So How Will This Hijacked US Ship Saga End?

If possible, I prefer to avoid jokes about printing more money and pirate bailouts, but I'm just curious how everyone sees this turning out. I expect the US has a plan in place given how often this happens to other countries, but it's not like we'll be putting Jack Bauer in a divers suit with a knife and Bic lighter.

What say ye?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, according to Hairplug boy....whats most important is that "everyone likes us again."

So it really doesnt matter.

If I were you, I'd get some commas in their appropriate places before Bad Leftenant comes here and really gives you a beatdown.

In all seriousness, according to the story, this is the SIXTH hijacking THIS WEEK. Surely someone has a plan in place, or do they just keep giving cash to the pirates and move along? I simply don't get this.

Probably. like most things, there is no real boots-on-the-ground response planned because, until now, there was no need for one. Kind of like when one leg of the Axis of Evil triad fires off an ICBM wanna-be missle, then reports that their resulting satelite is playing music in space, and we turn to the UN.

I pray we don't go to the UN with this piracy deal!

What I am sure of is that there will be hearings, investigations, white papers and much gnashing of elected teeth while the situation festers.

What I am sure of is that there will be hearings, investigations, white papers and much gnashing of elected teeth while the situation festers.

That's a safe bet.

I'm pretty sure I know what the previous administration would have done: make strong statements, send in the military, retake the ship, put any surviving pirates in Gitmo. I don't know what this administration would do...I don't think they would, but I would not be entirely surprised if they paid a demanded ransom to resolve the issue "peacefully".

Two words:

Navy Seals

They train for this kinda stuff. The only real question: will Obama have the sack to take the leash off of our junkyard dogs? On the other hand, will he pull a Carter-type fouled-up, poorly planned rescue? These are the days that Clinton, and now Obama, gets to thank Regan and both Bushes for us having well-trained SF operators.

It will be interesting to see how he handles "his" first "war". I am optimistic that he will do the right thing. He's not an idiot, and we aren't talking about going up against the Spetznaz here. Not to say that the bullets don't kill just as dead, but they do have to be aimed. The good news is this is a relatively small deal. I would be more worried if this was larger. Hopefully he cuts his teeth on this and doesn't screw up. No doubt that this is the real thing though...

And, RUFKMe? Pirates? Don't they know what is going to happen to them?

Usually nothing. Piracy isn't uncommon these days, and most of them get away with it.

Yeah, if you're from Europe. These pirates could have been taking Europeans(-Brits) for the next 10 years for ransom and turning a nice little business before they actually did anything about it.

Now that they decided to hit us they are screwed. We can't just get our people, now we have to get after all of the pirates, every day, all the time. Obama can't let this stand or he literally becomes the weak-kneed Democrat stereotype. Do you honestly think people like Hannity are going to let him off the hook on this?

For these idiot pirates: This = bombing London instead of continuing to attack the RAF(thought you'd like that one :thumbsup: ) I don't expect them to figure out all the politics, but I do expect them know the difference between us/Brits and Europe. Didn't they see the flag?

That's a safe bet.

I'm pretty sure I know what the previous administration would have done: make strong statements, send in the military, retake the ship, put any surviving pirates in Gitmo. I don't know what this administration would do...I don't think they would, but I would not be entirely surprised if they paid a demanded ransom to resolve the issue "peacefully".

Bolded the part I disagree with.

The previous administration would have talked about doing that publicly. Privately they would have negotiated with the pirates and Maersk on a ransom. After the ransom was paid by Maersk (remember, the gov't doesn't negotiate with terrorists :thumbsup:), no need to send in the Seals.

I suspect the current administration is likely to follow the same path

enough of the drama? please..

the dramatics was posting we would know what the former would do.

According to FOX News .. It's over. The Americans have regained control of the ship.

American Crew Regains Control of Hijacked Ship, FOX News Confirms

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,513238,00.html

Page Cannot Be Found -- oops Fox News...

According to FOX News .. It's over. The Americans have regained control of the ship.

That's just a headline. FoxSnooze occasionally floats false headlines as "trial balloons" of sorts, on the off-chance that just maybe one of them will be true, and they scoop everyone.

If it's still up in half-an-hour, then maybe it'll be true.

That's just a headline. FoxSnooze occasionally floats false headlines as "trial balloons" of sorts, on the off-chance that just maybe one of them will be true, and they scoop everyone.

If it's still up in half-an-hour, then maybe it'll be true.

CNN is reporting it too, and we both know they are always accurate. :thumbsup: