Cutler formally asks to be traded

Take the blinders off people. Cutler had 2 #1 receivers, a top flight TE, one of the best Olines in football, and an offensive coach. Yet he managed a 7.35 YPA (.13 better than trent) an 86 QB rating (.6 better than Trent). Put him on the Bills, and there is no way he does anywhere close to as well.

Tony Scheffler had 40 catches and 3 touchdowns last year. Top flight has obviously taken on a whole new meaning.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the crapper...

why do you dislike Edwards so much? I mean he has had better #'s than most qb's in their first season, he has won more games then lost when he is at the helm. It's not like he has had more wins and decent #'s for a team that is good. It's not like our great D has carried us to victories. Or that we have had tremendous talent around him. As a matter of fact, it's been the opposite

Where is all this disdain over Edwards coming from?

why do you dislike Edwards so much? I mean he has had better #'s than most qb's in their first season, he has won more games then lost when he is at the helm.

Hot pocket mentality.

PTR

Tony Scheffler had 40 catches and 3 touchdowns last year. Top flight has obviously taken on a whole new meaning.

15.9 yards per catch. If he had played all 16 games last year he would have had 50 catches and 800 yards. That puts him in elite company.

No. YOU say his resume is solid. I say he's done jack squat. All I see is people who are looking for the next shiny object. We can argue about Edwards potential, but I've seen enough of Jake Cutler to know that he's more hype than anything. Never mind his childish antics.

PTR

Let's meet in the middle and say your retarded. ;)

You know who else threw for 4000 yds.

http://www.detroitlions.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=366&season=9

and it was back to back.

let's not confuse yards thrown with a winning quality qb.

His talents are hard to ignore, and he is a classic gunslinger.

But you have to admit. He has been a boneheaded qb when it counted, and he hasn't had the moxy to pull through for his team when they needed him the most.

Remember,

The Broncos had the AFC West won. The Chargers were basically out of it with three games left to go. All they had to do was win one game.

QB rating of 74, 73, 74 2 tds and 4 int's, in his last three games. The pressure was on, they had the big lead, they pretty much had it wrapped up, and he had 3 of his more mediocre games of the year, when it counted most.

That is a fact. It is something to consider.

I am bringing up a fair point aren't I?

Edwards is a more cerebral qb, don't you think it would be wise for us to evaluate him, now that he has more talent, after his second season?

All fine points, particularly the final 4-game stretch of the year. But isn't that kind of a stuff expected out of a young quarterback? Also, Jon Kitna was into his 30's when he had his pair of 4000+ yard years, Cutler is 25 and has only two full years as a starter. I personally think Cutler is going to be a very good quarterback in this league, and is already on his way. I still see potential in Edwards as well though, and I would be fine with more evaluation time. I just think the particular argument that is going on right now against Cutler is an absurd one.

Let's meet in the middle and say your retarded. ;)

You've been stomped. Cutler is an average QB at this point in his career, and he just puts up big numbers because of his large amount of attempts. He's got potential, though.

why do you dislike Edwards so much? I mean he has had better #'s than most qb's in their first season, he has won more games then lost when he is at the helm. It's not like he has had more wins and decent #'s for a team that is good. It's not like our great D has carried us to victories. Or that we have had tremendous talent around him. As a matter of fact, it's been the opposite

I don't have any disdain for Edwards. In fact I hope he becomes a great Qb. Why do a handful of Buffalo homers have to make excuses as to why he's not produced as well as another guy. It's not the end of the world if someone's better than your beloved Trent.

That comment suggests you think Jake Cutler is a franchise QB? Based on what? How many rings does he have? How many playoff wins? How about winning one game out of 4 last season to cinch a playoff berth? The qualifications to become a franchise QB seem pretty flimsy.

PTR

Jake Cutler? Are you talking about Jay Cutler?

If so, Jay Cutler is a franchise QB and has already made a Pro Bowl. Trent Edwards on the other hand threw 6 interceptions on Monday night last year and at times has looked like a complete mutt.

He was impressive early on last year against some bummy teams. Until he proves he's our franchise QB - he's not. Im definately rooting for Edwards. I like him, and I think he has flashes of brilliance. Sentiment aside, I would make a move on Cutler.

Jake Cutler? Are you talking about Jay Cutler?

If so, Jay Cutler is a franchise QB and has already made a Pro Bowl. Trent Edwards on the other hand through 6 interceptions on Monday night last year and at times has looked like a complete mutt.

He was impressive early on last year against some bummy teams. Until he proves he's our franchise QB - he's not. Im definately rooting for Edwards. I like him, and I think he has flashes of brilliance. Sentiment aside, I would make a move on Cutler.

Cutler is average.

All fine points, particularly the final 4-game stretch of the year. But isn't that kind of a stuff expected out of a young quarterback? Also, Jon Kitna was into his 30's when he had his pair of 4000+ yard years, Cutler is 25 and has only two full years as a starter. I personally think Cutler is going to be a very good quarterback in this league, and is already on his way. I still see potential in Edwards as well though, and I would be fine with more evaluation time. I just think the particular argument that is going on right now against Cutler is an absurd one.

He did rally the Broncos to a late drive comeback opening day in 2007.

I think he is a good qb. If we had him, would I be upset? No.

All I am saying is, that I wouldn't consider trading Edwards for Cutler, when Cutler has'nt shown that he can win in important games. Also, if you look at qb rating, Edwards was just as good as Cutlers QB rating, with lots less talent, and a rookie OC and a terrible game manager in Jauron. Not to mention that Edwards has a winning record and Cutler doesn't. I think it is also fair to say, that Cutler's opponents in his division are a lot worse than ours. Do you think Cutlers #'s would be better in the AFC West or East? I think we know the answer to that.

I for one am excited to see Edwards with the upgraded talent we have in his second full year.

I don't have any disdain for Edwards. In fact I hope he becomes a great Qb. Why do a handful of Buffalo homers have to make excuses as to why he's not produced as well as another guy. It's not the end of the world if someone's better than your beloved Trent.

I just think it's logical to evaluate him after his second full season, considering he showed promise in his first.

The good thing is that the Bills are committed to Edwards, so all this talk is for not.

Let's see how he does this year, then I think it would be more fair to evaluate him after his second full season.

I think he is a good qb. If we had him, would I be upset? No.

All I am saying is, that I wouldn't consider trading Edwards for Cutler, when Cutler has'nt shown that he can win in important games. Also, if you look at qb rating, Edwards was just as good as Cutlers QB rating, with lots less talent, and a rookie OC and a terrible game manager in Jauron. Not to mention that Edwards has a winning record and Cutler doesn't. I think it is also fair to say, that Cutler's opponents in his division are a lot worse than ours. Do you think Cutlers #'s would be better in the AFC West or East? I think we know the answer to that.

I for one am excited to see Edwards with the upgraded talent we have in his second full year.

Finally a fair argument. I can see your points and respect them. I disagree with them but that's ok, you didn't try telling me Cutler is average.

What's your argument for Cutler not being average? I'll sum my argument that he is up.

Elite talent around him

YPA and QB rating aren't great

Yardage and TD total are so high because of his gigantic amount of pass attempts.

Not saying he can't be great, but he is just OK at this point.

What's your argument for Cutler not being average? I'll sum my argument that he is up.

Elite talent around him

Yardage and TD total are so high because of his gigantic amount of pass attempts.

Fair enough, my friend. We aren't so far off in opinion. Good debate! Screw Cutler and the Broncos for all I care.

;)

Elite talent around him

Okay, I'll sum mine up:

-He made the Pro-Bowl at age 25 after just his second full season.

-He threw for 4800+ Yards and 25 Touchdowns.

-He was only sacked 11 times in OVER 600 ATTEMPTS, clearing showing his quick-release and ability to read defenses quickly.

-He has one of the best arms, if not the best, in the NFL, and that can't be denied. That would prove pretty valuable with two of the best deep threats in the league on your team like Evans and Owens are.

-He also has a career 62.5 completion percentage, which by no means makes him an inaccurate passer.

-He does not miss games due to injury. Didn't in college and has continued to do so in this league.

-He is a leader and fierce competitor on the field. (His maturity off of it can be questioned I suppose, due to the events in the past few weeks with Denver and McDaniels.)

I like Trent Edwards and would like to see more of him in this offense, but do I think Cutler is a better quarterback RIGHT NOW and will have a better career in this league? Absolutely.