How many games would Trent have to miss...

Virgil

Assuming Trent puts up good numbers and looks the way he did during the first 6 games of last season, how many games do you think he would have to miss due to injury for the Bills to have to start thinking about another option at QB.

Now, let me say that this isn't meant to be a bashing session of Trent, but the reality is that he hasn't completed a full season healthy in over 4 years (maybe longer for all I know). With that being said, no NFL team can go into a season knowing that there is almost no chance that their QB can't start the whole season.

Personally, I say that if he misses 2 or more games, then we really need to look at someone else next year. Once again, this is nothing against Trent as a person or player, merely what I think is best for the team.

Thoughts?

Assuming Trent puts up good numbers and looks the way he did during the first 6 games of last season, how many games do you think he would have to miss due to injury for the Bills to have to start thinking about another option at QB.

Now, let me say that this isn't meant to be a bashing session of Trent, but the reality is that he hasn't completed a full season healthy in over 4 years (maybe longer for all I know). With that being said, no NFL team can go into a season knowing that there is almost no chance that their QB can't start the whole season.

Personally, I say that if he misses 2 or more games, then we really need to look at someone else next year. Once again, this is nothing against Trent as a person or player, merely what I think is best for the team.

Thoughts?

I really say we need to look into someone now!!!! I dont understand the envy of the first 6 games I watched and rewatched those game I saw nothing spectacular out of this gut that gave me the feeling we have our starting QB.

Like DJ I have to see what happens this year believing waht i already believe to be true and I am very upset about the backup Because I thought they would bring in someone that could take the reigns not only when he went down but when he shows hes not capable anymore.

Flame away all you want but he reminds me of Frank Reich- Career Back-up great for a couple of spot starts when your QB goes down and good off the bench but not good for a season.

I really say we need to look into someone now!!!! I dont understand the envy of the first 6 games I watched and rewatched those game I saw nothing spectacular out of this gut that gave me the feeling we have our starting QB.

Like DJ I have to see what happens this year believing waht i already believe to be true and I am very upset about the backup Because I thought they would bring in someone that could take the reigns not only when he went down but when he shows hes not capable anymore.

Flame away all you want but he reminds me of Frank Reich- Career Back-up great for a couple of spot starts when your QB goes down and good off the bench but not good for a season.

I don't get the fascination with those first games either personally. I mean he was not good against the Rams and Raiders with QB ratings of 81, and if it werent for the fact in both games the defenses stopped bringing pressure in the 4th we would have lost both.

I think he has potential, but Trent gets propped up way too much on some of those wins where he didnt even throw for more than 1 TD...

While i'm not saying his previous play can't be questioned, clearly our FO is sticking with Trent. The question is, what will it take for them to look in another direction due to injury concern.

I think that if he misses more than 3 games, we need to address it via free agency in 2010, not the draft. If we draft a QB early next year (or especially this year), it will show that we're moving on.

I agree that you can't expect your starter to be sidelined.

I don't get the fascination with those first games either personally. I mean he was not good against the Rams and Raiders with QB ratings of 81, and if it werent for the fact in both games the defenses stopped bringing pressure in the 4th we would have lost both.

I think he has potential, but Trent gets propped up way too much on some of those wins where he didnt even throw for more than 1 TD...

To be fair, he didn't have to throw for anymore. They are (or were) asking Trent to be a game manager or whatever they've coined it. The goal was to take the lead, run the ball, milk the clock, win the game. Not put up huge numbers.

Whether you agree with that philosophy is another topic.

I am on board to this point with Trent, but his play down the stretch was poor, and he is very injury prone

per his history on the pro's and college.

Initially, I was super hyped about hearing the late Bill Walsh was very high on Edwards, however you he has not

proven to be able to complete ANY season so far, and like it or not, the Bills should be looking for a QB in the

draft regardless of how many games T.E. completes this year.

1 game.

To be fair, he didn't have to throw for anymore. They are (or were) asking Trent to be a game manager or whatever they've coined it. The goal was to take the lead, run the ball, milk the clock, win the game. Not put up huge numbers.

Whether you agree with that philosophy is another topic.

I dont know if that was the goal given we didnt have the lead in 3 of the games during our 4-0 start. We had to come from behind late in the 4th against Jax, Raiders, and Rams...if it was the goal, it sure wasnt working...

The Bills need a solid O-line before they can accurately judge a qb on their roster. Secondly, every qb on our roster should be capable, and have the talent to be a starter. Its the NFL, and the guys are getting rich, so they ought to be able to step right in - as the Patriots have shown. I would also add that Edwards looked as terrible last year, at times, as he did brilliant at others, but that no Pro should look to be as terrified of throwing the ball as he did in three or four games last year. It was almost unwatchable; so, if he displays a habit of being rattled like that, then the bills, especially now with Owens, need someone else to rely upon.

I think that if he misses more than 3 games, we need to address it via free agency in 2010, not the draft. If we draft a QB early next year (or especially this year), it will show that we're moving on.

I agree that you can't expect your starter to be sidelined.

I agree IF Trent plays well enough to WIN, & put the Bills in the Playoffs the team should get a GOOD back up that can keep the ship on course if Trent is injured, NOT a QB like Ryan Fitzgerald. If Trent doesn't show something this year both he & Dick will be gone in 10.

I dont know if that was the goal given we didnt have the lead in 3 of the games during our 4-0 start. We had to come from behind late in the 4th against Jax, Raiders, and Rams...if it was the goal, it sure wasnt working...

Alpha

just like clockwork, you chime in regarding Trent. You are overly critical. he has had 1 full season, and he has done better than most do in their first year. Fact is he did have a very high completion pct., winning record, higher than avg qb rating, yards per completion avg. then most do in their first year. That is a fact. Not to mention for a very mediocre team, who has had really an anemic WR combo and no viable TE.

For someone who has these numbers, you are very critical of his first year of play. I would think that you people would be encouraged of what he accomplished in his first year. I am that is for sure, and I'm looking very forward to next year.

You can save this post and throw it in my face down the road if I am wrong. What I am saying is that IF he stays healthy, and there are no earth shattering injuries, then not only will he have a winning record, but he will have a qb rating of over 90 with over 20tds thrown, %65 completion avg. and less than 15 ints.

I don't really care who the quarterback is. The Bills need to go out there and whoop up on the rest of the league like I did to Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania 14 and again to The Rock at Wrestlemania 15. I had a bum knee and was coming off a broken neck in an Intercontinental Championship match vs. Owen Hart and I went out there, put on my jean shorts, spewed beer all over the place and whooped up on those guys. I don't want to hear about some concussion keepin nobody out of the damn game. I don't want to hear anybody runnin their damn mouth, I wanna see wins. And that's the bottom line cause Stone Cold said so.

Alpha

just like clockwork, you chime in regarding Trent. You are overly critical. he has had 1 full season, and he has done better than most do in their first year. Fact is he did have a very high completion pct., winning record, higher than avg qb rating, yards per completion avg. then most do in their first year. That is a fact. Not to mention for a very mediocre team, who has had really an anemic WR combo and no viable TE.

For someone who has these numbers, you are very critical of his first year of play. I would think that you people would be encouraged of what he accomplished in his first year. I am that is for sure, and I'm looking very forward to next year.

You can save this post and throw it in my face down the road if I am wrong. What I am saying is that IF he stays healthy, and there are no earth shattering injuries, then not only will he have a winning record, but he will have a qb rating of over 90 with over 20tds thrown, %65 completion avg. and less than 15 ints.

He also had one of the lowest TD:Attempt ratios in the league at .029 TDs per attempt.

Assuming Trent puts up good numbers and looks the way he did during the first 6 games of last season,how many games do you think he would have to miss due to injury for the Bills to have to start thinking about another option at QB.

Thoughts?

12 games