing undue attention to the bad apples, it does the opposite. It's kind of like how the religious right took exception to "The Last Temptation of Christ" and made everyone want to go see it, when it otherwise probably would have faded into obscurity after a week because it was so bad.

If I had to guess why Lynch had an unlicensed and loaded gun in a bag in the trunk of his car, it would be for protection, and so that the bullet couldn't be traced back if he needed to use it, most likely on a real "thug" or "thugs." I do not believe he was intending to use it for premeditated criminal purposes.

Is that worse than a player getting behind the wheel after one too many drinks? Hardly. I've never heard of a gun in a trunk harming anyone. I guess it could have happened, but there are a thousand times more incidences of people getting injured or killed as the result of DUI. Yet the Commish hasn't taken a hardline stance on this issue. Why is that? Why didn't the Commish "sit down" with Marshall after his DUI? Hell, isn't domestic violence a literal "black eye" for the league? Why no "sit down" after that one? Is the Commish saying it's okay to knock-around your GF or spouse, as long as you attend anger management classes?

What I find funny is that the personal conduct policy is supposed to make the league look good. But by drawing undue attention to the bad apples, it does the opposite. It's kind of like how the religious right took exception to "The Last Temptation of Christ" and made everyone want to go see it, when it otherwise probably would have faded into obscurity after a week because it was so bad.

Wanna rethink that statement? Protecting yourself against "thugs" is one thing. Planning on not telling authorities about shooting someone, is beyond stupid. Let's hope Marshawn was just being young and careless. Seriously, you are so all over the board in protecting Marshawns name. It's hard to watch you scratch and claw to keep your lame argument going. He is guilty of breaking the law and was involved with a questionable situation last year. Marshawn has admitted to expecting a suspension, lets hope he uses this as a life lesson. If he takes your excuse laden approach, nothing has been gained. Why can't you just accept the fact he messed up? It's not the end of the world and three games does not make a career, not learning a lesson could ruin one, though.

Wanna rethink that statement? Protecting yourself against "thugs" is one thing. Planning on not telling authorities about shooting someone, is beyond stupid. Let's hope Marshawn was just being young and careless.

I was purely speculating as to why he didn't register the gun. Maybe it was Lynch just being young and careless, I don't know. But again I don't believe he planned on using it for premeditated crimes, and that's an important distinction between him and a true "thug" with an illegal gun, which most likely would be unregistered, loaded, and concealed on his person.

Seriously, you are so all over the board in protecting Marshawns name. It's hard to watch you scratch and claw to keep your lame argument going. He is guilty of breaking the law and was involved with a questionable situation last year. Marshawn has admitted to expecting a suspension, lets hope he uses this as a life lesson. If he takes your excuse laden approach, nothing has been gained. Why can't you just accept the fact he messed up? It's not the end of the world and three games does not make a career, not learning a lesson could ruin one, though.

Most people would use being arrested, charged with a misdemeanor, and getting 3-years probation as reason to change, not getting suspended. Because one more false step and he's in jail, never mind missing games.

And yes, I've been defending him because I saw NO evidence that he was impaired or knew he hit the vic last year, and again I don't believe he was planning on using the gun with criminal intent, outside of potential self-defense with an illegal gun.

I was purely speculating as to why he didn't register the gun. Maybe it was Lynch just being young and careless, I don't know. But again I don't believe he planned on using it for premeditated crimes, and that's an important distinction between him and a true "thug" with an illegal gun, which most likely would be unregistered, loaded, and concealed on his person.

Most people would use being arrested, charged with a misdemeanor, and getting 3-years probation as reason to change, not getting suspended. Because one more false step and he's in jail, never mind missing games.

And yes, I've been defending him because I saw NO evidence that he was impaired or knew he hit the vic last year, and again I don't believe he was planning on using the gun with criminal intent, outside of potential self-defense with an illegal gun.

I understand that you want to give him the benefit of the doubt, from every angle possible, and that's fine. The problem is, he didn't learn to not break the law, from last years debacle, and no suspension. Regardless of how you want to picture Marshawns intentions, his firearm was illegal. This was enough of an infraction to merit three years probation and a three game suspension. So downplay it all you want, but the NFL and State of California, both seem to think illegal guns are pretty serious. It doesn't matter what his intentions were. I also think gamechecks can sometimes motivate more than probation and watered down community service.

I understand that you want to give him the benefit of the doubt, from every angle possible, and that's fine. The problem is, he didn't learn to not break the law, from last years debacle, and no suspension. Regardless of how you want to picture Marshawns intentions, his firearm was illegal. This was enough of an infraction to merit three years probation and a three game suspension. So downplay it all you want, but the NFL and State of California, both seem to think illegal guns are pretty serious. It doesn't matter what his intentions were. I also think gamechecks can sometimes motivate more than probation and watered down community service.

I never disputed that Lynch was caught with an illegal gun and deserved to be punished...by the law. But considering that he was given one misdemeanor, when he could have been charged with a felony, says that the DA didn't consider it as egregious a crime as the Commish does.

But that's Goodell for you. He's all over the guns, but his non-chalance towards domestic abuse and DUI are puzzling, if not disturbing. Why Marshall didn't have a "sit down" with Goodell after his arrest on domestic disturbance (after a total of 11 calls had been placed from his home over the course of a year), and again after his DUI (with a resulting suspension), is troubling to me. But hey, he was on-top of Lynch's traffic violation and illegal gun in the trunk, so it's all good! :worthy: Too bad in the interim, one of his players killed a man while DUI. And most of the players with whom he has a "sit down" still continue to embarrass the league.

So here we sit with Lynch getting the same suspension Marshall got. Will it also get reduced to 1 game, as it should, is what I want to know? And if not, why not? That will be far more telling about Goodell the man, as well as Commish. Lynch OTOH, is still a young, dumb, and pampered athlete.

Maybe you want to rethink that statement. Can you name anyone, other than yourself and your brethren here at TBD, who think that Goodell's suspension of Lynch has made the League look "bad"?

As for the analogy, what is your point again?

As for comparing to Marshall, have you considered the possibility that Goodell has realized that he let him off too easy and that the message that Marshall's suspension sent to nuckleheads like Lynch was "do what you want--there's a slap on the wrist waiting for you"?

Goodell wants to project the image as a tough guy, but obviously he hasn't been tough enough to keep morons like Lynch from F-ing their teams over. My guess is that he has decided to up the ante.

Have you considered this?

He is getting off easy. How many of you would still have a job if you got arrested 4 times? Your company would find a way to get rid of you. Every time I see a picture of Lynch, he is dressed like a punk, he talks like a punk and he sure acts like a punk. I would not hire him to collect trash for my company. Lynch is a public figure and the NFL is right is requiring them to be role models and following the laws of this country. The law let him off easy, if it was me or you we all be in jail. As a public figure you have a responsibility to be a role model. If you mess up then you should also be a role model and be subjected to harsher punishment, so now everyone knows that if you mess up, you pay and pay dearly.