How close are the Bills to Super bowl caliber?

Justice

Grade each unit  

81 members have voted

1. 1. secondary

• Super Bowl ready
    • sufficient
    • not even close
    • one player away
  2. 2. Special teams

• SB ready
    • sufficient
    • not even close
    • one player away
  3. 3. Coaching/Front office

• SB ready
    • sufficient
    • not even close
    • one or two people away

I would like the person who voted our coaching staff sufficient, and the guy who voted our secondary not even close to step up (hopefully it's not the same person).

Seriously...I really would like to hear some logic behind either of those arguments.

Like most, I voted "not even close" on the coaching staff.

After further review, I think the answer is "one or two" away, if one of them is the HC...though, with a new HC, the coaching staff changes pretty dramatically. The question, as written, is a little tough to answer..but there you have it.

I would like the person who voted our coaching staff sufficient, and the guy who voted our secondary not even close to step up (hopefully it's not the same person).

Seriously...I really would like to hear some logic behind either of those arguments.

OK. To be SB caliber IMO, the Bills secondary needs to be much stronger in the middle. Whitner/Wilson are average and Scott/Simpson are below average. That's not going to win you a SB. They would be "one player away" if they had one elite player and all they needed was one solid starter that they could realistically pick up in FA or the draft. But what they really need is someone like Ed Reed or Bob Sanders and that's not going to happen. I don't see anyone like that on the roster or in the draft.

OK. To be SB caliber IMO, the Bills secondary needs to be much stronger in the middle. Whitner/Wilson are average and Scott/Simpson are below average. That's not going to win you a SB. They would be "one player away" if they had one elite player and all they needed was one solid starter that they could realistically pick up in FA or the draft. But what they really need is someone like Ed Reed or Bob Sanders and that's not going to happen. I don't see anyone like that on the roster or in the draft.

What are you talking about? I never said that the secondary was SB caliber, I just wanted to know who thought they weren't close.

McGee, McKelvin + serious depth, and Whitner alone definitely means you have a satisfactory or beyond secondary. I just wanted to know what dunce thought they were "not even close" that's all.

What are you talking about? I never said that the secondary was SB caliber, I just wanted to know who thought they weren't close.

McGee, McKelvin + serious depth, and Whitner alone definitely means you have a satisfactory or beyond secondary. I just wanted to know what dunce thought they were "not even close" that's all.

I just told you. There are not even close because their safeties are not even close to super bowl caliber. The Bills do not have a top safety in the secondary. That is required if you are going to play this cover 2 defense effectively, IMO. There is not one on the horizon. Therefore, they are not even close. Read the post.

I just told you. There are not even close because their safeties are not even close to super bowl caliber. The Bills do not have a top safety in the secondary. That is required if you are going to play this cover 2 defense effectively, IMO. There is not one on the horizon. Therefore, they are not even close. Read the post.

What are you talking about? Their safeties are not even close to SB caliber? We have one of the top CBing unit in the AFC, and Whitner is well above average...I don't think you grasp the term "not even close"

After further review, I think the answer is "one or two" away, if one of them is the HC...though, with a new HC, the coaching staff changes pretty dramatically. The question, as written, is a little tough to answer..but there you have it.

Could probably say that about some Presidents and their Veeps, too.....not that I'm going to mention any names whatsoever.......

We've beaten the DJ thing to three different deaths, but I'm not sold at all on Schonert at this point. The offense looked bewildered and out of synch all too often in the 2nd half of the season and we really don't know where the blame for that belongs. My hunch is that DJ is probably more of a hands off guy than a micro manager. He may have cut Schonert considerable slack because it was his first year as OC. That won't wash in year two. Owens will have a meltdown by game 2 if the offense looks as lost as they did at the end of last season. I don't think the FO wants that kind of spectacle to be blasted all over the media, especially since it could backfire and chase more Bills fans away than the Owens signing has brought back in.

Therefore and thusly, I think that the spotlight the Bils have aimed at them by signing TO is going to put Schonert on the veritable hot seat to have the offense not only ready to play, but to take advantage of TO starting from game 1, play 1. If Schonert has the same problems as last year, Jauron is not going to have many options to fix it. He's a DC by trade and I'm not aware of anybody in the wings waiting or with the capabiity to take over if Schonert flops.

Jauron knows he's a goner with anything less than a winning season. But it's really Schonert's offense that decides his fate.