Don't be surprised if TE Todd Heap becomes expendable

I've posted about Heap before and now I believe that he's all the more going to become available. Seeing that the Ravens have recently signed TE L.J. Smith, Heap is more expendable than ever before. Not only is Smith the pass catching TE that they have been looking for but he also has a history with HC John Harbaugh. Couple that with the Ravens keeping Heap in to block and it's easy to envision that he doesn't fit into the Ravens' future. Heap's contract and injury history plays against him. Knowing that the Bills have expressed interest in Tony Gonzalez before makes me think that they would be willing to make a trade for another veteran. The good news is that Heap was healthier than he has been in the last few years and it shouldn't take more than a mid rd pick to obtain him in a trade. Hopefully Buffalo makes this happen, it would be one less need to fill come draft day.

I've posted about Heap before and now I believe that he's all the more going to become available. Seeing that the Ravens have recently signed TE L.J. Smith, Heap is more expendable than ever before. Not only is Smith the pass catching TE that they have been looking for but he also has a history with HC John Harbaugh. Couple that with the Ravens keeping Heap in to block and it's easy to envision that he doesn't fit into the Ravens' future. Heap's contract and injury history plays against him. Knowing that the Bills have expressed interest in Tony Gonzalez before makes me think that they would be willing to make a trade for another veteran. The good news is that Heap was healthier than he has been in the last few years and it shouldn't take more than a mid rd pick to obtain him in a trade. Hopefully Buffalo makes this happen, it would be one less need to fill come draft day.

He's taken some hard shots to his head, Tipster. I'd be wary.

everything Ive read and heard says that the Ravens plan to keep Heap and play a lot of two TE sets which Cam Cameron likes to do

Heap clearly isnt the receiving TE he once was he is still one of the better blocking TEs...LJ Smith gets hurt a lot as well and only signed one year deal so its not like he is fully dependable or the long term solution

I'd prefer not to pickup a retread tight end.

At this point Todd Heap has a name, but without the same game.

This draft really seems to have quite a few options at the tight end position

and I'm hoping we finally fix a problem long term that we have had for quite awhile.

We rent him for a year or two, like we did with TO. There's nothing wrong with a "retread". The Patriots has won championships with them. Iremeber when we got WR James Lofton. I thought that he was long in tooth but the guy went on to add to his huge career with us.

I wouldn't mind bringing in Heap if we can get him for a reasonable price(mid to late round pick). The Bills would be well served to draft a TE, even if they pick up a player like Heap.

I totally agree with you.

He's taken some hard shots to his head, Tipster. I'd be wary.

I hear ya stuckincincy and I respect your opinion on this, especially because I know that you pay attention to the AFC North. I do have confidence in our medical staff and if they cleared him for the intermediate future then I'm all in on this trade.

Great talent, but always hurt. Could of been one of the best at his position if he could of stayed healthy.

I'd rather build through the draft, specially considering this year's crop of TE's.

There's no reason why we still couldn't draft a TE to develope. I like what Heap could bring for us and that's not for us to have to emphasize getting a TE early in this draft. I don't believe that we are good enough as a team for us to be able to afford a luxury pick on a TE. We have just as big, if not bigger, needs to address early in our draft.

I think that there are other benefits to adding Heap. When he came into the league he was mentored by Shannon Sharpe. Heap's knowledge and experience would be something that our young TE/HBs could draw from, especially Derek Fine. Having Heap being able to block is an added bonus for us because there is no doubt about his receiving abilities.

Harbaugh runs a very regiment camp and with Heap's health history I would think that it might not be the most condusive camp for a 29 year old TE who has had suspect health even though he did play in all 16 games last year. This could be where Jauron's demeanor becomes a good thing. I believe that Heap is the kind of player who would want to prove that he can still play at a high level. He wasn't happy about being used as a blocker but he did it and didn't complain.

"smith is the pass catching TE that they have been looking for..."

this is an absurd statement. do you know anything about the NFL?

these posters need to get some facts straight. first, LJ smith is primarily a blocking back with good hands (see 1 good season he had) and is nothing more than an improved robert royal without the dropsies. secondly, todd heap has been one of the top 10 pass catching TE's in the game over the past 8 seasons (minus a couple injured seasons, which you are absolutely correct on)... if they do release him, buffalo is stupid to not run at him. he had a down year last year stat wise, but that had more to do with flacco as qb than anything else.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitL.00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HeapTo00.htm

"smith is the pass catching TE that they have been looking for..."

this is an absurd statement. do you know anything about the NFL?

these posters need to get some facts straight. first, LJ smith is primarily a blocking back with good hands (see 1 good season he had) and is nothing more than an improved robert royal without the dropsies. secondly, todd heap has been one of the top 10 pass catching TE's in the game over the past 8 seasons (minus a couple injured seasons, which you are absolutely correct on)... if they do release him, buffalo is stupid to not run at him. he had a down year last year stat wise, but that had more to do with flacco as qb than anything else.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitL.00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HeapTo00.htm

Are you for real?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-r...p&type=lgns

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Ha...?urn=nfl,149797

The knock on Smith has been his health and his drops at inopportune times. Harbaugh is looking at him for his speed, so what in the world are YOU talking about?? Maybe you better get your facts straight pal.

Heap has faced a rash of injuries over the last couple of seasons, but he is still a good TE. He's 4 years younger than Gonzo also. He would cost us $13.2 million over the next 3 seasons which I believe is pretty reasonable, considering we could cut ties at anytime or rengoiate if he seems to still have "it". If we can get him for a 5th I'd do it. Baltimore made him the highest paid TE in the game about 3 years ago for a reason.

While signing his contract there's a good chance he would injure himself. Seriously I understand that he is/was talented but his greatest talent is the inability to stay healthy. Since we don't have a huge number of bodies at the position I think that if one were to trade for a veteran it would prove most viable to find someone who can be relied upon.

While Gonzo might be 4 years older than heap he has never suffered a major injury that I can recall. He's never coming to Buffalo though.

I honestly would trade for Heap...he has close to 2-3 years left in him...why not take a flyer on that guy....

Benefit's of having Heap...

-He's a reliable pass catcher

-Great Blocker

-Great Character

-Veteran

-Great Role Model

The negative of course...

-His Age

-Injury-Prone

Heap is a hardworking familyman, who is a coaches player and is always looking to better himself on and off the field...

Another key factor is Heap is Mormon...Western New York is the Mormon Mecca...

If he did play for this team, I could see him become a strong leader for the young TE's

just say no to heap. over the past 2 years, he has spent more time on the sidelines injured, than on the playing field. if we are trading for a te i would much rather have gonzo. i know gonzo is older but atleast he would be on the field to contribute.

just say no to heap. over the past 2 years, he has spent more time on the sidelines injured, than on the playing field. if we are trading for a te i would much rather have gonzo. i know gonzo is older but atleast he would be on the field to contribute.

Nobody is disputing that Gonzo is a superior player to Heap. Gonzo is not coming to Buffalo. The OP was suggesting that Heap may be a decent option, if he becomes available.

Don't get Todd Heap. He's brittle and gets hurt waaaaay too much. You don't want to be overpaying for a talented player that only plays in about 1/3 of the games.

Sincerely,

Tim Connolly