Pettigrew in round 2

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be long gone.

Pettigrew could definitly be gone, but way gone, I don't know. It is difficult to predict when tight ends will be taken. I remember the year we drafted McGahee, I thought the bills were going to select Whitten. Whitten then proceeded to fall to the 3rd round. On the other hand, last year I thought there would definitly be a top tight end prospect available in the 3rd. When the run started however, the top prospect were all gone. Even teams with good tight ends like on Washington drafted tight ends early last year.

Coffman CAN'T BLOCK! If he's a full-time player, on running plays, he will be a liability. If he's a part-time player, he will essentially be a red flag, saying "Hey, defense, it's a pass, in case you weren't sure."

Pettigrew can do both. It's true that he's not the best receiving TE in the draft, but he is far and away the best overall TE, a sensational blocker and a very fine reciever.

Will we pick him? Who knows. Would he be a much better pick than any of the other TEs in this draft? Yup.

Question: Have you ever seen Coffman block? Your answer would have to be no, because he did almost no blocking whatsoever in college.

Just because he didn't block doesn't mean he can't block. There is a difference.

Blocking is about attitude.

I agree with Thurman#1. Pettigrew might be the best outlet we can have for Edwards--he can block, then move into position to receive an outlet pass and run 5 yards. That's a different kind of tight end than the speedburner TE's that Coffman is. I want the multipurpose TE for Edwards.

We also need to take advantage of our spot in the drfat. Someone might slip to us we didn't expect. If it's a Raji, I don't give a hoo-hah if it's not a TE-OLB-DE---you take him. Also, if someone else wants to trade with us, and give us a RD2 or RD3 pick, I say you do that.

Question: Have you ever seen Coffman block? Your answer would have to be no, because he did almost no blocking whatsoever in college.

Just because he didn't block doesn't mean he can't block. There is a difference.

Blocking is about attitude.

don't get me wrong, I think Coffman is going to be a fine pro. But his speed is about the same as Pettigrew's so his ability to stretch the field up the middle will most likely not be much more effective than Pettigrew's.

Regarding what you said about his blocking ability, well the same argument you made can be said for many of the Tight End draft prospects.

I just believe that Pettigrew is the best overall Tight End Prospect to come out of college in the last few years, and that he would be able to contribute more to the Bills in his first couple years than Coffman will.

Specially for someone who wasn't even asked to block that often in college, even if he is a willing blocker and has the right attitude, you have to figure the learning curve is going to be pretty steep at the pro level.

That's a different kind of tight end than the speedburner TE's that Coffman is. I want the multipurpose TE for Edwards.

Que? Coffman ran a 4.85, just like Pettigrew. He is not a "speedburner" by any means. You might have him confused with Jared Cook or Shawn Nelson.

don't get me wrong, I think Coffman is going to be a fine pro. But his speed is about the same as Pettigrew's so his ability to stretch the field up the middle will most likely not be much more effective than Pettigrew's.

Regarding what you said about his blocking ability, well the same argument you made can be said for many of the Tight End draft prospects.

I just believe that Pettigrew is the best overall Tight End Prospect to come out of college in the last few years, and that he would be able to contribute more to the Bills in his first couple years than Coffman will.

Specially for someone who wasn't even asked to block that often in college, even if he is a willing blocker and has the right attitude, you have to figure the learning curve is going to be pretty steep at the pro level.

Most certainly, but that is still not the same as:

Coffman CAN'T BLOCK! If he's a full-time player, on running plays, he will be a liability. If he's a part-time player, he will essentially be a red flag, saying "Hey, defense, it's a pass, in case you weren't sure."

Will be long gone.

That's what people said about Hardy in Round 2 last year.

I'm not saying Pettigrew will be there, but I have seen more Mock Drafts that have Pettigrew available in the second round this year than I saw mock drafts predicting Hardy would be avialable in the second round last year.

That's what people said about Hardy in Round 2 last year.

I'm not saying Pettigrew will be there, but I have seen more Mock Drafts that have Pettigrew available in the second round this year than I saw mock drafts predicting Hardy would be avialable in the second round last year.

The difference is that Pettigrew is the consensus No. 1 TE. Hardy wasn't the No. 1 WR. It is a lot easier for a player ranked 4-5th at his position to fall than the No. 1 player.

The difference is that Pettigrew is the consensus No. 1 TE. Hardy wasn't the No. 1 WR. It is a lot easier for a player ranked 4-5th at his position to fall than the No. 1 player.

Hardy was the #1 wr on a couple of teams draft boards. It was common knowledge that the Vikings and Bucs had him as the best wide out, and would have selected him if other guys were not there. Other teams of course did not have him #1, which gives your point some validity.

#1 or not, a TE is not always picked in the 1st round.

How do we know who is 'the consensus no. 1'?

In '08, How many 'experts' predicted Donnie Avery would go before Devin Thomas?

I have seen alot of mock drafts and i dont see Pettigrew falling to the Bills in the second round

Besides the need for a DE or LB outweighs the TE position

There is talent this year @TE and the Bills would be better served waiting to get a TE in the second

But my 2 cents on Pettigrews speed

How fast to you need to be to run a seem patten from the 10 yd line in the red zone?

Pettigrew best use in this offense is in the red zone

We need an extra tall target for Trent in the RED ZONE and whoever they draft at the TE position this will be the main focus, a player that can help them in the red zone.

TO and Lee will draw coverage on every play

The TE will be one on one for the most part on every play.

They need a TE that can just catch move the chain type of passes Pettigrew, Coffman, Cook...man they have alot of options for players that can do just that :lol:

#1 or not, a TE is not always picked in the 1st round.

How do we know who is 'the consensus no. 1'?

In '08, How many 'experts' predicted Donnie Avery would go before Devin Thomas?

We don't but from all the lists on all the sites and all the tidbits we hear, 99% of them list Pettigrew as the the No. 1 TE in the draft. Does that mean he will be the first TE selected? No. Not many people listed Donnie Avery as the No. 1 WR last year but last year's WR group was a litte tricky. If you asked 10 different experts, you might get 10 different answers on who the top WR was. That doesn't seem to be the case with TE this year.

By all accounts, Pettigrew seems to be looked at as the cream of the crop among this year's TEs. Back to my orginal point, it is going to be a lot harder for a guy like that to fall to the Bills, than a player like Hardy last year.

Numbers don't really mean much when your a TE on a predominant running team,what most scouts agree on is that Pettigrew is more NFL ready at this point then other TE's because he is already a dominate blocker and easily handled some of this years premier pass rushers at the senior bowl.

The other TE's in this years draft may turn out to be as good as Pettigrew in blocking at some point,who knows how many years it will take for them to get there,if ever. Anyone who has watched Pettigrew play will know that the guy also catches everything thrown his way.

I doubt Pettigrew will make it to round two, as stated eariler if he makes it to Philly's pick at #21 I'll be surprised,he is just to good a player to be over looked that much.

Kiper pick: Bills #11 -Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State -- Pettigrew remains the No. 1 tight end on the board and would be a boost to the Buffalo passing attack.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/ins...%3fid%3d3972427

Pettigrew is more NFL-ready than most recent collegiate tight ends. A nagging ankle injury robbed him of the opportunity of breaking out as a senior, but the natural hands, rare athleticism and brute strength demonstrated throughout his career are the traits scouts look for in a complete tight end. Had an arm span of 34 7/8 inches and a hand span of 10 3/4 inches at the combine.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/brando...le-tab-overview

FIRST ROUND PROSPECTS

1. Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma State: Pettigrew is, by light-years, the most complete tight end prospect available this year, and perhaps in recent memory. Question his receiving numbers all you want, but the undeniable truth is that if the Bills are ever going to think that a tight end is perfect for their offense, this guy is it. He's ready to contribute to a winning organization right away, and he's still got solid upside as well.

THIRD ROUND PROSPECTS

2. Chase Coffman, Missouri: They say this year's tight end class is deep. I disagree. There are a lot of players available; very few of them fit what the Bills traditionally look for at the position. One one-dimensional guy with room to grow is Chase Coffman, owner of the best set of hands in the draft. His hands make him coveted; his size and blocking potential put him second on my list, but only as a third-round prospect.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/3/30/...-nfl-draft-s-ti

That's because there was no consensus #1 WR last year. Hardy wasn't the #1 on most boards I saw; generally it went back and forth between Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas with DeSean Jackson and Hardy right behind them. Pettigrew is the consensus #1 TE, and the last time a TE hasn't been drafted in the first round was 1999, so mark my words, he will be drafted in the first round. I can't imagine him sliding past Atlanta at #24.