Ok let's roll, I want to talk some football.

First off let's talk about the Bills. I believe that they sure did telegraph what they are going to do in the draft. Not only did they cut our starting LG but they also got rid of our primary TE. Luckily these are 2 positions that aren't early 1st rd selections in this year's draft. One could argue that a starting G could be worth an early rd pick but this is a draft tha is heavy in OL and a quality G could be taken in the 2nd rd. As BeastMode54 pointed out in an earlier post the versatility of Hangartner gives us the insulation of being able to address our need on the OL without fear. here's some of the ideas and topics that I would like to comment on.

First, the Bills will trade Roscoe Parrish on draft day to the Seattle Seahawks. The 'Hawks lost their slot receiver Bobby Ingram during free agency to the Chiefs, Nate Burleson had a torn ACL and is practicing with a brace on his surgically repaired knee at the 'Hawks minicamps and Deion Branch had his knee scoped at the end of last year. That guy can't stay healthy and the receiving corp last year was thin AND exposed. Hasselbeck wasn't available himself and if Matt Stafford is still available when they pick then expect Seattle to take him at the #4 pick. I just recently thought that they would draft CB Malcolm Jenkins but it looks more and more like the Seahawks are going to bring back CB Ken Lucas.

Jason Peters will not be traded. In light of Dockery being released, signing TO and Lynch with a possible suspension, the Bills need everybody that they got on the OL.

If the Bills trade down (Detroit's #20?) then I would like to see them draft DT Peria Jerry. If not then LB Brian Cushing would be a good safe pick. I'm also not disounting, nor would I be disappointed, if the Bills opted for DE Aaron Maybin as an alternate for Cushing at the #11 pick. I'm not hedging, I'm just stating what would make sense.

Look for the Carolina Panthers to sign JP Losman after the draft. They don't put a lot of emphasis on high profile QBs and Losman could be the kind of player that they feel that they could further develope during Jake Delhomme's twilight.

I expect Donte Whitner to have a HUGE year, escially in the turnover dept. The top 5 out of 7 players with interceptions last year were safeties and 4 of the 5 were free safeties. The new position change is going to compliment Whitner greatly.

The Patriots have 11 total picks and has nowhere near that many roster spots available. New England may very well be the biggest X-factor in the draft from a wheeling-and-dealing standpoint. It wouldn't surprise me to see them trade up with some of those picks for just a couple of quality defenders.

The Bengals just signed DT Tank Johnson. He'll benefit from playing in a 4-3 much more than Dalls' 3-4. I mention this because this should make B.J Raji slide a bit more in the draft. OT Andre Smith is probably the right fit for Cincinnati. Green Bay might be tempted to take him at the #9 spot but they'll chose Tyson Jackson when it comes time. If he is still available when Denver is on the clock then the Broncos will jump all over him.

Do you realize that if the Bills stand pat and don't accumalate any more extra picks than by the time they make their fourth selection the Patriots will already have made 6 selections?

The Rams are rumored to be willing to trade out of the #2 overall pick and the 49'ers are posturing by scheduling visits with QBs Mark Sanchez and Josh Freeman.

Did you know that teams wait until the draft is over and the regular season nears before they make a run on RFAs? The reason being is to wait and see who spent their money on draft picks, current players that were restructured and FA signings. Having just 7 days to match the offers puts a lot of stress on the teams and the chances of them passing becomes greater.

Now, let's talk.

As BeastMode54 pointed out in an earlier post the versatility of Hangartner gives us the insulation of being able to address our need on the OL without fear.

No. I will not let you pretend that some backup has versatility enough to make me not be fearful of any OL additions

First, the Bills will trade Roscoe Parrish on draft day to the Seattle Seahawks.

I don't understand. All you did was say that the Seahawks need a WR. We're not giving up Parrish because I truly believe that Bobby April has some voice in that FO, as proven by him keeping Sam Aiken on the team for 30+ seasons.

Jason Peters will not be traded.

About 999 other posters and the mainstream media would strongly disagree with you.

If the Bills trade down (Detroit's #20?) then I would like to see them draft DT Peria Jerry. If not then LB Brian Cushing would be a good safe pick. I'm also not disounting, nor would I be disappointed, if the Bills opted for DE Aaron Maybin as an alternate for Cushing at the #11 pick. I'm not hedging, I'm just stating what would make sense.

Yes, we'll likely trade down (or use or multiple 1st round picks after our Peters trade to address these players).

Look for the Carolina Panthers to sign JP Losman after the draft. They don't put a lot of emphasis on high profile QBs and Losman could be the kind of player that they feel that they could further develope during Jake Delhomme's twilight.

Didn't they sign former 1st overall QB David Carr after his time in Houston? I think you need to define "high profile" for me, because that sounds like the most high profile backup you could get.

I expect Donte Whitner to have a HUGE year, escially in the turnover dept. The top 5 out of 7 players with interceptions last year were safeties and 4 of the 5 were free safeties. The new position change is going to compliment Whitner greatly.

Yay. You think your favorite player will have a good year. Me too, I'm pretty sure Tim Connolly will eclipse 1.2/ppg (albeit that might total another 45 point season with only 30 games played).

Jason Peters will not be traded. In light of Dockery being released, signing TO and Lynch with a possible suspension, the Bills need everybody that they got on the OL.

-- The Bills definitely need every body they have on the O-Line, but I don't see them making Peters the highest paid Tackle in the league. Sold to the highest bidder.

-- Right now, it looks like those 2 will be around when the Bills pick. I would be O.K. with selecting Cushing.

-- :rolleyes: I just threw up a little. I live in Charlotte, and the last thing in the world I want is to have a good view of Losman's next stop. :blink:

Do you realize that if the Bills stand pat and don't accumalate any more extra picks than by the time they make their fourth selection the Patriots will already have made 6 selections?

-- That's encouraging.

Good post, but I slight disagree on a couple things. I do think Peters will be gone, too many bridges have been burned by both sides in this stalemate, and he is asking way too much.

It may happen, but I think it would be a big mistake to trade Parrish. He is the most exciting Punt Returner in the AFC if not the entire NFL, and with McKelvin most likely starting on defense now, not sure you want him returning all kicks. McGee is not as young as he used to be, so probably not a good idea to have him returning kicks anymore full time while playing CB.

As far as Losman, now that he has been a FA for what 2-3 months now, and nobody outside of TBD has mentioned his name, he might realize that he is not going to be given another shot at starting right away, will sign with a team that probably has a starter entrenched, like Delhomme in Carolina, or maybe even New Orleans or San Diego.

I do think the Bills would like to trade down, but so would 90% of the teams ahead of them, so not sure the opportunity will arise for them to drop for additional picks.

It may happen, but I think it would be a big mistake to trade Parrish. He is the most exciting Punt Returner in the AFC if not the entire NFL, and with McKelvin most likely starting on defense now, not sure you want him returning all kicks. McGee is not as young as he used to be, so probably not a good idea to have him returning kicks anymore full time while playing CB.

No doubt that Parrish is an exciting punt returner but he is expensive commodity, we have plenty of WRs and our STs are a strength. I think that we stand a good shot of using some of our late rd pick(s) on depth/ST type players. It could even be a UDFA with speed that comes from a smaller school that could fill that duty. Some people assume that McKelvin would handle all of our returns but I'm not one of them but I do believe that the Bills will keep him involved to a certain degree.

Did you know that teams wait until the draft is over and the regular season nears before they make a run on RFAs? The reason being is to wait and see who spent their money on draft picks, current players that were restructured and FA signings. Having just 7 days to match the offers puts a lot of stress on the teams and the chances of them passing becomes greater.

Tipsy, a lot of good stuff to respond to, but I don't have the time now.

There is a date about a week before the draft by which RFAs have to sign offer sheets with other teams or they become ERFAs. What you're talking about isn't possible.

Tipsy, a lot of good stuff to respond to, but I don't have the time now.

There is a date about a week before the draft by which RFAs have to sign offer sheets with other teams or they become ERFAs. What you're talking about isn't possible.

Oops, how right you are. I screwed that one up. I was listening to it on Sirius radio and totally messed that up. The principle of applying pressure to the current team is accurate but the I totally hammered the timeline aspect of it. Sorry. Here's a link that clearly explains it. Come back when you have time, I would love to talk about a couple of this topics.

http://football.calsci.com/FreeAgency.html

Guest dog14787
No doubt that Parrish is an exciting punt returner but he is expensive commodity, we have plenty of WRs and our STs are a strength. I think that we stand a good shot of using some of our late rd pick(s) on depth/ST type players. It could even be a UDFA with speed that comes from a smaller school that could fill that duty. Some people assume that McKelvin would handle all of our returns but I'm not one of them but I do believe that the Bills will keep him involved to a certain degree.

Folks that assume as much need to consider what losing Mckelvin or Mcgee does to the defense or how hard it is for them to just come off the field from playing defense and then return a kick or punt, it wears on you.

Losing Greer in my opinion helped solidify Roscoe Parish on the Buffalo Bills Roster. We can ill afford to lose Mckelvin or Mcgee to injury and besides, Bobby April would go into orbit if you trade Parish because you just took his best player away.

Here's an interesting article on OTs and pass rushing DEs. Out of the top 100 players on the all-time sack list less than 50% were first-round picks and, more surprising than that, less than 25% were top ten draft picks. According to Bill Polian LTs are much more coveted than pass rushers. I read some posts a few days ago where some were paraphasing Polian as saying that outside of QB, the DE position is the most important position. While that may be true, it looks like Polian is willing to make concessions when it comes to drafting them.

http://www.heraldonline.com/247/story/1248046.html

Geez Murra, you can disagree without the venom.

Lots of good stuff.

A lot of people assume the Patriots will trade up because they have so much ammo to do so and don't have a lot of roster spots to fill. One other option for New England is to trade some of this year's picks for picks in next year's draft. Just a thought I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Geez Murra, you can disagree without the venom.

Eh, it's all from the heart. Plus, I think Tipster can take it, seeing as he's one of the only posters who understands how to start a legitimate discussion topic/thread.

Two quick hits. 1) I don't know why EVERYBODY is trying to trade Parrish. He's not expensive at all, and we have the cap room. I still like him as the #3 or #4 WR with his speed and quickness, especially on pure passing downs, but he is the best PR in the league. McGee and McKelvin can split time on KR and Parrish can handle the PR (with McKelvin to spell him when necessary). Having depth at that position is so incredibly important and it drives me nuts when people try to trade that away for a worthless second day draft pick. 2) New England will not have drafted six times by the time we draft four. It looks more and more likely that Peters will be traded for draft picks and there's always the reasonable possibility of us trading out of the #11 pick. New England is also likely to trade up as they don't have a need for all the picks they have and can't possibly sign all those guys.

First off let's talk about the Bills. I believe that they sure did telegraph what they are going to do in the draft. Not only did they cut our starting LG but they also got rid of our primary TE. Luckily these are 2 positions that aren't early 1st rd selections in this year's draft. One could argue that a starting G could be worth an early rd pick but this is a draft tha is heavy in OL and a quality G could be taken in the 2nd rd. As BeastMode54 pointed out in an earlier post the versatility of Hangartner gives us the insulation of being able to address our need on the OL without fear. here's some of the ideas and topics that I would like to comment on.

First, the Bills will trade Roscoe Parrish on draft day to the Seattle Seahawks. The 'Hawks lost their slot receiver Bobby Ingram during free agency to the Chiefs, Nate Burleson had a torn ACL and is practicing with a brace on his surgically repaired knee at the 'Hawks minicamps and Deion Branch had his knee scoped at the end of last year. That guy can't stay healthy and the receiving corp last year was thin AND exposed. Hasselbeck wasn't available himself and if Matt Stafford is still available when they pick then expect Seattle to take him at the #4 pick. I just recently thought that they would draft CB Malcolm Jenkins but it looks more and more like the Seahawks are going to bring back CB Ken Lucas.

The Patriots have 11 total picks and has nowhere near that many roster spots available. New England may very well be the biggest X-factor in the draft from a wheeling-and-dealing standpoint. It wouldn't surprise me to see them trade up with some of those picks for just a couple of quality defenders.

The Bengals just signed DT Tank Johnson. He'll benefit from playing in a 4-3 much more than Dalls' 3-4. I mention this because this should make B.J Raji slide a bit more in the draft. OT Andre Smith is probably the right fit for Cincinnati. Green Bay might be tempted to take him at the #9 spot but they'll chose Tyson Jackson when it comes time. If he is still available when Denver is on the clock then the Broncos will jump all over him.

The Rams are rumored to be willing to trade out of the #2 overall pick and the 49'ers are posturing by scheduling visits with QBs Mark Sanchez and Josh Freeman.

Now, let's talk.

I think we wil try to trade Parrish. Seattle won't be interested after drafting Crabtree. We will not draft a DE in the top 3 rounds. Jason Peters will definitely be traded. The names you will most likely here on draft day for the bills are Oher, Pettigrew, Pereia, Matthews,Cushing, Mack, Unger, Raji. We will try to trade down, but it may not be possible.

Now, let's talk.

Lots of good stuff to talk about.

1) Jason Peters, my view is that he won't get traded either. I may be wrong, and maybe I'm hoping, but I believe he won't.

2) Parrish, I do believe he will get traded. Regardless of what other posters think, he is expendable, McKelvin, McGee and Jackson can take care of the PR and KR at an above average level. Also parrishes values as a WR has been disappointing to say the least.

3) JP Losman, I think it is anybody's guess where he will end up. On the MegaCheap!!

4) Donte Whitner, well, if we don't apply pressure on the QB, I wouldn't expect too much more than what we've seen, which is solid play with very little playmaking. If we apply pressure, then I believe he will take it to the next level.

5) Regarding drafting guards, I think we will draft a gaurd or center in either the 2nd or 3rd round.

6) Trading down I would give a 50/50 possibility. If we do trade down, then I think we draft Pettigrew. If we don't draft down and we resign Peters, then I think we pick Everett Brown if he is available and if he isn't, then I think they surprise us and pick Matthews. Who may be the best pro prospect blitzing LB coming out of college. Not to mention his familiarity with dropping back in coverage as the USC defense demands out of their LB's, more so than other college defenses.

7) If Jason Peters gets traded, I fully expect us to draft the highest rated LT prospect with our #11 pick, and then Pick Pettigrew with the next pick, then a Gaurd or Center with the next pick, unless they feel Connor Barwin can do the job.

That's how I see it.

The problem with trading Parrish is that he's actually a solid contributor who adds value, and the best they'll get for him is a 3rd rounder who probably won't contribute much. What's the point of trading him? To me it just seems like a lot gears churning to no end at all. Keep your contributors!

The last time the Bills went down this road is when they balked at paying Kevin Williams $1 million and instead settled for Chris Watson as their punt returner in 2000. That was of course a total disaster, and probably cost the Bills a game or two.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillKe00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WatsCh20.htm

I mean, you have to really try to average 4.9 yards per punt return!

The problem with trading Parrish is that he's actually a solid contributor who adds value, and the best they'll get for him is a 3rd rounder who probably won't contribute much. What's the point of trading him? To me it just seems like a lot gears churning to no end at all. Keep your contributors!

The last time the Bills went down this road is when they balked at paying Kevin Williams $1 million and instead settled for Chris Watson as their punt returner in 2000. That was of course a total disaster, and probably cost the Bills a game or two.

That's a fair point in most cases.

let me ask you this:

Do you think Mcgee can still be a good KR?

Considering that McKelvin coming out of college, was known for his Punt returning ability more so than his KR ability, do you think he could do the job as a PR?

Do you think that Freddy Jackson could be a good option as well as a PR, considering he averaged more than 15 yards a return?

That's a fair point in most cases.

let me ask you this:

Do you think Mcgee can still be a good KR?

Considering that McKelvin coming out of college, was known for his Punt returning ability more so than his KR ability, do you think he could do the job as a PR?

Do you think that Freddy Jackson could be a good option as well as a PR, considering he averaged more than 15 yards a return?

I think Freddy Jackson was the beneficiary of a small sample of cases and good blocking. He may be better than Chris Watson, but I'm not sure by how much. He's simply not that fast/elusive, although he is a clever runner. For all of these guys, injuries are a real issue, and losing a starting CB on returns is brutal to even contemplate. I think the point to remember is that if Chris Ellis, John DiGiorgio, and Jason Jefferson can fill a spot on the roster, why not a guy who actually makes plays consistently? Moreover, we're now strong at the position for very little cost. Why complicate our situation just to get another draft pick that probably won't even pan out?

When people talk about trading Parrish it really just blows my mind. I mean yeah, we have McKelvin and McGee too but as other people have stated, there is too much to risk by having them do everything. We can't have two key parts of our defense this year getting popped like that a few times a game. Parrish's return on opening day last year was probably one of the best punt returns in history and most people are trying to get rid of him. He is way too valuable to lose and I can't imagine how April would react to that. Bottom line is, we keep Parrish. Period.

I think Freddy Jackson was the beneficiary of a small sample of cases and good blocking. He may be better than Chris Watson, but I'm not sure by how much. He's simply not that fast/elusive, although he is a clever runner. For all of these guys, injuries are a real issue, and losing a starting CB on returns is brutal to even contemplate. I think the point to remember is that if Chris Ellis, John DiGiorgio, and Jason Jefferson can fill a spot on the roster, why not a guy who actually makes plays consistently? Moreover, we're now strong at the position for very little cost. Why complicate our situation just to get another draft pick that probably won't even pan out?

Ok

but you really aren't giving too much credence for the value of a 3rd round pick. Sure a 3rd round pick may not work, but that same argument can be made for the 1st overall pick couldn't it? I for one, believe there is value in a 3rd round pick, and if I was part of the decision making process, I would like to think that we can get some good value. If we didn't have options at the PR position, that would be another thing, but I believe we do. One more thing to consider, It's not just the pick but you are also talking about freeing up $2 Million as well. I like roscoe, and he does give us some excitement, and either way, I will still be happy to have him, very happy, but as far as the business end of things, I think we would have greater value saving the $2Million coupled with a 3rd round pick considering we do have good options to fill his position.