Why Do The Bills Like Backup Centers as Starters?

Why did we sign this guy? He is going to turn out just like Fowler. This will be the second time we signed a backup center to play as the starter. Why did we not go after the center from the Ravens? I know its money, but to me the Bills are signing all second string players to play as starters for the bills, what a joke. I was hoping for them to spend some money this year, Wilson can't take the money to the grave so spend it please. I am tiried of these below average Bills teams going 7-9 and no playoffs.

Why did we sign this guy? He is going to turn out just like Fowler. This will be the second time we signed a Carolina center. Why did we not go after the center from the Ravens? I know its money, but to me the Bills are signing all second string players to be starters, what a joke. I was hoping for them to spend some money this year, Wilson can't take the money to the grave so spend it please. I am tiried of these below average Bills teams going 7-9 and no playoffs.

Really?

http://www.nfl.com/players/melvinfowler/profile?id=FOW483607

Try again.

Well, Fowler was a signing from the Vikings, not the Panthers.

But, I do see your point a bit. At the time of his signing, Fowler had stepped in for Birk during a season when he was injured and "played well" so we signed him to be our starter. Now, Hangartner's situation is much the same - a backup who "played well" when he got in there the last couple of years, and we have signed him as our starter.

I can only hope it works out better....

Why did we sign this guy? He is going to turn out just like Fowler. This will be the second time we signed a Carolina center. Why did we not go after the center from the Ravens? I know its money, but to me the Bills are signing all second string players to be starters, what a joke. I was hoping for them to spend some money this year, Wilson can't take the money to the grave so spend it please. I am tiried of these below average Bills teams going 7-9 and no playoffs.

second string starters... other than lynch an pretty good lt when he comes to play and mckelvin has show glimpses, we have no stars on this team and that is why we suck balls.

Really? How much did they pay?

it does not matter if the FO thought we needed a starting center we should have signed the center from the ravens, but we keep trying to find that cheap diamond in the ruff.

Why did we sign this guy? He is going to turn out just like Fowler. This will be the second time we signed a backup center to play as the starter. Why did we not go after the center from the Ravens? I know its money, but to me the Bills are signing all second string players to play as starters for the bills, what a joke. I was hoping for them to spend some money this year, Wilson can't take the money to the grave so spend it please. I am tiried of these below average Bills teams going 7-9 and no playoffs.

Please explain to me what you don't like about Hangartner's game. If you don't know anything about him as a football player, then you aren't qualified to rate the signing or compare him to Fowler. Does he allow penetration often? How is he with nose tackles? Is he effective at creating holes? Educate me on why Hangartner is equal in value to Fowler.

Please explain to me what you don't like about Hangartner's game. If you don't know anything about him as a football player, then you aren't qualified to rate the signing or compare him to Fowler. Does he allow penetration often? How is he with nose tackles? Is he effective at creating holes? Educate me on why Hangartner is equal in value to Fowler.

oh snap

it does not matter if the FO thought we needed a starting center we should have signed the center from the ravens, but we keep trying to find that cheap diamond in the ruff.

How exactly were we supposed to sign Jason Brown, who's name you dont even seem to know other than you read on the internet he was the best center available, but I would bet you dont know why? His agent sent him to St. Louis first where they over paid for him with a contract he couldnt refuse...

And what sources do you have that tell you we didnt try to get him here or at least inquire about him? Just because you dont read on the internet doesnt mean it didnt happen. 80% of what goes on in FA isnt going to be reported...

I swear, some posters act like you just go out and buy a guy as if the free agent has no say in the matter...

So it's just as easy as that, right?

Exactly, "that guy from the Ravens" (his name is Brown) was so in demand because he was such a great Centre that his own team didn't want him back, and the onlyteam willing to give him an offer was the Rams, where he desperatly tried to not sign with, but had to when no one stepped upto give him a comparible offer. But of course he is the only choice to be a starting centre.

You do realise that the guy they did sign has been a starter before and played well, well enough his old team did want him back but couldn't safford to sign him, and he onlylost the starting job because the other guy played better. When he came in, I belive their running game actually improved a little bit, and he has experience working against the jets 3-4 nose tackle (probably the better nose tackle the Bills face in their division) when Jenkins played in Carolina.

There are many ways to address FA's. Overpay for top tier guys that are not guaranteed, or may be on their last legs and are living off their name, or sign backups/second tier guys with potential that may be able to step in and be an improvement over what you had.

How exactly were we supposed to sign Jason Brown, who's name you dont even seem to know other than you read on the internet he was the best center available, but I would bet you dont know why? His agent sent him to St. Louis first where they over paid for him with a contract he couldnt refuse...

And what sources do you have that tell you we didnt try to get him here or at least inquire about him? Just because you dont read on the internet doesnt mean it didnt happen. 80% of what goes on in FA isnt going to be reported...

I swear, some posters act like you just go out and buy a guy as if the free agent has no say in the matter...

He tried to refuse, he even called the Ravens back up to try and get them to send him a comparible offer, butthey weren't interested, and no one else wanted to offer him anything anywhere near what the Rams were. He didn't want to sign there and desperatlytried to get some other teamsinterest, but there was no other interest for his price

The Bills have already said they would not be spending that kind of money on an interior linemen