Jonas Jennings

nmas3

Per KFFL:

Matt Maiocco, of The Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports San Francisco 49ers OT Jonas Jennings won't attend their upcoming minicamp. The 49ers have told him he no longer fits into their future. When he is released, he will save the team $3.1 million in salary cap room.

He's been out more than he's played since the 49ers signed him. Pass

Which is perfect criteria for the Bills to sign him. If he hadn't already been with the team, you can bet there would be plenty here who would consider signing Jennings a "solid" move...

He has pretty much been a bust every since the 49ers gave him that big contract a few years ago. It would make just as much sense to bring Ruben Brown back as a backup, he hasn't officially retired yet I don't believe.

He officially retired a few months ago.

And I suppose we're supposed to take back Clements when the Niners realize they got hoodwinked on that ex-Bill and release him too.

The 49'ers may have over-payed for Clements, but I think they are pretty happy with his play.

Jonas Jennings was a very good player on the rare occasions on which he took the field. For the sake of comparison, he was clearly superior to Walker at RT, and was a good LT to boot.

He will probably not be a star in this league, but neither will most 7th round picks. If I was the GM and thought that there was a chance of him being healthy, I would offer SF a 7th round pick and see what they say. SF will be stuck with his cap hit for the bonus, and if he sucks or is "injured" again, they could cut him and it wouldn't cost a dime.

Just a passing thought.

Jonas Jennings was a very good player on the rare occasions on which he took the field. For the sake of comparison, he was clearly superior to Walker at RT, and was a good LT to boot.

He will probably not be a star in this league, but neither will most 7th round picks. If I was the GM and thought that there was a chance of him being healthy, I would offer SF a 7th round pick and see what they say. SF will be stuck with his cap hit for the bonus, and if he sucks or is "injured" again, they could cut him and it wouldn't cost a dime.

Just a passing thought.

There's no way anyone would trade for him, because his salary is way too high for his production and you'd have to pick up the contract in a trade. He'll get cut and will land somewhere for a few mil.

There's no way anyone would trade for him, because his salary is way too high for his production and you'd have to pick up the contract in a trade. He'll get cut and will land somewhere for a few mil.

That sounds about right Gerry. I was glad to see him go because he was always hurt, but he sure could play. As I recall, he was a very smart guy, and was planning for his future even as a very young player. Who knows, he might ot even like football.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder what they're waiting for to release him. It doesn't seem like the kind of situation that would solicit trade offers.

Some much needed facts.

The Niners released Jennings within hours after they reached agreement with Marvel Smith.

In 4 seasons with San Francisco Jennings played in 23 out of a possible 64 games. He missed 31 games to injury.

He has not officially retired although some would argue that he has already unofficially retired.

He will be 32 years old this November.

He has made over $20 million dollars in the NFL.