Mike Mayock's Mock Draft Picks 1-10

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see Orkapo available either.

If Everette Brown is available i hope they dont trip while trying to run the card up to the podium.

We'll send Ralph to do it, then we know it'll make it there.

In that scenario it comes down to Bryan Orakpo or Everette Brown. The census pick is Orakpo but I'd prefer Brown as he has produced on the field and seems to have an explosion and skill set that you just can't teach. Orakpo seems to be a pre-madonna type player who overvalues himself. If both are available and they pick Brown over Orakpo then they better be right! NO ONE however can blame them for choosing any one of these two, REGARDLESS of how Crabtree or others might pan out in the future. If the later it is true it could lead to an ESPN Top Five reasons you can't blame the Bills for picking a DE over Crabtree in the 2009 NFL Draft!

This isn't even a debate. Orakpo's a monster. Besides that workout warrior Sidbury, he's the fastest DE out there and he's 6'4" 260 lbs. He's a pure 4-3 DE, outweighing Brown by almost 15 lbs. Both players produced, both went invisible some games. I'll be happy with Brown at #11 if Orakpo's already gone (which he will be); otherwise they should run to the podium with Orakpo's name on their card.

I could be wrong, but are Brown and Orakpo more the pass-rushing RDE type? Or do you see one of them taking over Ellison's spot. Robert Ayers seems more like the LDE this team needs to replace Denney and Kelday. The way Ayers is rising he's reminding me more and more of Whitner.

He's too special. There's also the 2nd round. Many years I am as excited about the 2nd round as I am the first.

I hear ya, but I think this team needs an immediate (contributory, on one of the lines, if possible) from this draft. If I didn't care about need, I'd take Malcolm Jenkins, who I think is the real deal.

I know we have Evans and TO, but can this team really pass on Crabtree if he's there? I think Crabtree is an Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson. Oraknpo or Brown may be good but I don't think the ceiling is as high with these players as it is with Crabtree.

Crabtree is Mike Williams. The other Mike Williams.

I could be wrong, but are Brown and Orakpo more the pass-rushing RDE type? Or do you see one of them taking over Ellison's spot. Robert Ayers seems more like the LDE this team needs to replace Denney and Kelday. The way Ayers is rising he's reminding me more and more of Whitner.

Wait...what???

Ellison is an OLB, Brown/Orakpo are DE's. Ayers is a DE. Whitner is a S. Kelsay is a bum and Denney is a Mormon. What are you talking about??

Wait...what???

Ellison is an OLB, Brown/Orakpo are DE's. Ayers is a DE. Whitner is a S. Kelsay is a bum and Denney is a Mormon. What are you talking about??

What I'm saying is Brown and Orakpo are not big enough to play the left side, which is where the need is. Ayers is bigger than Brown and Orakpo and could play left defensive end.

I dont see Orkapo available either.

If Everette Brown is available i hope they dont trip while trying to run the card up to the podium.

Actually, from the seating chart I saw online a few weeks ago, the Bills have the closest seat to the official table.

Surely they couldn't screw that up...

Everett Brown will be a better end than Orapko. That's how I see it.

I think Orapko will be a decent End in this league, not a big sack guy. Remember, most of his sacks were from manhandling his opponents, and he won't be able to do that with as much ease in the NFL. Where as Brown, has explosiveness off the edge and more polished passrushing moves than any other player coming out of this year's draft.

So, I hope, if he is available, that the Bills draft Brown.

...he's an athletic freak of nature...

Now there's a phrase that screams "WARNING...WARNING...BUST ALERT!!!!"

Not saying he's going to be one, but that phrase does give me the serious heebeegeebees. What "athletic freak of nature" has ever been able to transfer that to the game of football? I can't think of one. In fact, the "athletic freaks" that come to my mind are Tony Mandarich, Brian Bosworth, Mike Mamula, Vernon Davis, Vernon Gholston. The first highlights I saw of Orakpo was a youtube clip of him lifting in the gym. I'm taking Crabtree in a heartbeat in that scenario.

What I'm saying is Brown and Orakpo are not big enough to play the left side, which is where the need is. Ayers is bigger than Brown and Orakpo and could play left defensive end.

I don't buy that argument. Your defensive ends should be interchangeable. If Orakpo is wearing a Buffalo Bills jersey April 25th I'll streak around my house...before I have to send the deed to figoferreira.

Now there's a phrase that screams "WARNING...WARNING...BUST ALERT!!!!"

Not saying he's going to be one, but that phrase does give me the serious heebeegeebees. What "athletic freak of nature" has ever been able to transfer that to the game of football?

Jevon Kearse, AKA "The Freak" (for his freakish athletic ability) did pretty well. Jason Peters is also an athletic freak.

This is true but while Ayers did move around a bit on passing downs, he played the large majority of snaps at RDE.

To complicate the discussion even further Tyson Jackson spent his college career playing mostly LDE. I believe that's why his sack numbers are not as high as some others...he didn't have the benefit of attacking the QB from the blind side.

Jackson is a bit slower than Reggie White although as big and strong and violent. He might not get us 10 sacks per year over his rookie contract but he would add a lot of pressure, consistently defeat the man assigned to block him, and play many snaps in the opponents backfield.

People who like what they believe Rey Maualuga would bring to a defense would love Tyson Jackson. Bone crusher.

This past Friday Mike Mayock announced his mock draft for picks 1-10. Here is how he sees it.

1. Detroit. Matt Stafford QB Georgia

2. St. Louis. Jason Smith OT Baylor

3. Kansas City. Eugene Monroe OT Virginia

4. Seattle. Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest

5. Cleveland. B.J. Raji DT Boston College

6. Cincinnati. Andre Smith OT Alabama

7. Oakland. Darius Heyward-Bey WR Maryland

8. Jacksonville. Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri

9. Green Bay. Michael Oher OT Mississippi

10. San Francisco. Mark Sanchez QB USC

We all know how scary accurate Mayock is with draft predictions. If these picks came true then the Bills would be on the clock with these players to choose from: Bryan Orakpo, Michael Crabtree, Everette Brown, Aaron Maybin, Brian Cushing, Rey Maualuga, Clay Matthews & Brandon Pettigrew.

If the draft did turn out this way, then who should the Bills take?

Bryan Orakpo!!!

Everett Brown will be a better end than Orapko. That's how I see it.

I think Orapko will be a decent End in this league, not a big sack guy. Remember, most of his sacks were from manhandling his opponents, and he won't be able to do that with as much ease in the NFL. Where as Brown, has explosiveness off the edge and more polished passrushing moves than any other player coming out of this year's draft.

So, I hope, if he is available, that the Bills draft Brown.

What little I've seen of Orakpo, he's a diamond in the rough. He has great speed, quickness, and strength. He's also very unpolished and has developed very few pass rush moves. This is probably coachable.

Everette Brown on the other hand is the most polished pass rusher available in this draft. He has all the moves and performs them fluently. He's not as explosive and strong as Orkapo however.

Jevon Kearse, AKA "The Freak" (for his freakish athletic ability) did pretty well. Jason Peters is also an athletic freak.

Peters went undrafted. We're talking the #11 (don't you dare screw it up) pick here.

I will give you Javon Kearse though. He was a serious "freak" for a few good years.

Crabtree is Mike Williams. The other Mike Williams.

Um you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, Crabtree is beast. Mike Williams was lazy as hell, couldn't run routes, wasn't strong after the catch, and ate himself to a reported 270lbs at one point. Just because Crabtree lacks ideal speed doesn't mean he's Mike Williams.....I'd say Anquan Boldin is a better comparison.

Peters went undrafted. We're talking the #11 (don't you dare screw it up) pick here.

I will give you Javon Kearse though. He was a serious "freak" for a few good years.

I didn't see anything related to draft position in the original question. "What "athletic freak of nature" has ever been able to transfer that to the game of football?"

The answer really is, plenty of athletic freaks were able to transfer that to the game of football. I simply named two. One might argue that the NFL is a league fill of athletic freaks.