BJ Raji

For our "Scheme" most say that Peria Jerry is the best match; that he would be the better UT and that Raji would be the better NT. Time will tell. Pretty sure we won't see Raji there at our pick, and we won't settle for Jerry at #11.

Astrobot- I love your draft. Do you think that is realistic?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

seems a bit overweight to me. He would need to slim down a bit to play in our scheme.

Weight doesn't matter in our scheme. Quickness does. Granted, very few guys at Raji's weight have superior quickness, but Raji is one of those exceptions to the rule, strong as a bull, big, and yet very quick. Look at his sack numbers last year and you will realize that very few DTs of any size are even close.

...you really got to stop with this incomplete and inaccurate information you post. Yesterday you said that Peters wasn't an All Pro and you were adamant about it, now this.

I posted an incorrect statement about Peters and I came back afterwards and said I was wrong. What do you want a written apology? Don't take it personally. It's a f***ing message board. :thumbsup:

This is not a good point.

Every team in the AFC West had to play, Oakland #29 and K.C #24 twice a year.

Every team in the NFC West had to play San Fran #23 , St. Louis #27 and Seattle # 28 twice a year

Every team in the NFC North had to play VIkings #17, Lions #30 and Bears #26 twice a year

AFC North has to play Ravens #18, Bengals #32 , Browns #31 and Pittsburgh #22 twice a year

AFC South has to play the Titans #21 and Jaguars #20 twice a year

Where the Bills had to play

N.E #5 , Miami #12 and Jets #16 twice a year

All the teams in our division were in the top half of offensive stats.

Your point now isn't so compelling.

On the contrary. The fact is that we had one of the easiest schedules in the league. Except for our division foes and the Cards, we mostly got creampuffs. And the Cards defense just wasn't that good.

And as you pointed out, the Jets defense was just average and Miami slightly above average. Only the Pats were really good.

We play N.E ranked #5 offensively in the league twice a year. We played Miami ranked #10 offensively twice a year, We played the Jet's who were ranked #16 twice a year...

...you really got to stop with this incomplete and inaccurate information you post. Yesterday you said that Peters wasn't an All Pro and you were adamant about it, now this.

Um, dude, in your post above, you said that Miami was #12. Did they change from #12 to #10 within an hour, well after the season ended? Sweet.

You really got to stop with this incomplete and inaccurate informatino you post.

----------------------

Anyway, the main point to be mentioned in any offense/defense thread is that ... ta da da dot da da ... defense wins championships. Look at Arizona vs. Pittsburgh. Look at last year when the offensively oriented Pats got clipped by the defensively oriented Giants.

Defensively oriented teams simply win SBs more than offensively oriented teams.

On the contrary. The fact is that we had one of the easiest schedules in the league. Except for our division foes and the Cards, we mostly got creampuffs. And the Cards defense just wasn't that good.

And as you pointed out, the Jets defense was just average and Miami slightly above average. Only the Pats were really good.

It just went right over your head didn't it?

*sigh* :thumbsup:

Weight doesn't matter in our scheme. Quickness does. Granted, very few guys at Raji's weight have superior quickness, but Raji is one of those exceptions to the rule, strong as a bull, big, and yet very quick. Look at his sack numbers last year and you will realize that very few DTs of any size are even close.

I will say it again...if he is there at 11 take him. I was so mad at the Bills brass when we passed on ngata!

For comparison look at Alabama tackle Andre Smith's recent workout. He looked fat too. But that's where the similarities end.

To quote a Seattle Seahawk blog site, "To put Smith's workout in perspective, he did not post a single number that would have placed him in the top performers at his position at the combine and many of his numbers were not even close to the top 10 at his position at the combine."

In fairness to Andre Smith, he also has lost 7 pounds since the combine and his 40 yard times at his Pro Day were 5.28 and 5.33 which are not bad. But his other results were very average. For instance, Raji put up 33 bench presses. Smith managed only 19.

If there is one thing I don't like about Raji it is his short, "Kyle Williams" arms. This probably explains the bench press numbers as well. Guys with shorter arms don't have to push the 225 lbs as far.

The thing is, Raji appears to be much stronger than Williams, who seems to rely more on angles to the ball carrier than brute strength. One of our dirty little secrets as Bills Fans is that Kyle Williams, while not awful, gets tossed around far too much.

I would not be unhappy at all if the Bills took Raji at 11. We could hope for him to be a modern day

Curley Culp, of whom Raji reminds me in terms of style. I don't know if you got to watch Culp, but he was one disruptive force, and the players around him were able to capitalize on the fact that 2 linemen had to account for him.

In case you are too young to remember him SJB.

If there is one thing I don't like about Raji it is his short, "Kyle Williams" arms. This probably explains the bench press numbers as well. Guys with shorter arms don't have to push the 225 lbs as far.

The thing is, Raji appears to be much stronger than Williams, who seems to rely more on angles to the ball carrier than brute strength. One of our dirty little secrets as Bills Fans is that Kyle Williams, while not awful, gets tossed around far too much.

I would not be unhappy at all if the Bills took Raji at 11. We could hope for him to be a modern day

Curley Culp, of whom Raji reminds me in terms of style. I don't know if you got to watch Culp, but he was one disruptive force, and the players around him were able to capitalize on the fact that 2 linemen had to account for him.

Great post. I like Williams but I think he would be more effective as a back up. People keep harping on a pass rushing end but what good would that do when opposing QBs are able to step up in the pocket away from our outside pressure. Our DEs are not great but they are capable. If we can create a good push up the middle the sacks will come. That said I am holding on to the hope that Raji will be there at #11.

Great post. I like Williams but I think he would be more effective as a back up. People keep harping on a pass rushing end but what good would that do when opposing QBs are able to step up in the pocket away from our outside pressure. Our DEs are not great but they are capable. If we can create a good push up the middle the sacks will come. That said I am holding on to the hope that Raji will be there at #11.

Thanks! Did you ever see Mr. Culp?

I think everyone is really reaching with his faults. The kid can play.

'Our Scheme'? If a guy is big and gets penetration and can also keep blockers from getting to LBs then he fits in any scheme. Thats simple football 101. Dlinemen are suppose to hold there position and tie up Oline man so Lbs can fill the gaps. Thats why Lbs typically lead every team in tackles. I think Warren Sapp was the base of the Tampa 2 D. And he had a gut and a half on him.

Warren Sapp ran a 4.69 at the combine, while being 330 lbs. Raji is nowhere close to that.

Get over it people, Raji will most likely have to drop a few pounds to retain the same quickness he had in College. As long as we run the Tampa 2, it would not be smart to plug in players that do not fit our scheme. It's not a coincidence that the Bears have Tommie Harris, and not a player like Ngata. You can B word all you want about our D needing someone to plug up the middle, but we don't run a 3-4. We need a tackle who can get sacks, not a fat ass.

Also, the best tackles in the NFL are NOT short and fat. Most are tall and in the 300-320 range.

I think there is little doubt that Raji could help this team out tremendously. He is very quick for his size, strong and plays with good leverage. He is very effective at shooting the gaps and I believe would help out our team not just in the run defense department but also in collapsing the pocket.

However I do believe he would be more effective with our team if he weighed about 10-15 lbs less than what we've seen him.

I just don't see him making it to us. He seems to be moving up the charts, specially after his proday workout.