Let's get rid of every good player we have.

Dibs

So Losman improved, and then crashed and burned. So...now we should hope that young quarterbacks DON'T improve?

Is that your point here?

I'm sorry, I forgot how everybody hated that guy. I think thats the first time I heard anybody say that he showed improvement. We still have the same win and lost record the last two years as we did in 2006 except its not the QB fault anymore. I can't believe that people would rather have Edwards than Cutler.And I think if Peters comes to camp we will see the best left tacle in football.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing with Parrish is, kick/punt return is an area of strength for the Bills. McKelvin and Parrish both have pro bowl ability, and McGee is also a former Pro Bowl returner, although I feel his days as a returner are done. Freddy Jackson provides enough depth as a backup kick returner that if we could trade Parrish for a starting player, it would be worth it.

Now, I have a hard time seeing another team trading for a 4 million dollar punt returner, unless they fall in love with his speed. Personally, I STILL ( call me stubborn) feel like he isn't utilized enough in this offense.

Some of those reverses that go to Josh Reed should go to Parrish. Why not a bubble screen here and there to see if he can make the first guy miss. He may not be the most polished receiver in the NFL, but he is a guy the defense has to account for on every play he is out there, which is something you can't say for any other receiver on this team besides Evans and Owens.

I'm sorry, I forgot how everybody hated that guy. I think thats the first time I heard anybody say that he showed improvement. We still have the same win and lost record the last two years as we did in 2006 except its not the QB fault anymore. I can't believe that people would rather have Edwards than Cutler.And I think if Peters comes to camp we will see the best left tacle in football.

Losman had a decent season in 2006. Many major statistics put him just outside the top 10 in the league. Nineteen touchdowns to 14 interceptions. He was not spectacular, but he got better as the season went along, and gave a reasonable fan plenty to be hopeful about.

The fact that he crashed and burned shouldn't lead a reasonable fan to deny Edwards the chance to take time to improve, and evolve into the quarterback we need. He has certainly improved, as Dibs' numbers point out. His play during the 5-1 run to start the season was remarkable. Unfortunately, it did not last, and his play after returning from injury was about as pathetic as it gets for an NFL quarterback.

But the glimpse he gave us is certainly reason for hope. We'll just have to see if his struggles were a sign of things to come, or just a speed bump. But the fact that Losman took some steps and then fell on his face should not stop us from thinking Edwards may be able to get there.

I have mixed feelings on Lynch. He met with Goodell and that's never a good sign. He'll probably end up with some kind of suspension. His next infraction will cost him more, maybe a full year suspension. What good is he if he's out for four games this year and a possible one year suspension in his future? Should the Bills try to get something for him while his value is high? I'd keep him this year and then trade him next offseason. JMO

I see that there are some reasonable arguments for getting rid of some of our players......the thing is though that if the player is good(and in ML he is probowl good).....replacing him could take years and many resources. Some believe FJ could take his place....that is yet to be seen. It obviously comes down to how much of a risk does his out of game antics effect his long term reliability compared to the risks of being unable to replace him to a similar talent level.

With the signing of TO there is an extra spot on the receiving corp that will likely not stay and someone will be cut. The Bills have FJ and LM who can return punts. If the Bills could get a third rounder or better for RP then it would make sense. JMO

The roster spot is really quite irrelevant as realistically any given player takes up the 53rd spot. The 53rd spot is usually taken up by STers or 3rd/4th string players.

I refer back to my thoughts that if a player is good enough for an opposing team to not only trade valuable picks for.....but sign them to a new contract.....then they are obviously valuable to the Bills. It's not like we have cap issues, so paying a little bit extra for a PRer is no problem. In terms of other PRers on the roster.....it comes back to how valuable one believes the position is. RP has the best PR average of all time. On average he is not only shortening the field by at least 5 yards per PR(compared to an average PRer).....but is regularly setting the offense up in good field position(due to long returns). If FJ or LM can be a consistently good PRer and the drop off isn't so bad then.....again I can see a good argument. But why take the chance on a high dropoff when all you get in return is at best a 3rd round pick(far more miss than hit)?

McGee is very valuable to this team and I hope to hades that they are working on an extension but if they plan to let him runaway next year then the question is should they trade him while he has value? ......

Again....there is a decent argument for doing this. It happens regularly around the league.....though it is far more common for teams to keep the player for the extra year. Had we re-signed Greer I would have said McGee is very tradeable this off season. At the moment however he is our best CB and to trade him for a piddly draft pick is not IMO wise.

Overall it makes little sense to continually get rid of good players(for whatever reason) without viable replacements for them......particularly when there are only a handful of them on the team. An overall look really needs to be used when looking at the concept. Once you start saying....."Hmmm, we could get more value by trading him now rather than the uncertainties of later."......you can apply the same philosophy to many of the players of value. Where does that stop? It's a good way to go about a total re-build if you have an old roster.....but with a young roster is a virtual guarantee of treading water at best.

(All IMO of course :devil:)

I refer back to my thoughts that if a player is good enough for an opposing team to not only trade valuable picks for.....but sign them to a new contract.....then they are obviously valuable to the Bills. It's not like we have cap issues, so paying a little bit extra for a PRer is no problem. In terms of other PRers on the roster.....it comes back to how valuable one believes the position is. RP has the best PR average of all time. On average he is not only shortening the field by at least 5 yards per PR(compared to an average PRer).....but is regularly setting the offense up in good field position(due to long returns). If FJ or LM can be a consistently good PRer and the drop off isn't so bad then.....again I can see a good argument. But why take the chance on a high dropoff when all you get in return is at best a 3rd round pick(far more miss than hit)?

Also, don't forget the alternatives to RP are "every down" players for the most part (McGee and McKelvin...this coming season). I'm not the biggest fan of having a starting CB as the main return man (especially punt returns), if it can be avoided.

One other point, while I agree with the statement, " if a player is good enough for an opposing team to not only trade valuable picks for.....but sign them to a new contract.....then they are obviously valuable to the Bills", I think a player can be far more valuable to one team, than he an be to another. Greer is valuable to the Bills, but as they are CB rich, he probably isn't as valuable to the Bills as he is to other teams in dire need of CBs.

I'm sorry, I forgot how everybody hated that guy. I think thats the first time I heard anybody say that he showed improvement.

At the time, there were plenty Bills fans excited over his improvement.

We still have the same win and lost record the last two years as we did in 2006 except its not the QB fault anymore.

Not many are saying that the QB play has been good enough from TE......in fact similar things are being said about him as were said about JPL at a similar stage of his career.....and that is he needs time to develop before we know if he will/won't become a good QB.

I can't believe that people would rather have Edwards than Cutler....

I'm personally not sold on Cutler.....and wonder why, if he is soooo good, that the Broncos were even considering getting rid of him. To spend draft picks & commit to Cutler via a massive contract is not what I want to see the Bills do. Knowing the Bills luck, if we made a trade, Cutler would end up looking like JPL & TE would improve over in Denver and end up looking like a Manning.

......I think a player can be far more valuable to one team, than he an be to another. Greer is valuable to the Bills, but as they are CB rich, he probably isn't as valuable to the Bills as he is to other teams in dire need of CBs.

Very true......but apart from the CB position, is there any positions on the Bills that we could afford to lose even a decent starter? Hehe....and now that Greer is gone the CB position isn't rich enough to let a starter go.

Very true......but apart from the CB position, is there any positions on the Bills that we could afford to lose even a decent starter? Hehe....and now that Greer is gone the CB position isn't rich enough to let a starter go.

But, I should have also mentioned, I can see why Fred Taylor would be more valuable to NE* than he would the Bills. (I can also see why he would prefer to go to the Pats* over the Billls.)

The Bills can't afford to lose a decent starter anywhere, on this roster, I agree. Of course, if by nothing other than injuries, they most certainly will. Of course, they have already lost Dockery...maybe overpaid, but they really need to replace him, IMO. And, they are on the brink of losing Peters, a big mistake, IMO. Royal may have been addition by subtraction. Still, I'll feel better if they sign someone like Scheffler.

You would be very smart to stay away from an argument with Dibs. When it comes to football he is one of the smartest posters here and uses stats to back up his points......

Thanks for that Steely. :devil:

I don't know if you are aware but I really like Texas Hold'em Poker.

My #3 rule in poker is "You can't bluff a donkey."

Unfortunately I occasionally break that rule.....which leads to frustrating results. :lol:

Funnily enough my #3 rule in life is "You can't argue with a moron."

Unfortunately I occasionally break that rule as well.....which leads to frustrating results. :lol:

But, I should have also mentioned, I can see why Fred Taylor would be more valuable to NE* than he would the Bills. (I can also see why he would prefer to go to the Pats* over the Billls.)

The Bills can't afford to lose a decent starter anywhere, on this roster, I agree. Of course, if by nothing other than injuries, they most certainly will. Of course, they have already lost Dockery...maybe overpaid, but they really need to replace him, IMO. And, they are on the brink of losing Peters, a big mistake, IMO. Royal may have been addition by subtraction. Still, I'll feel better if they sign someone like Scheffler.

The only way I'd trade Peters is for two first rounders and two third rounders and no team would give the Bills that for him. People who rip on him are really funny for discounting his second Pro-bowl invitation. If he didn't deserve it then he barely didn't deserve it. I say pay the man what he wants. Pro-bowl LT are hard to come by. IIRC, Will Wolford is the last one the Bills had.

Thanks for that Steely. :devil:

I don't know if you are aware but I really like Texas Hold'em Poker.

My #3 rule in poker is "You can't bluff a donkey."

Unfortunately I occasionally break that rule.....which leads to frustrating results. :lol:

Funnily enough my #3 rule in life is "You can't argue with a moron."

Unfortunately I occasionally break that rule as well.....which leads to frustrating results. :lol:

At the time, there were plenty Bills fans excited over his improvement.

Not many are saying that the QB play has been good enough from TE......in fact similar things are being said about him as were said about JPL at a similar stage of his career.....and that is he needs time to develop before we know if he will/won't become a good QB.

How long do we give him to develope? He really looked bad second half of the year.Look like he had no confendence in himself. Whats going to happen the first time Owens gets in his face? That will happen as soon as Edwards starts checking down and we are kicking FG instead of TDs.

I'm personally not sold on Cutler.....and wonder why, if he is soooo good, that the Broncos were even considering getting rid of him. To spend draft picks & commit to Cutler via a massive contract is not what I want to see the Bills do. Knowing the Bills luck, if we made a trade, Cutler would end up looking like JPL & TE would improve over in Denver and end up looking like a Manning.

The coach is the only one that wants to trade hime. The owner and if you watch the nfl network , the fans want him there. Even if you liston to the reporters on nfl network, they think Denver would be nuts to trade him and also say that they have to trade him know because Cutler wouldn't play for that coach.They blame the coach. They think he is one of the top ten QBs in the nfl.

I truly value your insightful thoughts and feel terrible that you seem antagonistic towards me. You have quickly become a doyen of TSW and I know all of our fellow posters will be cut to the quick that I have upset you. Please.....enlighten me where I am wrong. I don't really have any idea what point you were making.....so therefore have no idea where I may have said something which was incorrect(in relation to your points).

***BTW, it wasn't me who said you were just arguing for the sake of arguing......but I'm not arguing with the poster who said it.***

Like the other poster said, have you ever made a post about football or the Bills, or is your specialty criticizing other posts/posters on this board?

Look if everyplayer you mentioned on that list was good we wouldnt be 7-9 for three straight years now would we?

Peters is a solid player is he worth over 10 mil a year for one player? Some say yes some say no. I personally think everytime hes unhappy hes going to renegoitiate his salary though is play might not warrant it. The fact was if he wanted a big ontrat he should have ome to camp and been a team player. He would make our team better by subtracting him and getting more picks to fill more spots.

Parrish Prolofic return guy not much of a reciever the question with him is he worth 4 mil a year just to return punts. I cannot answer that. Im not opposed to trading him nor am i opposed to keeping him. Either way we would have a solid player or player

Schoebel is on the down slide and making too much money we could easily upgrade here.

MCgee is a proflic retruner and an average at best cornerback. How many return men do we need. I would rather have a true shutdown corner or a corner that can make big plays he is most certainly gone next year so we should get value for him now!

Edwards Yet to prove he can stay healthy, play in cold weather, play in winter conditions, has also shown he cannot shake things mentally. After throwing three ints in one qtr he was a mess and never got better from that point. He can be upgraded and if hes not I am willing to give him the yer since he has noone that can take the job form him over the course of the year unfotunatley. Again like i have said with all our past qbs since Kelly I would like him to prove me wrong so i Know we have a Qb. But like some on this board I would rather have cutler than edwards. At least cutler can throw TDS.

NOw for the rest of the list there is no way i would get rid of Lynch the guy is a truck give him holes and youl see not only that hes a bruiser which is a great combo for Jackson a finesse runner. would never break up that tandem.

Poz is good maybe not the best fit at ML but it was his first full year at ML hes an OLB by nature.

Whitner isnt as bad as everyone makes him out to be either.

so out of the 8 players i have it like this

3-Definate keepers

3- have potential trade value we can cashin on now

1- is detrimental to our team and needs to be traded NOW!

1- is nothing but an average Qb who cannot stay healty and has alot to prove this year or hes out the door with DJ.

AMEN

This is clearly the best post on this topic. Everybody isnt saying we should get rid of everybody, however there are issues with all of them and play can be improved for some of these guys.