correct me if I'm wrong, but is this totally off?

We traded for Stroud.

They were happy to get rid of him (injuries, suspensions). We probably didn't need to give 3, 5s. It's interesting, the same year the Jags picked up Florence. Del Rio said "Drayton is entering the prime of his career. This is a move that will significantly strengthen our secondary." Despite offering up to 12 million in bonus incentives, Dra Flo didn't quite work out as JDR had hoped.

Now he's a Bill.

Yep. We play traditionally Cover 4 and then cover 3. We very rarely play the tampa 2 as many attribute, but we still utilize the LBs in the voids, which makes it look like from TV - "oh, it was between the lb and the safety, must be tampa 2."

Jabari Greer confirmed it for me when he was on Sirius a few weeks ago. Because they're so far off, there is only one play that they would allow on them short and that is the slant. Technically, the linebacker needs to haul tookis and get there to kill anyone over the middle, but because of Ellison's lack of size it was a little touch and go.

Another way you can look at it is the two picks Leodis got - one was where he had a low/high stretch (someone short and someone mid-range). If it was a cover two, he would have jumped the shorter route, instead he trailed the medium and when the ball was thrown, bam - int. On the pick six, because he's in a cover three, you can use man principles (which he was great at in college) and jump the route.

This may be the most accurate and insightful post i've ever read on this board...Kudo's my friend!

RuffMuff, your opinions and observations are always welcomed here. I swear it has nothing to do with your avatar.

Agreed. Not like that dude who has that disturbing Jauron/cheerleader avatar. *shudder*

Yep. We play traditionally Cover 4 and then cover 3. We very rarely play the tampa 2 as many attribute, but we still utilize the LBs in the voids, which makes it look like from TV - "oh, it was between the lb and the safety, must be tampa 2."

Jabari Greer confirmed it for me when he was on Sirius a few weeks ago. Because they're so far off, there is only one play that they would allow on them short and that is the slant. Technically, the linebacker needs to haul tookis and get there to kill anyone over the middle, but because of Ellison's lack of size it was a little touch and go.

Another way you can look at it is the two picks Leodis got - one was where he had a low/high stretch (someone short and someone mid-range). If it was a cover two, he would have jumped the shorter route, instead he trailed the medium and when the ball was thrown, bam - int. On the pick six, because he's in a cover three, you can use man principles (which he was great at in college) and jump the route.

That's pretty spot on. Florence played the nickel very well for SD too, he just couldn't seem to hold the starting spot in Jax. I think he'll work out fine if he even sees the field with the two young surging corners competing with him.

They were happy to get rid of him (injuries, suspensions). We probably didn't need to give 3, 5s. It's interesting, the same year the Jags picked up Florence. Del Rio said "Drayton is entering the prime of his career. This is a move that will significantly strengthen our secondary." Despite offering up to 12 million in bonus incentives, Dra Flo didn't quite work out as JDR had hoped.

Now he's a Bill.

A third and a fifth for half of one of the best DT tandems in the last decade with plenty of tread left on the tires isn't a bad gamble to take, I don't think. I'm glad we had Stroud in there to start rather than a John McCargo or a Tim Anderson (I know he was in Dallas last year, but we might have kept him otherwise).

Thanks - that's informative.

I don't think that the Bills FO has signed another team's FA that any winning team would have signed. All thier signings so far are a sign of the weak team they are and how tough it is to get very good players, with good attitudes and winning histories to come to Buffalo. We have signed the biggest Free Agency bust from 2008 to add to our Defensive Backfield, a career backup lineman to start for us and a extremely talented but obvious cancer that no other team in the entire NFL wanted, in fact some so called experts predicted he would never even get a contract at all, and the Bills signed him in a matter of a few days.

Stroud and TO were tossed away by their previous teams.

Stroud was a trade and TO was a FA. So saying that the Bills haven't signed a FA anyone else would want, proves you wrong if you're agreeing with billsfreak. TO may have been cast away but some other team would have signed him. Stroud was a former pro bowler and if he had been cut would have immediately had a ton of interest from over half the league. He didn't look bad last season. Also, Dockery was signed and a lot of teams wanted him. Triplett was wanted by a lot of teams.

Don't say that Triplett and Dockery didn't work out because the point is that, supposedly, the Bills sign players that no other teams have interest in.

Thanks for the kind words. I've been volunteer coaching here and there in my area in order to eventually coach professionally and I figured I'd pass along what I know as I learn it.

I do know with a cover 3, there are man principles once you pass the 15-17 yard threshold, because there isn't a route that is past that, so it's got to be a 9 (go) route.

Matt Bowen, former Bill does a great job explaining man coverage on this article:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...at-man-defense/

In it, he mentions another max length for the routes, but with the advent of Martz principles (Arizona) there have been more 15-17 yard digs in the pass game.

Jack Del Rio's mistake in "getting rid" of Stroud, especially for just a 3rd and 5th rounder, was the Bills' gain. I'm sure the same ones who are praying that TO crashes and burns were the same ones expecting the same of Stroud last year. Which tells you a lot about them. And Del Rio miscalculated with hiring Gregg Williams to be his DC, as well as paying Florence all that money to be a starter. And again their loss is the Bills' gain as Florence will be the nickel back, at best.

Also, by having a guy like Florence who can be the nickel or dime back, we truly can field five defensive backs that we could trust and our weakest corner (let's say Corner for this) is still as good as or better than their fifth best wide receiver.

And with a dimeback instead of Whitner in, he can play a true free safety role instead of being that extra db all the time. They can still use him occassionally as a corner with someone like a McGee as FS...or someone else...keep people guessing!