American Idol

John Adams

Nonsense multimedia references can be seen at sig link)

I have no juice for this episode. Adam has removed the drama and tonight was the same.

Danny Gokey. Stand By Me. I paused the Tivo to make this note. This is a bad song choice. It's been sung too many times and unless he's really done some out-there arrangement, this can be no better than OK. Unpause. This is the worst by him in several weeks--totally mailed it in. Slow, dull smooth jazz. He closed strong but I note that he disregarded the judges good advice to move around. Moving around takes the focus off of his dorky looks.

Did you know Stephen King wrote the story that the movie Stand By Me is based on? God, I love that movie. And most of the reason is the scene that precedes this one, also in the junk yard (stupid Youtube doesn't have the great moment when they talk about the "A" and "E" starting to bend around the edges of Annette's sweater on the Mickey Mouse Club).

Kris Allen. He told a nice anecdote about how someone told him to say hi to Adam. That made me like Kris just a little more than I don't; even he knows it's over. All She Wants To Do Is Dance. Idol has a new locale that some people get to sing in: "The pit"...surrounded by teen girls. He's got a too-cool-for-school-jazz vibe that is unbearable. I despise the arrangement. I listened twice and guarantee that the guitar was not plugged in.

(That is unwatchable.)

Lil Rounds. What’s Love Got To Do With It. It's about the best she’s looked, which is not great. Her shoes are so high that she can’t move comfortably. Her vocals are OK but not great. I feel sorry for her now. At one point, she was a front-runner. Now she's solidly middle of the pack. Uh oh…when Paula pans you, it’s trouble. Judges hacked it up.

Anoop Desai. True Colors. Go Heels. It's a beautiful song, beautifully done. His lime-striped sweater is G. A. Y. Kara offers sage advice, "To win, you have to control the song, don’t let it control you." Every time she talks, I want to do that--->.

Scott McIntyre. Speaking of pounding heads into walls. The Search Is Over. Scott, Scott, Scott. If you're going to pick a Survivor song, there's only one to choose:

(If that song is on in my head, I start strutting like Travolta. Ah !@#$, that calls for another video aside. This is the best video aside ever. All this is way better than Scott's review.)

His kid photo is him dressed as a vampire. (The Staying Alive music is still playing as I write this. SO AWESOME!) I have to apologize for this in advance Scott. I hoped you would not last so long that I finally had to do this but here goes. Dude, the vampire costume was perfect because you, my blind friend, have some bad chiclets. Run home, get a file, and shave those things down. Your super-handsome brother is not looking out for you man. You're Danny DeVito to his Arnold. A dentist could get rich off you. Scott's guitar "playing" was awful. He went to the Kris Allen school of guitar where moving around the E form barre chord counts as guitar-playing. Only it doesn't, especially when it !@#$ing blows. His guitar-playing is better than his vocals, which made even my too-kind wife cringe. Good thing this show has Simon, who is the only judge not on eggshells, "It was horrible." No doubt one of the most painful Idol performances ever.

Allison Iraheta. I Can’t Make You Love Me. ("I'm going nowhere, somebody help me yeaaaahh....") Another Tivo pause. I'm a bit worried because she's already got a Bonnie Raitt-like voice and the perfect way to sing this song--for Allison--is just to copy it, which sometimes is dull. Unpause. She should have picked something more rocking but she still does a good copycat. Allison’s always got me. The judges once again spend the entire time criticizing her for something unrelated to her vocals. ("You need to let America get to know you." !@#$ off.) But the judges know she's good. Come on America. Keep her in it.

Matt Giraud. Part-time Lover. (Staying Alive music just ended. !@#$all.) He's back with the awful hat. Despite his New Kids look (I refuse to put that video up), his vocals won me over by the end of the song. Judges love it.

Adam Lambert. It's striking that his parents look so normal. I have no idea what this song is. (Mad World.) The first thing I notice is how he's lit differently every week. I have to guess that this is part of his mastery of the stage. Most others just come out and sing their song with little variation--he's in some funky blue glow, which goes along with the unpainted Blue Man sitting unmoving in the audience tonight. The show is completely rushed for time and he still pulls off a slow ballad masterstroke. The competition for second goes on. Adam wins the night again.

Top. Adam.

Top of the rest: Allison, Matt.

Bottom. Most of the field was OK. Except Scott. He !@#$ing blows.

I am off my game this week. You deserve better my 3 readers. Even Jordan had an off night every once in a while.

I missed Adam because the show ran long and my tivo didn't catch it!! :worthy:

Of the clips I saw on the internet today, he sounded awesome. I love that song too--from Donnie Darko!!

By the way, is it just me, but I can't stand Lil Rounds. She is BY FAR the worst black diva they've had on the show (perhaps because all of the other ones they've had have been unbelievably good).

JA-- I agree on Kara. I can't bear her "annoyingness". Paula is actually ten times better, if that's possible.

This is off topic but kind of related and I didn't want to start a new thread......

May 2nd is the semi finals for "Inland Idol" and my 13 year old daughter is competing in Corona California at the Corona Civic Center.

It is going to be a packed house which might actually play into her favor....she is used to performing in front of big crowds. I am not sure what her song will be but more then likely something by Maria Carey or Kelly Clarkson.

You can add me in to Idol responders to John Adams. Last night's episode was easily the worst of the season. I thought no one really stood out. It was a night of very average to poor performances.

I still think that Danny & Allison should be the final 2 contestants to faceoff for this year's Idol. Scott & Anoop have shown their limits, Lil has been a major disappointment, Kris is inconsistent, Matt has his moments but also his off nights, and what Adam lacks in talent he makes up for in being a showoff.

Danny has been the most consistent performer, although he was'nt special last night, for that matter neither was anyone else. For being a 17 year-old, Allison is an amazing talent. I agree with John Adams about the judges commenting on other things about her instead of her singing. Yet for some strange reason Allison has been in the bottom 3 for 2 of the last 3 weeks.

You can add me in to Idol responders to John Adams. Last night's episode was easily the worst of the season. I thought no one really stood out. It was a night of very average to poor performances.

I still think that Danny & Allison should be the final 2 contestants to faceoff for this year's Idol. Scott & Anoop have shown their limits, Lil has been a major disappointment, Kris is inconsistent, Matt has his moments but also his off nights, and what Adam lacks in talent he makes up for in being a showoff.

Danny has been the most consistent performer, although he was'nt special last night, for that matter neither was anyone else. For being a 17 year-old, Allison is an amazing talent. I agree with John Adams about the judges commenting on other things about her instead of her singing. Yet for some strange reason Allison has been in the bottom 3 for 2 of the last 3 weeks.

When Simon gives someone a standing O, you know they had a "special" night. Adam is quite talented.

Guest dog14787
When Simon gives someone a standing O, you know they had a "special" night. Adam is quite talented.

The song Mad World by Adam Lambert was the best song ever sung on American Idol. :worthy:

I've been an unabashed fan of this show pretty much since it came on the air however many years ago. I'm really just having a hard time getting into it this year. Last year I went from thinking, "why the hell did they let this guy through to the finals", to "holy crap, David Cook can bring it!".

Usually each year something happens that makes me want to hear a performance again, or even *gasp* buy an album. This year? Nothing. The only one who's come close is Matt Giraud. I think if that guy gets the proper direction, he could put together some pretty decent performances. Beyond that, I definitely think Allison's got some nice chops, but I have yet to see her do anything that's made me want to hear more. Lil Rounds is totally overrated and, as much as I hate to say it, somewhat "token-ish". I've enjoyed Scott whenever he's been on the show, except for the times when he sings. Gokey is someone I really expected to have a few "moments", as Simon calls them....but I'm still waiting. Anoop is boring. The skinny white kid that all the chicks are going gaa-gaa over is boring. So that leaves Adam. For me, Adam is like that singer or group that everyone loves, but you just can't get into them yourself. I recognize that the guy has talent, and I really enjoyed this week's performance (reminds me of that way cool "Gears of War" commercial a while back....), but I could still take him or leave him.

Oddly enough, I actually really liked Flo Rida's performance tonight....even though I still stand by the opinion that he has the dumbest name in all of rap.

Nonsense multimedia references can be seen at sig link)

I have no juice for this episode. Adam has removed the drama and tonight was the same.

Danny Gokey. Stand By Me. I paused the Tivo to make this note. This is a bad song choice. It's been sung too many times and unless he's really done some out-there arrangement, this can be no better than OK. Unpause. This is the worst by him in several weeks--totally mailed it in. Slow, dull smooth jazz. He closed strong but I note that he disregarded the judges good advice to move around. Moving around takes the focus off of his dorky looks.

Did you know Stephen King wrote the story that the movie Stand By Me is based on? God, I love that movie. And most of the reason is the scene that precedes this one, also in the junk yard (stupid Youtube doesn't have the great moment when they talk about the "A" and "E" starting to bend around the edges of Annette's sweater on the Mickey Mouse Club).

Kris Allen. He told a nice anecdote about how someone told him to say hi to Adam. That made me like Kris just a little more than I don't; even he knows it's over. All She Wants To Do Is Dance. Idol has a new locale that some people get to sing in: "The pit"...surrounded by teen girls. He's got a too-cool-for-school-jazz vibe that is unbearable. I despise the arrangement. I listened twice and guarantee that the guitar was not plugged in.

(That is unwatchable.)

Lil Rounds. What’s Love Got To Do With It. It's about the best she’s looked, which is not great. Her shoes are so high that she can’t move comfortably. Her vocals are OK but not great. I feel sorry for her now. At one point, she was a front-runner. Now she's solidly middle of the pack. Uh oh…when Paula pans you, it’s trouble. Judges hacked it up.

Anoop Desai. True Colors. Go Heels. It's a beautiful song, beautifully done. His lime-striped sweater is G. A. Y. Kara offers sage advice, "To win, you have to control the song, don’t let it control you." Every time she talks, I want to do that--->.

Scott McIntyre. Speaking of pounding heads into walls. The Search Is Over. Scott, Scott, Scott. If you're going to pick a Survivor song, there's only one to choose:

(If that song is on in my head, I start strutting like Travolta. Ah !@#$, that calls for another video aside. This is the best video aside ever. All this is way better than Scott's review.)

His kid photo is him dressed as a vampire. (The Staying Alive music is still playing as I write this. SO AWESOME!) I have to apologize for this in advance Scott. I hoped you would not last so long that I finally had to do this but here goes. Dude, the vampire costume was perfect because you, my blind friend, have some bad chiclets. Run home, get a file, and shave those things down. Your super-handsome brother is not looking out for you man. You're Danny DeVito to his Arnold. A dentist could get rich off you. Scott's guitar "playing" was awful. He went to the Kris Allen school of guitar where moving around the E form barre chord counts as guitar-playing. Only it doesn't, especially when it !@#$ing blows. His guitar-playing is better than his vocals, which made even my too-kind wife cringe. Good thing this show has Simon, who is the only judge not on eggshells, "It was horrible." No doubt one of the most painful Idol performances ever.

Allison Iraheta. I Can’t Make You Love Me. ("I'm going nowhere, somebody help me yeaaaahh....") Another Tivo pause. I'm a bit worried because she's already got a Bonnie Raitt-like voice and the perfect way to sing this song--for Allison--is just to copy it, which sometimes is dull. Unpause. She should have picked something more rocking but she still does a good copycat. Allison’s always got me. The judges once again spend the entire time criticizing her for something unrelated to her vocals. ("You need to let America get to know you." !@#$ off.) But the judges know she's good. Come on America. Keep her in it.

Matt Giraud. Part-time Lover. (Staying Alive music just ended. !@#$all.) He's back with the awful hat. Despite his New Kids look (I refuse to put that video up), his vocals won me over by the end of the song. Judges love it.

Adam Lambert. It's striking that his parents look so normal. I have no idea what this song is. (Mad World.) The first thing I notice is how he's lit differently every week. I have to guess that this is part of his mastery of the stage. Most others just come out and sing their song with little variation--he's in some funky blue glow, which goes along with the unpainted Blue Man sitting unmoving in the audience tonight. The show is completely rushed for time and he still pulls off a slow ballad masterstroke. The competition for second goes on. Adam wins the night again.

Top. Adam.

Top of the rest: Allison, Matt.

Bottom. Most of the field was OK. Except Scott. He !@#$ing blows.

I am off my game this week. You deserve better my 3 readers. Even Jordan had an off night every once in a while.

The Stephen King Book was a novella titled Different Seasons and the name of the actual story was The Body.

The judges keep telling Allison to talk more, let us see more of her personality. I think she doesn't need to talk at all, when she does it shows her personality (if you know what I mean). Just sing!

Thanks JA.

The problem with Adam is that he switches from a shrilling "hair-band" like voice to a real cool modern Thom York type from Radiohead.

In fact, he should try a radiohead song - he could be the only contestant able to pull it off and it will pull him out of the '80's.

The problem with Adam is that he switches from a shrilling "hair-band" like voice to a real cool modern Thom York type from Radiohead.

In fact, he should try a radiohead song - he could be the only contestant able to pull it off and it will pull him out of the '80's.

That's been my biggest criticism of the guy, actually....I get sick of that high-pitched shrilly vocal thing. It's just not something I find pleasing to listen to, although others seem to like it just fine.

Guest dog14787

You can take Adam Lambert into a recording studio and do almost anything with him and its going to be marketable.

The kids going to spin off hits like a modern day Elvis. :blink:

The kids going to spin off hits like a modern day Elvis. :wub:

It may be too obvious but I've been waiting for him to do Elvis for weeks. He might save that for the end. I can see him coming out completely Elvis-retro and singing Hound Dog.