Thurman: Bills "not done yet"

I couldn't agree more. Having Thurman back in the area, and always willing to give his comments and analysis on the current team, and the obvious excitement he shows when a move like this happens, is pretty cool. I hope that he really does have a bit of inside info on the FO's plans going forward with the probability of more moves to come. This team is 1-2 more good free agent pickups and a good draft away from being a contender. Knock on wood, of course.

Just for fun...How would everyone feel about this to shape up the offseason...

-Sign Freddy Keiaho

-Extend Jason Peters

-Trade the #11 Pick and our 3rd Rounder (#75) to Philly for their #21 Pick in Round One and Second Rounder (#53)

-Draft:

1. Brandon Pettigrew TE, OK State (#21)

2. Robert Ayers DE, Tennessee (#42)

2. Eric Wood C, Louisville (#53)

4. Kraig Urbik G, Wisconsin (#106)

5. Patrick Turner WR, USC (#139)

6. Arian Foster RB, Tennessee (#170)

7. Clinton McDonald DT, Memphis St. (#202)

Any Takers?

LOVE IT. Your best pick is one we haven't talked much about--Kraig Urbik, probably the best run blocking Guard in this draft!!

Have you ever watched Ayers play at all while he was at Tennessee? The guy is a very, very good player and will develop into a beast at the next level IMO. I admit, it may even be stretching it at my part to have him still around at the #42 slot, because he could very well be gone 10-15 picks sooner. Many consider him one of the top couple ends in the draft as far as playing both the run and pass at a high level goes. A healthy Schobel, along with a guy like Ayers and Denney, who really didn't have that bad of a year last year (not anywhere near Chris Kelsay bad) gives us three quality defensive ends. Not to mention last years 3rd rounder Ellis, who is still a bit of an unknown, and Kelsay if they keep him in the fold. Where is there room for another FA defensive end if we do in fact draft a guy like Ayers or someone else (Maybin, Brown, Johnson, etc) in the first two rounds? I don't think there is the room, money, nor the need to sign another average DE in free agency considering that type of scenario. JMHO.

We have Ayers going to the Bills in Round 2.

http://www.drafttek.com/round22009.asp

Astro

what is the infatuation with Pettigrew?

everyone wants a TE to open up the passing game

a guy that runs slower than your OL is not going to create any mismatches in the secondary.

draft Ingram - a big tall TE with speed and athleticsm

Ingram looked good at the combine. Speed kills.

Beckum is 6'3" 243, had the most bench press reps among TEs, and ran a 4.6 40 while only being 80% from his broken leg. It's not unrealistic to think that he runs in the low 4.5s when 100%. Not to mention he had 900+ yards the two years before he broke his leg.

Beckum is EXACTLY what we need, and could be had in the 3rd round.

Beckum is 6'3" 243, had the most bench press reps among TEs, and ran a 4.6 40 while only being 80% from his broken leg. It's not unrealistic to think that he runs in the low 4.5s when 100%. Not to mention he had 900+ yards the two years before he broke his leg.

Beckum is EXACTLY what we need, and could be had in the 3rd round.

He seems like a good option.

Whats most important about what you just mentioned is his production. That is what I like.

People love Jared Cook. But when you look what he's done in his career, it's pretty uninspiring.

But lots of unsuccesful scouts and GM's overvalue players speed and physical attributes and then they are stuck with good athletes who don't know how to play football that well. Just like Vernon Davis

I find that odd as well seeing last week he said there wasnt alot of talent on the team. im confused Thurman. One player will surely help the offense but damn our D line stinks.

At least there are enough players to actually field a DL -

not so much with the OL

hope TO likes a lot of dump offs from a QB running for his life

because LGs let in a whole lot of rushers?

yeah- teams only pass rush from the outside - I forgot :blink:

Guess you have not watched much Bills football.

up the gut is the shortest route to the QB and has been a major problem for the Bills before they got Dockery

expect more jail breaks with a journeyman C and a scrub at LG

Obviously that was just one of MANY potential scenarios that I presented, but one that does make sense for both teams involved in the swapping of picks. Philly is going to go hard after a tackle to replace Tra Thomas IMO, and they are going to need to trade up in the first round to get one of the elite guys, assuming one or two of them are still around at that point. And is what I presented really what you would call getting the sun, moon, and stars plus a golden box to put them in? Gimme a break. Pettigrew, Ayers, and Wood, or something very similar, being our first three picks is very possible.

Yeah, it is silly. Philly gives up a second round pick just to move up a lousy 10 spots??? Show me the huge differences between the OT's available at 11 vs. 21 that are worth a second round pick. Then show me your crystal ball that is so certain that the guy or guys there at 11 won't be there for them at 21, a crystal ball so unerringly accurate that its worth betting a second round pick on it.

Yeah, it is silly. Philly gives up a second round pick just to move up a lousy 10 spots??? Show me the huge differences between the OT's available at 11 vs. 21 that are worth a second round pick. Then show me your crystal ball that is so certain that the guy or guys there at 11 won't be there for them at 21, a crystal ball so unerringly accurate that its worth betting a second round pick on it.

I was basing this on the fact that Philly is REALLY looking for an offensive tackle, which is pretty obvious since they let Tra Thomas walk and are interested in exploring trade options for Peters. There are four really good tackles in this draft by most accounts - Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, Andre Smith, and Michael Oher - none of which have the probability of falling to #21 it seems. So, if this is the case and Philly doesn't get a replacement for Thomas in free agency, they very well might have to move up anywhere from 5-15 picks in the first round to get one of these guys. And it may be enough of a need to swap a 2nd round pick for our 3rd essentially. What makes that speculation so unrealistic?

expect more jail breaks with a journeyman C and a scrub at LG

I'm assuming you're talking about Hangartner as the journeyman Center. If so, he's only been on 1 team (Carolina) and would have started for the Bills if he'd been here during that time. Carolina's Oline across the board is better than the Bills.