Would you ever consider getting a gun?

PTS

Case closed.

Agreed. Naturally, I just assumed you would align yourself with the undereducated and the poorly cleansed. Thanks for proving me right, once again.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the state stats mean nothing to Anchorage its self. They are inflated by crime in the rural,roadless villages that are 99% alcohol related. Besides in a state with a population of 600,000,it does not take much to bump the"per 100,000" figure. Anchorage is quite safe,I assure you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchorage,_Alaska#Public_safety

In 2005, the latest year for which data is available, Anchorage reported 735.6 violent crimes per 100,000 population and 4,116.1 property crimes per 100,000 population (see table). Anchorage's crime rate, both for violent and property crimes, is higher than for Alaska as a whole or for the U.S. as a whole. When compared with U.S. cities of similar size, Anchorage has a comparable rate of violent crime and a lower rate of property crime. Anchorage, and Alaska in general, have very high rates of sexual assault in comparison with the rest of the country, with Anchorage's annual rate of forcible rapes over twice as high as for the U.S. as a whole. Alaska Natives are victimized at a much higher rate than their representation in the population

Excellent post, Dean. Your use of commas, and other punctuation, is both robust and superb.

Absurd. His use of commas is offensive to even the most grammar-illiterate on this board.

Overuse of commas slows reading and obfuscates clarity.

Absurd. His use of commas is offensive to even the most grammar-illiterate on this board.

Overuse of commas slows reading and obfuscates clarity.

I concur (to a degree). I should try to write less parenthetically. But, until I manage to do that, the commas remain.

As for offending the grammar-illiterate...who really gives a s#it?

Since you put anyone who disagrees with you,or wonders how you get your swollen head though a door,in that category yes I do.

LOL...You're head is sooooo big that.........

Funny how a gun topic turns into a comma and parentheses topic

I'm an ellipsis man...

And I dabble - in the dash.

Then use them both properly. When ending a sentence with an ellipsis, add a period. When using the dash, make sure it's the em dash (as you would use it above) and not the en dash or hyphen.

I concur (to a degree). I should try to write less parenthetically. But, until I manage to do that, the commas remain.

Parentheticals are fine. Your commas are not.

Adding the comma after "but" above is awful. You start the sentence with a conjunction (which is proper) in order to link two sentences and speed up the reading process. Right after the "but," you insert the comma road block. The later comma is fine.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :D

IIRC, Australia has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the free world. Is that true and how does it affect crime and punishment there?

Chris Rock said we don't need gun control we need bullet control. Every bullet should cost $5,000. If you heard about a guy getting 10 bullets pumped into him you'd have to say; "He musta done something" :(

Madonna only weighs in on matters concerning her beloved England, international child adoption laws and sometimes her always changing yet strangely fascinating music career...Chris Rock was more relevant in this context, so would be quoting Portnoy's Complaint...which should we rid ourselves of first..the love or the hate?

We need education control, not gun control, we need culture control not control over the sales of inanimate object which have no feeling, religion, cultural concepts and no consequences...from now on lock up the offender and the weapon on far away cells, that ought to teach them both a lesson I suppose. Get real, learn to control your children and not instruments designed to inflict pain. Might as well rid ourselves of the kitchen knife, the candlestick holder(clue reference), lengths of rope and well everything....because pretty much anything can kill you...

Control the person, not the object.

I've been debating for a while now and am also wondering how many people are also in the same boat. I'm starting to lean toward getting a gun.

You look at all the recent stories and it's scary. I don't want my friends, family or me to be a victim because some nut job had a bad day.

With the way the world is today, I starting to think more good people need guns just in case some wacko decides to go off in public again, which seems to be a recurring trend lately.

Thoughts?

I have quite a few and a NYS pistol permit. I have been a hunter and a shooter all of my life. It is a major responsibility. You need to comit to learning how to use it properly and safely AND most importantly learning the law in NYS regarding using it in self defense which is more complex and restrictive in NYS than in many other states. If you do buy one make sure you have a secure place for it. I have a gun Safe.

If the primary purpose is self defense research the law first then make your decision along with a committment to use it safely , effectively and legally. The issue is much more complex than just going out and buying a gun.

Hopefully you will never have to shoot a human being with your weapon. If you do you probably will have saved your life and perhaps some others. You will have to say goodbye to most of you cash though. Your attroney will have that.

I have quite a few and a NYS pistol permit. I have been a hunter and a shooter all of my life. It is a major responsibility. You need to comit to learning how to use it properly and safely AND most importantly learning the law in NYS regarding using it in self defense which is more complex and restrictive in NYS than in many other states. If you do buy one make sure you have a secure place for it. I have a gun Safe.

If the primary purpose is self defense research the law first then make your decision along with a committment to use it safely , effectively and legally. The issue is much more complex than just going out and buying a gun.

Hopefully you will never have to shoot a human being with your weapon. If you do you probably will have saved your life and perhaps some others. You will have to say goodbye to most of you cash though. Your attroney will have that.

And isn't that the sad fact of NYS. The criminal has more rights than gun owner.

Trader, can you differentiate between NYS laws and military 7 uses of deadly force? The military is pretty strict and defined as well, and it's what I've been 'programmed' to encompass.

Just interested in knowing if there are more restrictions in a 'civilian' scenario.

If it's such an effective deterrent then why does Alaska have one of the highest rates of violent crime?

A variety of reasons, including:

1. Much of the state is basically a third world country. The villages are significantly more dangerous than the cities as they don't have/want real law enforcement. Remoteness + alcohol = violent crime, especially towards the women. I'd venture to guess that the reported crimes barely touch the tip of the iceberg on what really goes on away from cites you can access by road.

2. A whole lot of criminals from the Lower 48 end up here because they know they have a better chance of staying out of jail as long as they stay off the radar.

3. The Alaska "Natives" have a ridiculous contribution to the totals, for a variety of reasons. Cultural differences, the ridiculous rate of alcoholism, etc.

4. Substance abuse. One stat that the police recite with regularity is that after 10:00 PM in Anchorage, 13 of 14 motorists are under the influence of alcohol. Substance abuse is the biggest factor in crime here.

Thanks for asking the question, even though you had an ulterior motive.

Trader, can you differentiate between NYS laws and military 7 uses of deadly force? The military is pretty strict and defined as well, and it's what I've been 'programmed' to encompass.

Just interested in knowing if there are more restrictions in a 'civilian' scenario.

The military has many different rules of engagement. The set of rules that apply are mostly determined by threat levels, intelligence, unit, and area of operation. It's not uncommon to have many different ROEs given to you during one deployment. I can't tell you what NYS law says on the subject. I can only specualte that the military can be comparable to NYS in certain areas. In other areas it's more like martial law.

If you'd ever actually seen the guy, you'd get what a hoot him calling other people "unwashed" actually is.

I'm quite certain those who know me (and there are several on this forum) would attest that I am quite clean. But, that shouldn't deter you from continuing your campaign of ignorance.

I'm quite certain those who know me (and there are several on this forum) would attest that I am quite clean. But, that shouldn't deter you from continuing your campaign of ignorance.

I sat next to you on a bus, you friggin' heathen. Of course, it's likely you were too drunk to actually remember it.

Can the superiority complex, you just can't pull it off.