Battlestar Galatica final - what do you think of it?

BillsWatch

The much anticipated final was shown last night and i eagerly watched it and the Frackin' special as well. I'll try not to post any big spoilers.

The special admitted they had not picked out the final Cylons ahead of time but was there was discussion when picking them it was a combination of elimination and consensus when they did. It was interesting to hear attitude of SF execs.

The final battle seemed a little rushed into - not getting there or the battle but reasoning.

The song finally made sense even if it was not planned from beginning.

I liked the resolution of the Kara/Starbuck plot and it fit in well with resolution of the Giaius/Capricorn plot.

I liked as well as the Boomer/Athena plots completion.

The temple resolution was well foreshadowed.

The series has been eliminated some characters as it has been going along (Zare, Call, Dualla, Gaeta).

They brought in a few too many new characters in final 2 hour episode. Some who I thought were new had made many token appearances but only the actor's family and friends knew.

Great series overall but I would not mind a "director's cut" for DVD making it a bit tighter (removing recaps) and expanding a few scenes like intended.

The final number surviving seemed high but I think they were counting the human cyclons as well.

I thought it was lame, just like the past 2 seasons have been. You just CAN'T make up major plot points as you go (like the final 5). The writing just wasn't very tight.

Why the heck did they bring up Daniel, a potential 13th Cylon, a few weeks ago? Nothing came of it.

What the heck is/was Thrace? I guess an angel, but different than the other two? Sure, whatever.

150,000 years later? Yeah, ok.

What was the point of the multiple flashbacks? Do I care that Roslin slept with one of her students? How did it add to the story at all?

Hera was completely overstated -- "she's the savior!" All she did was run away from people... What's the point?

The last 30 minutes, watching everyone wander around the planet, was just plain dull and not very realistic. "Let's abandon all technology and medicine! Yay, us!!!"

I enjoyed the first couple of seasons, but after that it was obvious that they were just throwing things against a wall, seeing what would stick, and going from there. The Cylons had a plan. The writers didn't, and that's just sad.

PS: I liked one comment I read that said, "I want to watch a slapstick comedy of the trials and tribulations of the Centurions in space!" :blink:

plotholes aside I actually sit here very sad because there is not going to be another one to watch ever again.....

Much like the original battlestar galactica I became very attached to that show

Plotholes the size of potholes in WNY.... :blink:

And you're wrong -- BSG: The Plan is coming out in fall. We'll get to see the Cylons plan to destroy Caprica! Woohoo! :censored:

Overall the episode wasn't too bad. Except for all those extraneous back story scenes. I'm just kind of disappointed with the last half season as a whole. I don't think ultimately that it added anything. In a lot of ways I think the series should have ended with them standing on the ruined Earth.

Frack you guys....I thought it was good. Would rather have had humans fail and die, but for a happy ending it was ok....little too religious but that's what the series has always been really based on.

Wonder how Caprica will be? Looks like you can rent the 2 hour pilot starting in April.

Frack you guys....I thought it was good. Would rather have had humans fail and die, but for a happy ending it was ok....little too religious but that's what the series has always been really based on.

Wonder how Caprica will be? Looks like you can rent the 2 hour pilot starting in April.

Actually, the first season or two had very little religion. My opinion is that they just started using religion as a crutch when they wrote themselves into a corner. "Hmmm, how do we explain this...? I know, they'll be ANGELS!!!!" :blink:

Go back and re-watch some episodes from season 1 and tell me that the "angel" motif still works. Why is the Six "angel" always fraking Baltar? It was the lame way out. :censored:

Actually, the first season or two had very little religion. My opinion is that they just started using religion as a crutch when they wrote themselves into a corner. "Hmmm, how do we explain this...? I know, they'll be ANGELS!!!!" :blink:

Go back and re-watch some episodes from season 1 and tell me that the "angel" motif still works. Why is the Six "angel" always fraking Baltar? It was the lame way out. :censored:

Not the angel part, but I remember the first season including cylons obsession of the gods and love. It wasn't as forward as it was to become, but when my wife explained the show to others after only seeing the first season she felt religion was a strong part of the show. I didn't agree with her then, but now I know she was right.

Also....does Chief go to Ireland? A highland island off the north continent?

I gave up on BSG a couple seasons ago

You are a very smart man. Wish I had done the same. After the Cylon occupation, it went down the drain, IMHO.

Also....does Chief go to Ireland? A highland island off the north continent?

Yeah, they said something like that.

The more I think about it, the more I like it and think that it couldn't have ended any other way. There were lots of good things:

The final viper off Galactica with the original series music, followed by the last scene of the fleet, it's EXACTLY the same as the opening of the original series. Pretty nice homage.

Lot's of Star Wars references and quotes.

Cavil's one-liners were great!

Centurions fighting alongside humans against other Centurions? Frackkin AWESOME!!! Plus, seeing the old school Centurions and raptors again was great too.

I think the Kara Thrace ending was fine. She was brought back to fullfill her destiny and was taken back when it was finished. Classic SciFI. I like it better than having an ending where God was congratulating her for a job well done. That would have been lame. Also the "head" six and Baltar lines were hinted at the entire series. Leaving all this as a "leap of faith" was better than everyone just being a Cylon.

The flashbacks were a bit distracting, but if you think about it, it brings the main characters full circle. They show how they ended up at the beginning of the mini-series as the characters they are. I don't have any problem with them.

The Centurions gain thier freedom was a nice touch.

The fact that modern humans are an amalgam of native humans, cylons and colonials, and the culture and language was brought to out Earth.

The stuff I didn't like:

All series we've heard of this "plan" the Cylons have. There was no plan as far as I can see. Maybe the new movie will explain.

The fact that EVERYONE decided to live on the new planet sans technology. While I think that is fine for the majority, I think it would have been more realistic for a smaller group to take a ship and head out for a new world, like the Centurions did.

I think the final "150,000 years later" scene at the end was overkill. Not needed and doesn't really add a whole lot to the ending.

Adama puking. Not the way you want to remember the old man.

The implication that Adama goes off to live alone without seeing Lee again. Not realistic and goes against the characters. All series they've been rebuilding thier relationship only to throw it out at the end.

A fine series, I will miss it...

The implication that Adama goes off to live alone without seeing Lee again. Not realistic and goes against the characters. All series they've been rebuilding thier relationship only to throw it out at the end.

I had a huge problem with this as well. Father and son land on a new planet finally completing their mission and they decide to never see each other? Terrible.

I also didn't like the Boomer ending. She gives the "tell the old man I owed him one" line and then do a flashback to explain what she was talking about?? You can't just force in an emotional back-story like that. When I first heard her say it, I just assumed she was talking about how she shot him. When I saw the little flashback, I thought it was ridiculous.

Fez touched on the 13th Cylon thing (Daniel). I assumed that Daniel was Kara's father. I thought that's what they were trying to show when they said he always used to play All Along the Watchtower...? That would make Kara a half human half cylon.

I had a huge problem with this as well. Father and son land on a new planet finally completing their mission and they decide to never see each other? Terrible.

I also didn't like the Boomer ending. She gives the "tell the old man I owed him one" line and then do a flashback to explain what she was talking about?? You can't just force in an emotional back-story like that. When I first heard her say it, I just assumed she was talking about how she shot him. When I saw the little flashback, I thought it was ridiculous.

Fez touched on the 13th Cylon thing (Daniel). I assumed that Daniel was Kara's father. I thought that's what they were trying to show when they said he always used to play All Along the Watchtower...? That would make Kara a half human half cylon.

Agree 100% on the backstory thing with Boomer. Lame.

As for Kara's father -- if that's true and Thrace is half human, half Cylon -- then how did she disappear on New Earth? Or is she a special TELEPORTING Cylon? :thumbsup: (I could see the writers saying that :thumbsup: ).

I also can't figure out why they bothered showing that Chief wasn't the father of Cali's baby. They mentioned it once, showed Hotdog how to be a dad, then never talked about it again...

Oh well, I'll try to remember it for the first 2 seasons, and not the last 2.

Agree 100% on the backstory thing with Boomer. Lame.

As for Kara's father -- if that's true and Thrace is half human, half Cylon -- then how did she disappear on New Earth? Or is she a special TELEPORTING Cylon? :thumbsup: (I could see the writers saying that :thumbsup: ).

I also can't figure out why they bothered showing that Chief wasn't the father of Cali's baby. They mentioned it once, showed Hotdog how to be a dad, then never talked about it again...

Oh well, I'll try to remember it for the first 2 seasons, and not the last 2.

To make Hera the only human-cylon in existance. Essential to thier Mitochondrial Eve implication. Also, this makes the Chief a more tragic figure, more likely to be receptive to Boomer's wiles...

To make Hera the only human-cylon in existance. Essential to thier Mitochondrial Eve implication. Also, this makes the Chief a more tragic figure, more likely to be receptive to Boomer's wiles...

Considering he was frakking Boomer at the start of season 1, do you think they needed him to be more receptive to Boomer....?

Of course the REAL reason was the writers went, "Oh crap, we didn't have a plan on who the Final 5 Cylons were, and since we picked Chief while we were writing the season 3 finale, we have to try and explain that kid he had......"

I won't even mention how lame the Tigh/Six pregnancy storyline was. :thumbsup: