How do so many people remain optimistic?

My question to some would be-Why do you remain so pessimistic? I love football and the Bills are my favorite team,but really if they lose it has no effect on the big picture of my life as long as I don't let it. Like everyone else,I feel a little down after a loss but I quickly put that aside and start thinking about the positives that can come next Sunday. Sports are supposed to be for my entertainment and enjoyment. If I start to let them bum me out,I need to do something else with my time.

My question to some would be-Why do you remain so pessimistic? I love football and the Bills are my favorite team,but really if they lose it has no effect on the big picture of my life as long as I don't let it. Like everyone else,I feel a little down after a loss but I quickly put that aside and start thinking about the positives that can come next Sunday. Sports are supposed to be for my entertainment and enjoyment. If I start to let them bum me out,I need to do something else with my time.

I guess that would be my question as well. I don't even disagree factually with a lot of the negative posters. I'm not optimistic about this team's prospects. What I don't get are the people who post incessantly about it, who seem to take no pleasure in watching games or following the team, and yet continually torment themselves by remaining hardcore fans. I love the Bills but when they were stumbling around, unable to get out of their own way, in the second half of the season, watching games gave me zero pleasure and instead just aggravation, so I stopped watching.

There's plenty to back you up if you want to make negative posts about the team, what I don't understand is posting negative comments every day or week.

I guess that would be my question as well. I don't even disagree factually with a lot of the negative posters. I'm not optimistic about this team's prospects. What I don't get are the people who post incessantly about it, who seem to take no pleasure in watching games or following the team, and yet continually torment themselves by remaining hardcore fans. I love the Bills but when they were stumbling around, unable to get out of their own way, in the second half of the season, watching games gave me zero pleasure and instead just aggravation, so I stopped watching.

There's plenty to back you up if you want to make negative posts about the team, what I don't understand is posting negative comments every day or week.

I bet you didnt stop watching. Or you at least went back and caught another glimpse, checked the final score in some hope we pulled off the big W. Just like we all post here, Its because we are all obsessed with them. Some are obsessed optimistaclly and some pessimistically. Me, I am realistically obsessed. And realistically, we will win no more than 5 games next year. Yes thats right 5. And if I am wrong I want everyone to tell me so. But with Jauron and a very tough division, we will be utter failures wollowing around in the same misery that the politicians put the city of Buffalo in.

I have seen alot of negative posts on here lately, in fact I have entered my share, and there are always a few people who jump all over people who enter them. I have been a Bills fan for nearly 40 years, and I don't mean for this to be a negative topic, but how do people remain so optimistic, despite the lack of production from the team, the lack of effort from the Front Office and the unwillingness to spend on Ralph Wilson's part-not to mention selling one of our home games to Canada. I would love to feel optimistic, but it gets harder and harder each year. Are people just looking through rose colored glasses or is there something to feel optimistic about that I am missing?

Because football is a game....

I bet you didnt stop watching. Or you at least went back and caught another glimpse, checked the final score in some hope we pulled off the big W. Just like we all post here, Its because we are all obsessed with them. Some are obsessed optimistaclly and some pessimistically. Me, I am realistically obsessed. And realistically, we will win no more than 5 games next year. Yes thats right 5. And if I am wrong I want everyone to tell me so. But with Jauron and a very tough division, we will be utter failures wollowing around in the same misery that the politicians put the city of Buffalo in.

I checked the final score. But I wasn't watching the games, for pretty much the first time in my time as a fan. As long as the Bills are in Buffalo I will follow them. I just couldn't stand watching them anymore after the SF game, so I stopped. And although I don't expect much from them next season - 5 wins is about where I have them pegged too - I just don't see the point in posting about it constantly. It is what it is, I'd rather see new ideas on how they could improve instead of just pointing out what I already know, like the DJ is a bad coach. It's true but it doesn't advance a conversation.

Heck, I'd rather see 10 "bring TO to Buffalo" threads than one more "the FO sucks" thread.

I don't post often and don't favor jumping all over someone just because they don't spout a company line but many posts show a level of pessimism that isn't consistent with the actual performance of the Bills. The Bills problem this decade isn't that they consistently suck, the problem they have is that they are consistently mediocre.

The front office isn't the dumbest in football, its just a bit dim; Dick Jauron isn't the worst coach in the history of football, he is just not all that brilliant. This bothers me in the national coverage of the Bills as well. The Bills go 7-9 every year and are treated like a franchise that will have trouble winning 3-4 games.

I am not saying going 7-9 every year is fun but when discussing what the Bills need to do to solve their problems one has to first have a good definition of where they are and where they need to be.

I checked the final score. But I wasn't watching the games, for pretty much the first time in my time as a fan. As long as the Bills are in Buffalo I will follow them. I just couldn't stand watching them anymore after the SF game, so I stopped. And although I don't expect much from them next season - 5 wins is about where I have them pegged too - I just don't see the point in posting about it constantly. It is what it is, I'd rather see new ideas on how they could improve instead of just pointing out what I already know, like the DJ is a bad coach. It's true but it doesn't advance a conversation.

Heck, I'd rather see 10 "bring TO to Buffalo" threads than one more "the FO sucks" thread.

Let me ask you this. what else is there really to post then? I mean, should we post about all the FA's we signed? If you have a solution let me know. But you havent really offered one up yet. I know...maybe we can all find out when the jills try outs are, go to them and have some beers. Sound good? I bet that would be more entertaining. To be absolutely honest, our FO doesnt suck if you think about it this way. They are overachievers LOL...how many other NFL teams have a marketing guy who is the head of the foorball operations? Answer....none. They are all football guys. Just like in hockey, all hockey guys, baseball, all baseball guys etc....So really Russ isnt doing such a bad job if you look at it that way. Im totally with ya buddy...5 wins thats it. If we get 6 I will run the next Marine Corps Marathon. I promise.

I don't post often and don't favor jumping all over someone just because they don't spout a company line but many posts show a level of pessimism that isn't consistent with the actual performance of the Bills. The Bills problem this decade isn't that they consistently suck, the problem they have is that they are consistently mediocre.

The front office isn't the dumbest in football, its just a bit dim; Dick Jauron isn't the worst coach in the history of football, he is just not all that brilliant. This bothers me in the national coverage of the Bills as well. The Bills go 7-9 every year and are treated like a franchise that will have trouble winning 3-4 games.

I am not saying going 7-9 every year is fun but when discussing what the Bills need to do to solve their problems one has to first have a good definition of where they are and where they need to be.

mediocre is at least 8-8. Anything lower means they suck. Add up all the w's and l's for the past 10 and see what it is. And then tell me what they are.

Let me ask you this. what else is there really to post then? I mean, should we post about all the FA's we signed? If you have a solution let me know. But you havent really offered one up yet. I know...maybe we can all find out when the jills try outs are, go to them and have some beers. Sound good? I bet that would be more entertaining. To be absolutely honest, our FO doesnt suck if you think about it this way. They are overachievers LOL...how many other NFL teams have a marketing guy who is the head of the foorball operations? Answer....none. They are all football guys. Just like in hockey, all hockey guys, baseball, all baseball guys etc....So really Russ isnt doing such a bad job if you look at it that way. Im totally with ya buddy...5 wins thats it. If we get 6 I will run the next Marine Corps Marathon. I promise.

I like reading threads about FAs who are still out there who might help us, prospects in the draft that look good, things like that. Even though we won't get them it's fun to read about and think about what the team would look like with them on board. But someone posting about how bad the team's management is tells me nothing I don't already know. I don't have to look any farther than the team's record over the last 10 years to see that.

The Bills are (or are supposed to be) entertainment. We're posters on a message board, we don't have any control over what the team does, so let's at least try to get what entertainment value out of the team that we can.

I have seen alot of negative posts on here lately, in fact I have entered my share, and there are always a few people who jump all over people who enter them. I have been a Bills fan for nearly 40 years, and I don't mean for this to be a negative topic, but how do people remain so optimistic, despite the lack of production from the team, the lack of effort from the Front Office and the unwillingness to spend on Ralph Wilson's part-not to mention selling one of our home games to Canada. I would love to feel optimistic, but it gets harder and harder each year. Are people just looking through rose colored glasses or is there something to feel optimistic about that I am missing?

The contracts of Derrick Dockery, Lee Evans, Jason Peters (soon) and Aaron Schobel, IMO, prove that statement wrong.

Anyone who posts on a Bills message board throughout the offseason is a rabid fan IMO, and he/she has a valued opinion. Some fans take their dissapointment in the team and allow it to boil over into every opinion and post. I can understand how that frustration builds after years of mediocrity. Other fans stay hopelessly positive and optimistic about a team that is not on the rise once again. I'm only 29 years old and haven't suffered the punishment that some of you have. I have had my share but 40 years of bad teams is beyond my comprehension.* Us younger fans need to remember that when defending this team, and understand that the history is as much a part of the anger as is the current team. Does anybody have real playoff hopes for next year? I don't but I know my mood towards the team has no direct effect on what the FO does. So for my own enjoyment I try to hold onto that small amount of hope. The Bills will be gone in my lifetime** and we are fortunate to still have them. It's the old is the glass half full or empty argument.(no right answer)

*The Bills won two consecutive AFL titles in 1964 and 1965.

1966 - 9-4-1 (Hosted Championship Game)

1967 - 4- 10

1968 - 1-12-1

1969 - 4 - 10

1970 - 3 - 10 - 1

1971 - 1 - 13

1972 - 4 -9 - 1

1973 - 8- 5

1974 - 9 - 5 (Made Playoffs as a wild card)

1975 - 8- 6

1976 - 2 - 12

1977 - 3 - 11

1978 - 5 - 11

1979 - 7 - 9

1980 - 11 - 5 (Made Playoffs)

1981 - 10 - 6 (Made Playoffs)

1982 - 4 - 5 (Strike Shortened Season)

1983 - 8-8

1984 - 2 - 14

1985 - 2 - 14

1986 - 4 - 12

1987 - 7- 8

1988 - 12 - 4 (Made Playoffs)

1989 - 9- 7 (Made Playoffs)

1990 - 13 - 3 (Went to Super Bowl)

1991 - 13- 3 (Went to Super Bowl)

1992 - 11 - 5 (Went to Super Bowl)

1993 - 12 - 4 (Went to Super Bowl)

1994 - 7 - 9

1995 - 10 - 6 (Made Playoffs)

1996 - 10 - 6 (Made Playoffs)

1997 - 6 - 10

1998 - 10 - 6 (Made Playoffs)

1999 - 11 - 5 (Made Playoffs but lost on the homerun throw forward play by the Titans) :thumbsup:

2000 - 8 - 8

2001 - 3 - 13

2002 - 8 - 8

2003 - 6 - 10

2004 - 9 - 7

2005 - 5 - 11

2006 - 7 - 9

2007 - 7 - 9

2008 - 7 - 9

So the Bills won two AFL championships, went to the playoffs 13 times and 4 consecutive Super Bowls, so how you come up with 40 years of bad teams I don't know.

** Nobody knows whether the Bills will be leaving or not. Jim Kelly has vowed that he will do everything he can to keep the team in Buffalo. I don't see them leaving in my lifetime.

Because football is a game....

:lol:

The problem is that some fans only have negativity. They can't see the things the Bills have done right and piss and moan about everything. That gets annoying very quickly and that's why there is a backlash against them. If someone is both positive and negative they are much less likely to get jumped on. JMO

The contracts of Derrick Dockery, Lee Evans, Jason Peters (soon) and Aaron Schobel, IMO, prove that statement wrong.

*The Bills won two consecutive AFL titles in 1964 and 1965.

1966 - 9-4-1 (Hosted Championship Game)

1967 - 4- 10

1968 - 1-12-1

1969 - 4 - 10

1970 - 3 - 10 - 1

1971 - 1 - 13

1972 - 4 -9 - 1

1973 - 8- 5

1974 - 9 - 5 (Made Playoffs as a wild card)

1975 - 8- 6

1976 - 2 - 12

1977 - 3 - 11

1978 - 5 - 11

1979 - 7 - 9

1980 - 11 - 5 (Made Playoffs)

1981 - 10 - 6 (Made Playoffs)

1982 - 4 - 5 (Strike Shortened Season)

1983 - 8-8

1984 - 2 - 14

1985 - 2 - 14

1986 - 4 - 12

1987 - 7- 8

1988 - 12 - 4 (Made Playoffs)

1989 - 9- 7 (Made Playoffs)

1990 - 13 - 3 (Went to Super Bowl)

1991 - 13- 3 (Went to Super Bowl)

1992 - 11 - 5 (Went to Super Bowl)

1993 - 12 - 4 (Went to Super Bowl)

1994 - 7 - 9

1995 - 10 - 6 (Made Playoffs)

1996 - 10 - 6 (Made Playoffs)

1997 - 6 - 10

1998 - 10 - 6 (Made Playoffs)

1999 - 11 - 5 (Made Playoffs but lost on the homerun throw forward play by the Titans) :thumbsup:

2000 - 8 - 8

2001 - 3 - 13

2002 - 8 - 8

2003 - 6 - 10

2004 - 9 - 7

2005 - 5 - 11

2006 - 7 - 9

2007 - 7 - 9

2008 - 7 - 9

So the Bills won two AFL championships, went to the playoffs 13 times and 4 consecutive Super Bowls, so how you come up with 40 years of bad teams I don't know.

** Nobody knows whether the Bills will be leaving or not. Jim Kelly has vowed that he will do everything he can to keep the team in Buffalo. I don't see them leaving in my lifetime.

:lol:

The problem is that some fans only have negativity. They can't see the things the Bills have done right and piss and moan about everything. That gets annoying very quickly and that's why there is a backlash against them. If someone is both positive and negative they are much less likely to get jumped on. JMO

what can you say

misery loves company