Peppers to the Pats

pBills

There are now reports that Julius Peppers may be going to the Pats for a 2nd Round pick (#34) overall. Is it just me or does anyone else find this to be absolutely ridiculous. Wouldn't Peppers draw a 1st Round pick?

I may be alone on this, but I would not mind the Bills trading their 1st for him.

There are now reports that Julius Peppers may be going to the Pats for a 2nd Round pick (#34) overall. Is it just me or does anyone else find this to be absolutely ridiculous. Wouldn't Peppers draw a 1st Round pick?

I may be alone on this, but I would not mind the Bills trading their 1st for him.

It does seem low, on the surface, but when you think about the caliber of players who have been available in recent years, and how "little" they have been dealt for in terms of draft picks, it appears that "smart" teams, like the Pats, would prefer to accumulate 2nd and 3rd round picks, more than first round picks, because the risk/reward of a bad pick is much less damaging to a teams' salary cap. Carolina may be willing to take a low 2nd, over a high 1st, just to save money. I hope to god the Pats don't get Peppers (I would trade the #11 for him, no question), but they seem to know what they are doing... if they are going to pay a lot of money for players, they want established vets, not draft picks. It appears Carolina is getting hip to the same thing.

I would happily give up the 11th pick in the draft for Peppers. The Panthers gotta know they can get a better deal than what the Pats offered.... Although Peppers may want to only go to a specific few teams...

I would happily give up the 11th pick in the draft for Peppers. The Panthers gotta know they can get a better deal than what the Pats offered.... Although Peppers may want to only go to a specific few teams...

I think somebody posted something about Peppers, having a list of four teams he would play for. He also wants to play in a 3-4 and we play a Timid 2.

for a second round pick, how do we not even approach Carolina. We have a huge problem at DE, we continuosly talk about fixing it in the draft....2nd effing round pick... c'mon

I agree. I would much rather have a proven DE at this point than hoping a draft pick plays out.

for a second round pick, how do we not even approach Carolina. We have a huge problem at DE, we continuosly talk about fixing it in the draft....2nd effing round pick... c'mon

You assume that's all there is to it. Peppers may want to play for New England, not Buffalo. You forget T.O. came here when no one else wanted him. Carolina may trade him to us and Peppers could refuse to report. Please give the Bills front office a crumb of credit. If the knuckleheads in this board can think of it, do you think that maybe they did too?

PTR

You assume that's all there is to it. Peppers may want to play for New England, not Buffalo. You forget T.O. came here when no one else wanted him. Carolina may trade him to us and Peppers could refuse to report. Please give the Bills front office a crumb of credit. If the knuckleheads in this board can think of it, do you think that maybe they did too?

PTR

True. However, I am sure that the Panthers would much rather have something more than the #34 pick. If they can get more, why not.

Let's hope that the front office is attempting to do more to move this team to the top of the AFC East.

True. However, I am sure that the Panthers would much rather have something more than the #34 pick. If they can get more, why not.

Let's hope that the front office is attempting to do more to move this team to the top of the AFC East.

I have a better idea. Let's take Peppers family hostage and force him to play for the Bills. That's about the only way. :lol:

PTR

Why not? Because they don't have a choice.

The Panthers are not operating in a position of strength where Peppers is concerned. They currently are tight against the cap and are unable to even retain their own free agents nevermind adding a desired one from outside.

They are counting almost $17M for a player who other teams know doesn't want to be there.

Further, Peppers has stated that he will only sign a long term deal with a select few teams (NE, Dallas, Phily, Washington) putting the pressure on the Panthers to either

1) Keep Peppers at the $17M cap hit

2) Do a deal with said 4 teams

3) Find a team that will trade for Peppers' tagged contract and not only be able to absorb all of Peppers $17M salary into their cap this year but also relinquish a pick higher than #34 in order to do so!

The 1) is an option but it will severely limit the Panthers as they try and field a football team this year.

The 2) is an option but neither Dallas nor Washington have any cap room for Peppers leaving only NE and Philly.

The 3) is an option but how many teams are going to give up a pick better than #34 for the right to have to spend $17M for a single player and who doesn't even want to play there?

Why not? Because they don't have a choice.

The Panthers are not operating in a position of strength where Peppers is concerned. They currently are tight against the cap and are unable to even retain their own free agents nevermind adding a desired one from outside.

They are counting almost $17M for a player who other teams know doesn't want to be there.

Further, Peppers has stated that he will only sign a long term deal with a select few teams (NE, Dallas, Phily, Washington) putting the pressure on the Panthers to either

1) Keep Peppers at the $17M cap hit

2) Do a deal with said 4 teams

3) Find a team that will trade for Peppers' tagged contract and not only be able to absorb all of Peppers $17M salary into their cap this year but also relinquish a pick higher than #34 in order to do so!

The 1) is an option but it will severely limit the Panthers as they try and field a football team this year.

The 2) is an option but neither Dallas nor Washington have any cap room for Peppers leaving only NE and Philly.

The 3) is an option but how many teams are going to give up a pick better than #34 for the right to have to spend $17M for a single player and who doesn't even want to play there?

Maybe they are not operating with a ton of cap room however they will do what is best for them, not for Peppers. The NFL is business, teams need and want to get better. If they can get a higher draft for him, they will make sure it's done.

Teams that would pay for that player are teams like Buffalo, teams that are in desperate need for a DE. I am sure that the Bills could figure out how to get Peppers his money without killing us.

SCHEFTER SAYS PEPPERS-TO-PATS WON’T HAPPEN

Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2009, 12:08 p.m.

In his weekly appearance on WEEI in Boston, Adam Schefter of NFL Network said that the Panthers won’t be trading defensive end Julius Peppers to the Patriots.

“That trade is not gonna happen,” Schefter told Dennis & Callahan of WEEI.

Schefter cited the financial investment that Peppers would require and the looming class of Patriots free agents (including Vince Wilfork and Richard Seymour), who will be on the market in 2010.

Schefter’s opinion conflicts sharply with a Monday report from Vic Carucci of NFL.com, who seemed to suggest that a trade would happen at some point between the upcoming league meetings (which open on March 22) and the 2009 draft.

“I’m telling you, they’re not gonna do it,” Schefter said later in the segment. “. . . . I don’t believe for a second there’s any truth to it.”

Schefter then said he’s 99.9 percent sure that Peppers won’t be playing for the Patriots next year.

But Schefter then acknowledged that that 0.1 percent could come to fruition, and that he could be exposed as a “complete fraud.”

Meanwhile, Schefter said that he regards the chances of the Pats signing defensive end Jason Taylor as “realistic.”

Maybe they are not operating with a ton of cap room however they will do what is best for them, not for Peppers. The NFL is business, teams need and want to get better. If they can get a higher draft for him, they will make sure it's done.

Teams that would pay for that player are teams like Buffalo, teams that are in desperate need for a DE. I am sure that the Bills could figure out how to get Peppers his money without killing us.

Sure, Buffalo (or another team) could come to terms on trade value with Carolina and agree to assume Peppers' $17M cap charge but why would Peppers agree to uproot his family and show up to play for team he doesn't want to play for when he can make the same $17M staying in Carolina playing for a team he doesn't want to play for as it is?