Great Op/Ed that hits the nail on the head

Charles nails it-

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/...cky_budget.html

But have faith all, the administration is all over this crisis!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0501358_pf.html

That's just a stupid article by the Kraut. Obama is talking about doing several things at once. Krauthammer is complaining he's not fixing one thing, the big thing, because he's trying to do something else impossible. That's not at all what Obama has said he was going to do, is doing, and will do (whether it works or not is a different story). Krauthammer's complaint is simply what it always is, he doesn't like liberal policies.

Yes, the most important thing is to fix the economy right away in the short term. And God knows it needs to be fixed. But the budget plan and the stimulus plan and all other plans have always been designed to both try to fix the short term problem, address the mid-term, and transform for the long term the way things have been done before into something new and far reaching. That's what he's doing on health care, on education, on energy, and virtually everything else that is in disarray.

It may not work, and that is a fair point to argue. It may even blow up in Obama's face. But the administration has been very consistent on this stuff even before being elected.

That's just a stupid article by the Kraut. Obama is talking about doing several things at once. Krauthammer is complaining he's not fixing one thing, the big thing, because he's trying to do something else impossible. That's not at all what Obama has said he was going to do, is doing, and will do (whether it works or not is a different story). Krauthammer's complaint is simply what it always is, he doesn't like liberal policies.

Yes, the most important thing is to fix the economy right away in the short term. And God knows it needs to be fixed. But the budget plan and the stimulus plan and all other plans have always been designed to both try to fix the short term problem, address the mid-term, and transform for the long term the way things have been done before into something new and far reaching. That's what he's doing on health care, on education, on energy, and virtually everything else that is in disarray.

It may not work, and that is a fair point to argue. It may even blow up in Obama's face. But the administration has been very consistent on this stuff even before being elected.

What he's arguing is that Obama is trying to get things done -- like universal health care -- by implying that a lack of universal health care is a major reason for the current economic mess.

So yes, it's obviously tilted, but I heard Obama on the news yesterday stating that the biggest problem facing our economy is the lack of universal health care. He's using the crisis to push things through as quickly as possible...or so people like Krauthammer are insinuating. And I would agree with him to an extent.

People are freaked out. The stock market keeps diving, regardless of how much money Obama throws at it. Unemployment is brutally high. Free health care is PRECISELY what we need to pull us out of this.

It's not what Obama is doing, because you're right, he said he'd do this. It's how he's doing it, which will ultimately be seen as disingenuous.

Charlie K is as mad as hell! I love it. Hes a great pundit.

Serious question...is he in a wheelchair?

Yes. I read he was diving in a swimming pool in college and hit the bottom. Became a parapelegic.

What he's arguing is that Obama is trying to get things done -- like universal health care -- by implying that a lack of universal health care is a major reason for the current economic mess.

So yes, it's obviously tilted, but I heard Obama on the news yesterday stating that the biggest problem facing our economy is the lack of universal health care. He's using the crisis to push things through as quickly as possible...or so people like Krauthammer are insinuating. And I would agree with him to an extent.

People are freaked out. The stock market keeps diving, regardless of how much money Obama throws at it. Unemployment is brutally high. Free health care is PRECISELY what we need to pull us out of this.

It's not what Obama is doing, because you're right, he said he'd do this. It's how he's doing it, which will ultimately be seen as disingenuous.

Funny how the same people who were OUTRAGED!!!!!! by the "scare tactics" of the Bush Admin to ram through the Patriot Act and other things on his agenda are now juuuuust fine with Obama using the same tactics to ram through his action items.

How the hell are you saying that he is using the crisis to try to shove universal health care through when two years ago he was saying as soon as he gets into office, day one, he is going to start to get universal health care finally passed? That has been one of his biggest promises since before he announced. :lol:

How the hell are you saying that he is using the crisis to try to shove universal health care through when two years ago he was saying as soon as he gets into office, day one, he is going to start to get universal health care finally passed? That has been one of his biggest promises since before he announced. :wallbash:

Um, becuase thats how hes now selling it. Its how he presented it to Congress, not just as something to be done but something that needs to be done to stimulate the bad economy. And...his Chief of Staff backed it up by saying "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. This crisis provides the opportunity for us to do things that you could not do before."

Um, becuase thats how hes now selling it. Its how he presented it to Congress, not just as something to be done but something that needs to be done to stimulate the bad economy. And...his Chief of Staff backed it up by saying "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. This crisis provides the opportunity for us to do things that you could not do before."

The point is is that he has been saying how important and vital it is to the economy and to the American public all this time, years before the crisis. He was saying that it has been a drain on the economy forever and must be addressed after decades of neglect. Now he is just using the situation he and we are in to put pressure on Congress to get what he wants done done. It's not anything different. And a great deal of what he talks about the economy as it relates to health care is long term, not short term (it's always both, which was my original point).

The point is is that he has been saying how important and vital it is to the economy and to the American public all this time, years before the crisis. He was saying that it has been a drain on the economy forever and must be addressed after decades of neglect. Now he is just using the situation he and we are in to put pressure on Congress to get what he wants done done. It's not anything different.

Dude, you need to turn down the Dolly Parton and listen to what we're saying. He is telling people that universal health care will fix our current economic crisis. I understand that to you, he's still on point. But to those of us who don't carry his commemorative plate around with us, he is making it sound like providing universal health care WILL FIX THE CURRENT ECONOMIC CRISIS, a crisis that wasn't NEAR this bad when he was making campaign promises.

America is stupid. They're scared. He knows this. The worse things get, the easier it is to scare people and the easier it is to push things through without people paying close enough attention. Remember...just because he provides free health care doesn't mean the program he puts in IS THE RIGHT PROGRAM. Through fear, he can pass through whatever he wants, regardless of whether it turns out to be in the best interest of America. And to be honest, and slightly off point, I'm beginning to believe that having people desperate, scared and poor is not a priority for Obama to fix, but a priority for Obama to maintain. Suddenly Rahm's words ring true.

Heh.

If you are 50 years old or so, you will be put on hold, given some sort fr Rx and sent home by an invulnerable civil service union functionary who couldn't give a sh*t about your situation. No longer a profit motive for supplying good service. No concern for your health - no money spent for procedures that can extend your life. You will be "selected out for the greater good".

Age 50 - you, your wife - mere liabilities that the State cannot allow. You will be just another pest, interfering with the lunch break of a person that for all intents and purposes, can never get discharged for incompetence. See also the physician, or the hospital staff. Good, bad, indifferent - all the same.

No more private insurance. No more non-government union plans. Done and gone. No incentive to excel, no incentive to innovate. Forget malpractice - a non-starter.

"Universal", federal health care solves the problem of a Social Security System coffer filled with empty IOUs.

Enjoy.

I'm convinced that Rahm Emanual is the power behind the throne, more so than many people believe. Emanual is the consumate politician, and, in the same manner he manipulates many situations, e.g., the Mike Steele imbroglio, he is currently manipulating Obama in terms of priorities as well as substance.

Charles nails it-

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/...cky_budget.html

But have faith all, the administration is all over this crisis!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0501358_pf.html

Uhm???

The first one makes some wild accusations at the beginning and then never substantiates them with any data, or facts or anything... well substantial.

The second one blames congress for Geithner not having any help.

Dude, you need to turn down the Dolly Parton and listen to what we're saying. He is telling people that universal health care will fix our current economic crisis.

Where did he say that? He said he has been advised that it's the biggest problem we have, overall, because it's a huge drain on businesses and jobs (you should know that), it's a huge drain on individual families, it's enormous expense in insurance, it's causing people to declare bankruptcy and lose their homes, Medicare costs are consuming Federal and State budgets. It's an enormous mess and getting worse. Do you want to dispute any of that? Then he says, as he always does, that every time we bring this subject up there is another excuse not to do it, in good times and in bad, and there aren't going to be any more excuses, it's too big a mess, too important an issue, too vital to our economy now, soon and down the line. So we're going to do it now.

He's doing it all because he's popular and he can get it done. It's not something surprising or different. I think it's about time, too. Just like a new energy policy and education policy are about time. I don't think you have to forsake the more substantial immediate problems in housing and credit and Wall Street to do something big at the same time that has a major direct effect, short, mid and long term. And I don't think he is forsaking it. He's just doing both because he knows he has the political capital to do it. Good, as far as I'm concerned. It's about time someone took on this crap. And it's all inter-connected.

Dude, you need to turn down the Dolly Parton and listen to what we're saying. He is telling people that universal health care will fix our current economic crisis. I understand that to you, he's still on point. But to those of us who don't carry his commemorative plate around with us, he is making it sound like providing universal health care WILL FIX THE CURRENT ECONOMIC CRISIS, a crisis that wasn't NEAR this bad when he was making campaign promises.

America is stupid. They're scared. He knows this. The worse things get, the easier it is to scare people and the easier it is to push things through without people paying close enough attention. Remember...just because he provides free health care doesn't mean the program he puts in IS THE RIGHT PROGRAM. Through fear, he can pass through whatever he wants, regardless of whether it turns out to be in the best interest of America. And to be honest, and slightly off point, I'm beginning to believe that having people desperate, scared and poor is not a priority for Obama to fix, but a priority for Obama to maintain. Suddenly Rahm's words ring true.

If the chattering class wants to naval-gaze and perpetually blame the Bush Administration for "lying us into war" using "fixed" intelligence, shouldn't they also be questioning the motives of an Administration that really is using "fixed" statistics to lead us straight into a big-government bureaucratic nightmare that will be far more costly and stifling to individual freedom than our military involvement in Iraq?

Charles nails it-

Funny - I thought the same thing when I read it this morning and contemplated posting it.

CK used to be one of my least favorite pundits until things began focusing on the economy. Now he's the token voice of objectivity on the talk shows.

Now he's the token voice of objectivity on the talk shows.

That may be the funniest thing anyone has ever said on this message board. Ever! You should be proud.

Pin it, mods. That's friggin' stupendous!

Charles Krauthammer the token voice of objectivity. I just wet my pants.

It's gold, Jerry! Gold!

That may be the funniest thing anyone has ever said on this message board. Ever! You should be proud.

Pin it, mods. That's friggin' stupendous!

Charles Krauthammer the token voice of objectivity. I just wet my pants.

It's gold, Jerry! Gold!

Silly boy. The mods would AGREE that Krautenhiemer is a fine, objective kinda guy.

Even his PHOTO looks like he has a stick up his butt. Before I ever read his column it was easy to picture out where he stood just from the photo. He probably puts a pomander to his nose before he passes too closely by a constructino worker or black person.

Even his PHOTO looks like he has a stick up his butt. Before I ever read his column it was easy to picture out where he stood just from the photo. He probably puts a pomander to his nose before he passes too closely by a constructino worker or black person.

Actually, Krauthammer has been confined to a wheelchair since he was 22, but, uh...

Actually, Krauthammer has been confined to a wheelchair since he was 22, but, uh...

So? Does that mean I can only say nice things about him? Sorry for his physical affliction but there are plenty of folks who have them who are not vile.