Do you really want to see this franchise become successful?

What has contibuted for teams like New England and Philadelphia to become successful is the way that they accumalated draft picks. We are always rebuilding so our draft picks were an immediate need. I believe that we now have a pretty solid core with some areas of need.

In this draft I think that our two pressing needs for our 1st rd pick would be the DLine or the OLine (aren't you sick of hearing that?). The DLine (DE more so) prospects are suspect. The ones who appear to be available for us when we pick at #11 have been projected to either fall to us or even slide as far as early 2nd rd (Maybin, Ayers, Jackson etc., etc.). My suggestion would be for us to trade back in the first and select somebody like DT Peria Jerry, who in the last third of the rd would be a tremendous value and would also fill an important need for our team.

This draft is also projected to having a plethora of OL prospects. Here it appears that we have a glaring hole to fill at the LG position. I haven't read or heard too much about anyone from here or abroad predicting that our first pick at #11 be an offensive lineman. This need should be adequately addressed in the 2nd rd or even later in the 1st admirably if we were to trade down.

I suppose that there is plenty of people who would love for us to take TE Pettigrew but I just don't see it in the 1st rd for us, especially at #11. The TE position has never been a big priority for us traditionally and this is a position that has averaged only 1.5 TEs going in the first rd in the last several years. Our core is not that solid to allow us to afford this luxury. We would be better served to either take a TE in the 3rd or 4th rd or actually use one of those picks for a trade for a current veteran. Obviously trading one of those picks for Tony Scheffler would be ideal and regardless of the current false rumors, I do believe that this trade will still happen. If not, we go into the draft and select one like Shawn Nelson, Jared Cook or Chase Coffman.

The point is that there really isn't someone that we have to have at the #11 pick. A trade down and gathering either extra picks in this year's draft or in next year's draft, which is supposed to be more lucrative, especially at the QB position. I would like to see us in a great position in the 1st rd next year and not because we earned it with a losing record. I think that if we could get ourselves in the top end of the 1st rd next year we would have an awful lot of clout in continuing trading with other teams. The QBs that will be available in the first rd could propel us in really solidifying our team with more quality draft picks. It would be perpetual based on us getting ourselves in this draft position. It can all start in this year's draft.

I suggested the above scenario but even if someone wanted to put a different twist on it I think that the point would be similiar. We need to start accumalting draft picks instead of just using them when we're slotted or packaging them for trade ups. It seems like we're always selecting between #11-#13 the last few years. It's never high enough to be able to get a blue chip prospect but it's at the top end of the next tier of players. I would like to see us be able to have the resource to be able to move up into the top 6 or 7 picks where a team stands the chance of taking a top tier prospect.

It killed me to see New England have the #7 pick last year and then trade down with New Orleans to the #10 spot and STILL be able to take LB Jerod Mayo! We need to be able to get ourselves eventually into this type of position and it can start this year with our 1st rd pick at #11.

How about we we trade Dick Jauron and Trent Edwards to the Pats for Bill Belichick and Tom Brady. I'm thinking that might be a good start!

:lol:

Seriously though, I think that having a good head coach and QB are the main ingredients to NFL success. I give Jauron no shot at becoming a good head coach, Edwards is still an unknown right now. As far as the trading down thing, the Colts and Steelers are very successful and yet remain franchises that do not move around on draft day very much at all.

We just used a mid-draft pick on a TE last year. You want to use another 4th on a TE two years in a row? If you want a significant upgrade at the position through the draft you have to pull the trigger a bit earlier. These trade-down tirades are tiresome. You can't just force someone to take your pick; another team has to be absolutely sold on a guy that they are 100% sure will be unavailable to them at their slot. Top tier 1st rounders are becoming more of crap shoot every year as their guaranteed money expands. People seem to think that the Bills need to hoard draft picks to be successful. Why? "cuz that's what the patriots do." News flash, it has a lot more to do with the guys making the picks, not the # of them.

the Pats became dominant when they struck gold with Brady and have drafted good lineman in the early to mid rounds and then bought/traded for their receiving talent.

However, it is their defense that has made them consistently a great team over the past 8 years and that is what they have built through the draft and it has been built by high first round picks in the front 7.

Richard Seymour - 1st round, 6th overall

Vince Wilfork - 1st round, 21st overall

Ty Warren - 1st round, 13th overall

Jerod Mayo - 1st round, 10th overall

How many 1st rounders have the Bills invested in their current front 7? 0.

trading down is fine. but to be a consistently good team in the NFL you need a great defense and to have a great defense you need elite talent. We need elite talent. If we can trade down and get comparable talent, fine. If not, don't do it.

What has contibuted for teams like New England and Philadelphia to become successful is the way that they accumalated draft picks. We are always rebuilding so our draft picks were an immediate need. I believe that we now have a pretty solid core with some areas of need.

In this draft I think that our two pressing needs for our 1st rd pick would be the DLine or the OLine (aren't you sick of hearing that?). The DLine (DE more so) prospects are suspect. The ones who appear to be available for us when we pick at #11 have been projected to either fall to us or even slide as far as early 2nd rd (Maybin, Ayers, Jackson etc., etc.). My suggestion would be for us to trade back in the first and select somebody like DT Peria Jerry, who in the last third of the rd would be a tremendous value and would also fill an important need for our team.

This draft is also projected to having a plethora of OL prospects. Here it appears that we have a glaring hole to fill at the LG position. I haven't read or heard too much about anyone from here or abroad predicting that our first pick at #11 be an offensive lineman. This need should be adequately addressed in the 2nd rd or even later in the 1st admirably if we were to trade down.

I suppose that there is plenty of people would love for us to take TE Pettigrew but I just don't see it in the 1st rd for us, especially at #11. The TE position has never been a big priority for us tradionally and this is a position that has averaged only 1.5 TEs going in the first rd in the last several years. Our core is not that solid to allow us to afford this luxury. We would be better served to either take a TE in the 3rd or 4th rd or actually use one of those picks for a trade for a current veteran. Obviously trading one of those picks for Tony Scheffler would be ideal and regardless of the current false rumors, I do believe that this trade will still happen. If not, we go into the draft and select one like Shawn Nelson, Jared Cook or Chase Coffman.

The point is that there really someone that we have to have at the #11 pick. A trade down and gathering either extra picks in this year's draft or in next year's draft, which is supposed to be more lucrative, especially at the QB position. I would like to see us in a great position in the 1st rd next year and not because we earned it with a losing record. I think that if we could get ourselves in the top end of the 1st rd next year we would have an awful lot of clout in continuing trading with other teams. The QBs that will be available in the first rd could propel us in really solidifying our team with more quality draft picks. It would be perpetual based on us getting ourselves in this draft position. It can all start in this year's draft.

I suggested the above scenario but even if someone wanted to put a different twist on it I think that the point would be similiar. We need to start accumalting draft picks instead of just using them when we're slotted or packaging them for trade ups. It seems like we're always selecting between #11-#13 the last few years. It's never high enough to be able to get a blue chip prospect but it's at the top end of the next tier of players. I would like to see us be able to have the resource to be able to move up into the top 6 or 7 picks where a team stands the chance of taking a top tier prospect.

It killed me to see New England have the #7 pick last year and then trade down with New Orleans to the #10 spot and STILL be able to take LB Jerod Mayo! We need to be able to get ourselves eventually into this type of position and it can start this year with our 1st rd pick at #11.

Excellent post. We should absolutely be entertaining ideas for trading down, especially on draft day when we might be able to get more. And not just with Philly, like everyone is suggesting. But if we trade down ten spots and still can get Pettigrew and pick up an extra second or third rounder than it was worth it. We'd also get him for less $$. I remember last year Allen Wilson said we would pick Devin Thomas at #11. Thank God the FO had more brains than he did/does.

Last year I think the Bills played it right. I remember thinking at the time that for the first time the FO didn't screw the pooch. McKelvin was a good pick, he wouldn't have been there at #20 most likely, and he addressed the position of need while we still had our choice of WR's in the second round (we took Hardy, but we could have taken Thomas or Kelly if we thought they were better prospects - Dan Snyder obviously did, taking both of them). But I do agree with trading down, especially when you can't get what you want at your pick and your next choice(s) can be obtained later on. Great post.

We just used a mid-draft pick on a TE last year. You want to use another 4th on a TE two years in a row? If you want a significant upgrade at the position through the draft you have to pull the trigger a bit earlier.

I wasn't impressed with Fine even before they drafted him. He came off as this slow, lumbering TE. The TE clas is much deeper this year, so if we draft one in the second or third round he could be a major upgrade over a fourth rounder in a weak draft class.

People seem to think that the Bills need to hoard draft picks to be successful. Why? "cuz that's what the patriots do." News flash, it has a lot more to do with the guys making the picks, not the # of them.

There is a bit of truth to that. But I like the idea of having more picks, especially since it's a crapshoot so you get more opportunities to hit paydirt. But I agree that if there's a guy you like at that position, he fills a need (unlike, say, Willis McGahee), and he won't be there x number of picks later, then take him when you have the opportunity.

I would also favor trading up for Brian Orakpo in this draft since we'd have the money to sign him and he's clearly the #1 4-3 DE available, and Aaron Maybin may fit a team like Cleveland better anyway. I would explore that option, but not give up anything unreasonable.

Just because a guy is a first round pick doesn't mean he is automatically going to be a great player(we as well as anyone should know that). The list goes on and on both ways as far as first round busts and mid to late round stars that are in the league. The truly good longterm succesfull franchise know how to spot mid round guys 3-5 that will develope into starters. And yeah they dont miss on first or second rounders either.

I think that we should stand our ground at #11 and draft another Donte Whitner caliber player.

:lol: How many of you just threw up in your mouth a little bit?!

Those teams, NE and Philly, both were consistant playoff teams when they started trading down.

How good would the Eagles be if they traded out of the 2nd overall pick in '99?

If the Bills can pick up an impact player at #11, they should make the pick.

If the Bills are looking at a 'solid starter' type player, they should trade down.

There may be a Dwight Freeney or Patrick Willis available at #11 this year. If so, the Bills should draft him.

Of the 7 players drafted at #11 from 2001 - 2007, 7 have made the pro-bowl at least once.

We just used a mid-draft pick on a TE last year. You want to use another 4th on a TE two years in a row? If you want a significant upgrade at the position through the draft you have to pull the trigger a bit earlier. These trade-down tirades are tiresome. You can't just force someone to take your pick; another team has to be absolutely sold on a guy that they are 100% sure will be unavailable to them at their slot. Top tier 1st rounders are becoming more of crap shoot every year as their guaranteed money expands. People seem to think that the Bills need to hoard draft picks to be successful. Why? "cuz that's what the patriots do." News flash, it has a lot more to do with the guys making the picks, not the # of them.
I stated a 3rd OR a 4th rder for a pass catching TE. I also don't think that we need a "signiicant upgrade" at this position either, just a compliment. I don't know what you consider a tirade but that was not the intention of this post. I just wanted to explore, suggest and interact on the possibilities of improving this franchise and it's future, that's all.

As far as top tier 1st rders go we wouldn't really know about that because we haven't been in the top 10 for quite sometime. The last time I remember was when we selected that memorable OT Mike Williams at the #4 spot.

Although there's a difference there is also a corralation between hoarding and being in position to be able to select the proper players. Having multiple picks will allow a team to package choice picks to be able to move up in or into another rd. This permits an administration to be in position to select a quality player who could fit their team's profile. If our administrators are not competent or capable to succeed when they are in the proper position then they should be replaced. Until we are in the right position though then I don't believe that any of the above can be assessed properly.

I wasn't impressed with Fine even before they drafted him. He came off as this slow, lumbering TE. The TE clas is much deeper this year, so if we draft one in the second or third round he could be a major upgrade over a fourth rounder in a weak draft class.

There is a bit of truth to that. But I like the idea of having more picks, especially since it's a crapshoot so you get more opportunities to hit paydirt. But I agree that if there's a guy you like at that position, he fills a need (unlike, say, Willis McGahee), and he won't be there x number of picks later, then take him when you have the opportunity.

I would also favor trading up for Brian Orakpo in this draft since we'd have the money to sign him and he's clearly the #1 4-3 DE available, and Aaron Maybin may fit a team like Cleveland better anyway. I would explore that option, but not give up anything unreasonable.

Just about every team wants to trade down in the draft. It's easier said than done.
I don't remember Derek Fine being advertised as the TE that we all wanted or hoped for. I do remember the Bills' brass saying that he was a good blend of a blocking and pass catching TE. I think that a big portion of the fanbase have been hoping for a Tony Gonzalez or a Dustin Keller type of TE. I think that if we do address this position early in this draft or trade for an established veteran then it will be for that true pass catcher that so many fans have been craving for. In Denver under the Shanahan regime they also employed TE Daniel Graham heavily also but he doesn't get the headlines like Scheffler because he is used primarily as a blocker. This is who I think Fine most resembles.

More picks, more oppotunities. Having more picks is having leverage and leverage is power. Why in the world would anyone resist this theory??!

Another way to accumalate more picks or to move up in rds is to trade a player(s). Keeping our salary cap managed is part of this decision process and I for one are not capable of figuring this out accurately. There is one player though that I'm curious about and that is Roscoe Parrish. Initially looking at his role on this team and his salary figure, I'm wondering if Parrish would better serve us by trading him come draft day. I noticed that KC just signed Bobby Ingram. It wouldn't shock me if Seattle were to be interested in Parrish for their slot/punt returner. I realize that Nate Burleson is now manning both of these positions for them but this could be a realistic scenario due to Deion Branch and his salary cost. Branch could be a cap casualty thus moving Burleson up as the #2 WR to Housh. If we didn't get an outright pick for Parrish then maybe just trading draft pick positions with the right team would be just as effective. Just a thought.

Those teams, NE and Philly, both were consistant playoff teams when they started trading down.

How good would the Eagles be if they traded out of the 2nd overall pick in '99?

If the Bills can pick up an impact player at #11, they should make the pick.

If the Bills are looking at a 'solid starter' type player, they should trade down.

There may be a Dwight Freeney or Patrick Willis available at #11 this year. If so, the Bills should draft him.

Of the 8 players drafted at #11 from 2001 - 2008, 8 have made the pro-bowl at least once.

All the scenarios that you mentioned are valid logic but that's not my point. My point is that in the last several years we are never in position for that blue chip player that is usually found in the top 6 or 7 picks except for that time we blew it on Mike Williams.

All the scenarios that you mentioned are valid logic but that's not my point. My point is that in the last several years we are never in position for that blue chip player that is usually found in the top 6 or 7 picks except for that time we blew it on Mike Williams.

but this isn't really true at all. The top ten is just as full as hits and misses as 10-20 and is often safer since a lot of top 10 picks get blown on lousy QBs.

Haynesworth was picked #15

Freeney was picked #11

Patrick Willis was picked at #11,

Haloti Ngata at #12,

DeMarcus Ware at #11

Shawn Merriman at #12

Tommie Harris at #14

Vince Wilfork at #21

Terrell Suggs at #10

Ty Warren at #13

Troy Polamalu at #16

Ed Reed at #24

Marcus Stroud at #13

Julian Peterson at #16

those are just some of the examples over the past 7 or 8 drafts, not counting the most recent one

but this isn't really true at all. The top ten is just as full as hits and misses as 10-20 and is often safer since a lot of top 10 picks get blown on lousy QBs.

Haynesworth was picked #15

Freeney was picked #11

Patrick Willis was picked at #11,

Haloti Ngata at #12,

DeMarcus Ware at #11

Shawn Merriman at #12

Tommie Harris at #14

Vince Wilfork at #21

Terrell Suggs at #10

Ty Warren at #13

Troy Polamalu at #16

Ed Reed at #24

Marcus Stroud at #13

Julian Peterson at #16

those are just some of the examples over the past 7 or 8 drafts, not counting the most recent one

...and Adrian Peterson was taken at #7. Who would you rather have, him or Lynch? While what you state has merit it doesn't reflect on what their respective teams needed or the surrounding players around them at the time of selection. I get your point though but my question is this, who is available when we pick at the #11 slot that you think that can help us and be of the same or better talent level of the above mentioned? If there is someone like that then that's who we should take and not trade back at all. Me personally, I don't think that that type of player is there for us when we pick.

Trading down has no bearing on the success of the franchise. Nobody wants to be in the top 10 anymore due to rookie salaries. The Bills scouting depart is terrible if you ask me. They aren't finding any good players in the later rounds. The so called diamonds in the rough.

Trading down has no bearing on the success of the franchise. Nobody wants to be in the top 10 anymore due to rookie salaries. The Bills scouting depart is terrible if you ask me. They aren't finding any good players in the later rounds. The so called diamonds in the rough.

They aren't good at finding players in the earlier rounds either... :lol:

2003 - McGahee (1st), Kelsay (2nd) drafted by the Bills before Umenyioura

2005 - Roscoe Parrish (2nd, no pick in 1st) drafted before Justin Tuck

2006 - Whitner drafted before Ngata

Gee, it'd sure be nice if the Bills had Umenyioura, Tuck and Ngata on defense. It's enough to make you sick.

They aren't good at finding players in the earlier rounds either... :lol:

2003 - McGahee (1st), Kelsay (2nd) drafted by the Bills before Umenyioura

2005 - Roscoe Parrish (2nd, no pick in 1st) drafted before Justin Tuck

2006 - Whitner drafted before Ngata

Gee, it'd sure be nice if the Bills had Umenyioura, Tuck and Ngata on defense. It's enough to make you sick.

These are great examples of why a team should make their defensive lines a priority which we obviously didn't. In all fairness the players that you have mentioned were all drafted under the Donahoe watch and I would have to question how much or many of those scouts and figureheads are currently with the Bills and making the decisions and supplying the input.

These are great examples of why a team should make their defensive lines a priority which we obviously didn't. In all fairness the players that you have mentioned were all drafted under the Donahoe watch and I would have to question how much or many of those scouts and figureheads are currently with the Bills and making the decisions and supplying the input.

except for Whitner

It depends on what position we want to draft. If we go after a tight end in the first round, we should trade down...because seriously TE is one of the least important positions on the field, and hence teams don't tend to pick them with high picks. It is perfectly reasonable that Brandon Pettigrew will still be available later in the first round, and honestly I think we could trade down at least 10 spots and still get him. I don't believe this is what we should do however. The Bills finally actually have a good corp of skill players, and by securing fundamental positions on the o-line and defensive front we could even be an elite team next year. If we have a chance to get a top caliber rookie who can rush the pass and make an immediate impact as a starter at #11, then we need to take that. #11 is really the perfect position because you can potentially draft immediate impact players which much less value to risk ratio than a true top 5 pick. With our revamped receiving corp, TE is not our #1 priority by a long shot and so we should not waste our best chance of acquiring an immediate impact player on it. We either trade that pick for a good offensive guard or an established pass rusher or we pick up a DE in the draft. In my opinion.

except for Whitner

Whitner?? I'm not sure what your point is. Is it because we picked him with the 8th pick?? If so he's still on the team and while he might not be considered a bluechipper at this point in time it doesn't mean that he's not or won't be an important part to this team or defense.

I'd rather swing and miss than not be up at the plate at all. I'd like to see the Bills dictate than just be grateful to have a pick. The way that we have been drafting it hasn't put us over the top as of yet. If mediocrity is what we are going to shoot for than let's at least get compensated for it so when it's time to take the shot on a gamebreaker we will be able to do it because we have the resources to put ourselves in that position.