Your favorite Bills player of all time and why...

SKOOBY

This is a tough question...guys like Kelly, Bruce, Thurman and Reed are all obvious, and deserving choices.

But for me, three guys stand out even more:

Joe Ferguson- I know he has his detractors, but as a lad, he was the first Bills QB's of substance for me. My "rookie year" as a Bills fan was 1972 (I define rookie year as being the first season I am old enough to remember), when Dennis Shaw was the leader of our team. Fergy came along the next year, and was strictly a "game manager". But, after OJ Simpson left Buffalo, Fergy was the identity of the team. When Chuck Knox came on board, contrary to his "ground Chuck" nickname, the offense opened up, and Ferguson put together 3 pretty great seasons... and for the first time in my life, the Bills were a legit NFL playoff team...

Jerry Butler- One of the classiest guys to wear a Bills uniform, and really underappreciated. His career was stunted by injuries, but, when healthy, this guy was an elite receiver.

Joe Cribbs- if not for the bad decision to jump to the USFL, I think Cribbs would be ranked right up there with Gilchrist, Simpson and Thomas as all-time franchise running back. He was sort of a pioneer of that versatile running and catching runnig back, that has become so prevelant. He was a little guy, who hit hard, and had great open field speed. I recently wathced an old Bills/Dolphins game from 1981, and was impressed, again, by how fast and elusive this guy was.

Steve Freeman I guess you all can tell (if you are still reading this) that I sort of have a man crush on the Knox era Bills teams. So, what about it? Freeman (now an NFL official) was not the greatest athlete on the terrific Bills defense of that era, but at the safety spot, he was its' smartest player. He was also kind of undersized, but could hit, and was a solid tackler.

Cudoz to those who admired the late, great Bob Chandler #81. Obviously, I share this. Though, IMO, the very best football player in Buffalo Bills history was Tom Sestak. Every bit as dominating as Bruce, he exceeds him by shutting down everything in the middle. If not for injury, he'd be recognized as the best player from the AFL and immortalized in Canton.

Thurman Thomas! I have never seen another RB set up blocks the way he did. Everyone says that Roger Craig was the mold of the versatile RB. But Craig played in the first westcoast offense when fullbacks had 40 catches a year! Thurman played in a spread type offense, he would be lined up all over the place, he was a great blocker, he took direct snaps, when was the last time you saw a RB take a direct snap that wasn't in a wildcat formation! He was a true dual threat. The thing to me though that was so amazing about Thurman was that he wasn't this God gifted athlete, he was a God gifted football player like Spielman. If you ever saw the guy in a pair of shorts he was hardly physically impressive, he had no calfs, his arms were doughy and he wasn't even 200 lbs. But when he got on the field he was was the best football player! Oh, and his facemask was awesome!

Bobby Chandler. And perhaps you older guy can back me up. But I've never seen a guy who would lay out for a catch like he did. He made getting two feet inbounds sexy before his time.

And an outrageous downfield blocker. He was a master of a perfectly timed "layout" block that would clear the way for long runs.

My vote would be for him or Robert James, one of the best cornerbacks in the history of the NFL... the first lockdown corner.

Steve Tasker. He's given us many memorable moments but one that always sticks with me is a play he made against Tim Brown of the Raiders. Brown was back fielding a punt and just as he caught it Tasker made a beautiful text book tackle to bring him down for no gain. As Brown was getting up he clapped his hands, pointed his finger at Tasker, then reached out his hand to help him up. It was a wonderful gesture and a perfect example of the respect Tasker got from opposing players. I'll never forget that.

I have a few that havent been mentioned..

Cornelius Bennett

Phil Hanson

Frank Reich

Sam Cowart

Kevin Everett

Doug Flutie- I thought it was a classy thing when he gave his signing bonus the the Hunters Hope Foundation

Henry Jones

Of course thats after Kelly, Smith, Metz, Don Beebe, Reed

Jim Braxton(RIP)...Tony Greene...Bobby Chandler(RIP)...Cookie..

Tony for the underdog kinda thing---excellent player without lottsa size

Jim for being a big nice guy who ripped off some amazing runs

Bobby for having the best hands ever for a WR in the NFL(OK--tied for best with many others)

Cookie---woulda made 15 mil/yr in todays game..didnt start playting in the AFL til what?? age 27 or 28?? One of the greatest athletes and a real

character.

JIM KELLY!!!!

He was the reason I started watching football in the first place.I had a man crush on him as a boy.

maybe the only guy I would sleep with.

I would have to say Jim Kelly, both for what he did on the field and what he has and still does bring to the Western New York community. It certainly wasn't an easy choice though, some players that I gave thought to:

Darryl Talley-Leader of the defense during the Superbowl years, who never got the recognition he deserved. Was also a fun guy in person, having met him several times.

Jim Haslett-Loved the intensity he played with, especially the game where he stepped on Terry Bradshaws head after his helmet fell off. Not sure if it was intentional, but I think he got the boot if my getting old memory serves me correctly.

Andre Reed-another under recognized All-Time Great. Always there for the big play.

Fred Smerlas-He gave so much to the franchise and just missed being on the Super Bowl teams.

Lou Piccone-Always have to route for undersized over achiever.

Steve Tasker-No player in Bills history achieved more with so little than he did. He sacrificed his body on every play.

Ken Davis-Was there ever a time that he had to fill in for Thurman that he didn't produce?

Bobby Chandler-What kid in the 70's didn't play catch in the streets and mimick the sideline catch that he was so good at.

Talley ... He gave you 100% all of the time ... unsung player on a team of superstars.

Spielman ... loved football so much he would play for free in a gravel parking lot ... classic throw back player.

Gibram Hamdan ... for the chroise! lol ... err ... maybe not.

It is a shame we only really had Spielman for one full season before his neck injury. Even Kelly said at his retirement that Spielman was the most intense player he ever played with.

Thomas Smith. Super athletic corner who had the worst hands I've ever seen.

Scott Norwood. A great kicker repping the single bar facemask that got a raw deal after missing an extremely tough kick. Now he sells insurance or something and hides out. No love for the kickers.

Mark Kelso. He proved that a white 5'10" 180 lb. 10th round draft pick could play in this league, and play at a high level.

Bryce Paup. A pure terror rushing from the outside on our old 3-4.

Carwell Gardner. If you're in the way, move!

Sam Gash. Ditto.

Travis Henry. Hasn't made the best decisions in life (who has?), but also got a raw deal from a fool of a GM who disregarded our needs and went with the sexy pick in McGahee.

Darryl Talley. How can you not love the spider-man sleeves??