GPS Question For The Golf Nuts

dpbillsfan

Anyone use one or played a round with someone that has one? I'm thinking of getting the GolfLogix hand held GPS by Garmin.

By the way, played this afternoon and had a 75 ft putt for eagle on a par 5 and ended up 4 putting for a bogey........ :beer::worthy::worthy:

Anyone use one or played a round with someone that has one? I'm thinking of getting the GolfLogix hand held GPS by Garmin.

By the way, played this afternoon and had a 75 ft putt for eagle on a par 5 and ended up 4 putting for a bogey........ :beer::worthy::worthy:

I've never liked the concept of using a GPS. Part of the game is visually sizing up the distance to the green and the general layout of a hole. It's just part of the skill, and benefits experienced players. Sure, you have the 100,150, and 200 yard markers as benchmarks, but those can only tell you so much. Call me a stodgy purist if you must, but something about using a GPS seems...impure.

And as for the 4 putt...well, we've all been there before. :worthy:

I've played with the ones mounted in the cart...very nice feature.

How much are the hand held ones? How do you know if your normal courses are on there?

About $200 bucks. Golflogix has just about every course in the US and I want to say about 22,000 courses world wide.

I've never liked the concept of using a GPS. Part of the game is visually sizing up the distance to the green and the general layout of a hole. It's just part of the skill, and benefits experienced players. Sure, you have the 100,150, and 200 yard markers as benchmarks, but those can only tell you so much. Call me a stodgy purist if you must, but something about using a GPS seems...impure.

And as for the 4 putt...well, we've all been there before. :worthy:

What is the diff having the services of a caddy?? Sure as hell if these things (GPS) were around the time St. Andrews was built, the kings and queens would have surely used them to their advantage! :worthy::worthy:

Anyway, it is just more in-depth than what golf has ALWAYS been offering (maps, distances, etc... etc...)... So what is the big hairy deal?

Now the thing I want to know, can it track your ball? You know, put a locator on it and then follow it after you slice it wickedly out of bounds... :beer::worthy:

Oh yes. A friend and I once did it in a 2 man scramble. It just wasn't our day. :thumbsup:

A 4 putt in a scramble is rather impressive.

As for GPS, i've used the ones in the cart at the courses around here, but never the handheld ones.

Got a SkyCaddie for a gift. Annual fee is ~$50. You can load 10 courses into the device and a number on your on-line account. I find it helpful. You might check eBay.

The Golflogix has a $29 annual fee and you can load 20 courses on it. I already checked Ebay and will probably order one tonight.

Now if someone developes the technology to actually track the ball itself then someone is going to be very rich. :thumbsup:

I'm not a golfer, but a GPS seems a tad unsporting

Again, to the purists out there... Why? So does a "caddy" then...?? There are still other elements that have to be taken into consideration to process the shot. Aren't courses already giving the golfer all the information?... With GPS, it just becomes readily available.

IMO, I see the GPS as just an automated caddy who knows their stuff to a certain extent.

From Wiki:

In golf, a caddy (or caddie) is the person who carries a player's bag, and gives insightful advice and moral support. A good caddy is aware of the challenges and obstacles of the golf course being played, along with the best strategy in playing it. This includes knowing overall yardage, pin placements and club selection.

What is the difference with a GPS??

I think Mary Queen of Scots coined the term "caddy"... Surely giving the technology of today she may have used a GPS... :thumbsup::wallbash:

So... If you are going to call a GPS "unsporting"... I agrue that a caddy is as equally unsporting... Afterall who is playing the game??

Again, to the purists out there... Why? So does a "caddy" then...?? There are still other elements that have to be taken into consideration to process the shot. Aren't courses already giving the golfer all the information?... With GPS, it just becomes readily available.

IMO, I see the GPS as just an automated caddy who knows their stuff to a certain extent.

From Wiki:

In golf, a caddy (or caddie) is the person who carries a player's bag, and gives insightful advice and moral support. A good caddy is aware of the challenges and obstacles of the golf course being played, along with the best strategy in playing it. This includes knowing overall yardage, pin placements and club selection.

What is the difference with a GPS??

I think Mary Queen of Scots coined the term "caddy"... Surely giving the technology of today she may have used a GPS... :thumbsup::wallbash:

So... If you are going to call a GPS "unsporting"... I agrue that a caddy is as equally unsporting... Afterall who is playing the game??

Well I've never used a caddie either. In fact, most golfers never do. And frankly, I don't understand why professional golfers get the benefit of a caddy either. Why should the best players in the world need assistants? And why can't they carry their own goddamn bags for that matter?

Well I've never used a caddie either. In fact, most golfers never do. And frankly, I don't understand why professional golfers get the benefit of a caddy either. Why should the best players in the world need assistants? And why can't they carry their own goddamn bags for that matter?

:(:lol::thumbsup::(

Gotta hand it to you man, you are consistent! No argument here!

:thumbsup::wallbash:

Call me a stodgy purist if you must, but something about using a GPS seems...impure...

Next time you swing your Titanium/Carbon Fiber Driver with the head the size of a watermelon, and pound your nike extra long distance ball with increased lift of the ladies tee, remind yourself that you're a stodgy purest.

Next time you swing your Titanium/Carbon Fiber Driver with the head the size of a watermelon, and pound your nike extra long distance ball with increased lift of the ladies tee, remind yourself that you're a stodgy purest.

:thumbsup::(

I must be in a slap happy mood (waking up to 6 inches of snow in April will do that)... But that is priceless what you said... To me, GOLF is the one game that technology (from course to equipment, etc.. etc..) has greatly altered yet what pumps me is this purest "history" that the sport clings to... What gives? :thumbsup::wallbash:

Just a question sage, ever use a yardage book? Same thing as a GPS yes? BTW, i am still waiting for the first guy, someone like a Briney Baird or Tommy Armour III to completly sell out and just get a smokin hot chick on his bag. You know, someone who seems to always maintain his card, but is never in contention at any tourney that matters. Someone pays em likke $2M to have a smokin hottie as his caddie, the publicity would be priceless. I don't care if he never gets on the tube on the weekend, everyone will know who sponsors ole Briney(or what ever his name is)

And as for the 4 putt...well, we've all been there before. :thumbsup:

Exactly. Go to the range, know your yardages, know your wedges, and go from there.