Paul Pozluszny's Combine Numbers

It seems that many if not most of Bills Nation is disappointed so far with the Poz. I am not one of those people. Last year was basically his rookie year and he wasn't exactly surrounded by premium talent. We'll know more after this year.

Here's his combine numbers from last year:

Combine Invite: Yes

Height: 6015

Weight: 238

40 Yrd Dash: 4.70

20 Yrd Dash: 2.73

10 Yrd Dash: 1.56

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 22

Vertical Jump: 37

Broad Jump: 09'08"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.20

3-Cone Drill: 6.94

He actually ran 3 40's: 4.63, 4.70, and 4.71. He ran a 4.58 at his Pro Day.

It's nice to be able to compare these numbers to this year's combine numbers. As I stated early on we don't know how close the speed of the playing surface at Lucas Oil Stadium compares to the one at the Hoosier Dome.

But his numbers from his combine would make him the 6th fastest linebacker this year. His vertical jump would have tied for 1st this year. His bench press would not put him in the top ten. His 3 cone drill would place him 4th. His 20 yard shuttle would tie him for 3rd. Great workout.

But it's his football intelligence and passion that teams loved. At the end of his Bills' career he will be a much beloved player.

Great post. Poz is judged harshly for his play in essentially his rookie year. often accused of only making tackles 8 yards down field. I think he has the potential to be a great MLB....last year he dealt with the play calling responsibilities and a DL in front of him that was pushed back 5 yards each play....a year under his belt calling the defense should help make it more natural, and therefore his ability to react vs. think will improve...if the DL is addressed he should have more oppurtunities to make tackles closer to the line of scrimmage....it was the year before Baltimore drafted Ngata that Ray Lewis found his play suffering -- and he made it clear he needed a DL that would clean up in front so he could make plays.

Great post. Poz is judged harshly for his play in essentially his rookie year. often accused of only making tackles 8 yards down field. I think he has the potential to be a great MLB....last year he dealt with the play calling responsibilities and a DL in front of him that was pushed back 5 yards each play....a year under his belt calling the defense should help make it more natural, and therefore his ability to react vs. think will improve...if the DL is addressed he should have more oppurtunities to make tackles closer to the line of scrimmage....it was the year before Baltimore drafted Ngata that Ray Lewis found his play suffering -- and he made it clear he needed a DL that would clean up in front so he could make plays.

"potential to be a great middle linebacker" Like Dick Butkus great?

How about good to very good?

"potential to be a great middle linebacker" Like Dick Butkus great?

How about good to very good?

I think Butkus - Singletary - Lewis are in a category above simply "great". But if your hung up on the term "great" vs. the point of my response we can change it.

he has the potential to be good or maybe even very good, but probably not great...at least not Butkus great.

I think the jury is still out on him. Its hard for ANY MLB to do much of anything if the guys up front don't do their job. A good-above average FA DLineman should help a lot. Hopefully we get one in FA. Drafting an interior DLineman takes a year or two to develope. Both a FA and Drafting one would be nice. We shall see.

Interesting post.

Yet, it would have been nice not to have seen him run over by Clinton Portis at the goal line in the preseason. I would love to see the guy take on blockers more rather than try to run around them.

I have not given up on PP, but I certainly would have liked to have seen him perform better. At this stage in his career, he certainly is no Patrick Willis or Shane Conlan (the guy he is most often compared to).

It was essentially his rookie year. He got a lot of experience. I really hope that he steps it up this year.

Well I felt it needed to be posted for two reasons.

There seems to be a lot of Poz hater out there and I was curious as to what they had to say.

Secondly everyone's excited about the workout times at the combine so it's a good comparison and also a reminder to people how much value workout times may or may not have.

Interesting post.

Yet, it would have been nice not to have seen him run over by Clinton Portis at the goal line in the preseason. I would love to see the guy take on blockers more rather than try to run around them.

I have not given up on PP, but I certainly would have liked to have seen him perform better. At this stage in his career, he certainly is no Patrick Willis or Shane Conlan (the guy he is most often compared to).

It was essentially his rookie year. He got a lot of experience. I really hope that he steps it up this year.

Conlan

1987 114 tkl - .5 sacks - 0 int - 1 FF

1988 84 tkl - 1.5 sack - 1 int - 1 ff

Total For Career -- 5 INT 6FF 0TD

PP

2008 110 tkl - 0 sack - 1 FF - 1INT

Interesting post.

You are really bringing up a preseason game in what was essentially his first real game action in over a year???

Poz had a very solid year. The defense improved from 31st to 14th. I'm willing to guess a MLB would have some influence on that improvement.

Anyone who hated on Poz last year is laughable. It was essentially his rookie year and we had virtually no pass rush without blitzing our LBs. This overreaction by fans after every game is the crappy part about sports. Players need time to develop. Peopel had insane expectations for Poz because of his school and the fact he was Polish. He played very well for a 2nd round rookie LB. He should only improve and will be a rock on our LBing core for years to come.

Poz may develop into a good one. I give him a pass for inexperience, but he doesn't seem to be a fluid player, or despite his 'combine' excellence, a very athletic one. He looked stiff, and not particularly physical throughout the season. It may be that the game is still a bit to quick for him to process, and that eventually the body will comply with what the brain commands.

Silly stats. :rolleyes: And last time I checked, Chris Kelsay isn't exactly Bruce Smith. Close thoguh.

Bruce Smith

85 = 48 tkl - 6.5 sks - 0 FF - 0 int

86 = 63 tkl - 15 sks - 3FF - 0 INT

87 = 78 tkl - 12 sks - 3 FF - 0 INT

88 = 56 tkl - 11 sks - 3 FF - 0INT

89 = 88tkl - 13 sks - 0 FF - 0 INT

90 = 101tkl - 19sks - 4FF - 0 INT

Kelsay

03 = 19 tkl - 0 - 0 - 0

04 = 37 tkl - 4.5 sks - 1 FF 1 int

05 = 44 tkl - 2.5 - 1 FF - 1 INT

06 = 61 tkl - 5.5 sks - 1 - 0

07 = 43 tkl - 2.5 sks - 0 - 1

08 = 47tkl - 2 sks - 0 - 0

Guess your right

You are really bringing up a preseason game in what was essentially his first real game action in over a year???

Poz had a very solid year. The defense improved from 31st to 14th. I'm willing to guess a MLB would have some influence on that improvement.

Anyone who hated on Poz last year is laughable. It was essentially his rookie year and we had virtually no pass rush without blitzing our LBs. This overreaction by fans after every game is the crappy part about sports. Players need time to develop. Peopel had insane expectations for Poz because of his school and the fact he was Polish. He played very well for a 2nd round rookie LB. He should only improve and will be a rock on our LBing core for years to come.

When I saw that play, I said to myself that pro bowler Clinton Portis wanted to get into the endzone in that preseason game more than PP wanted to stop him. Portis ran right over him.

That is when I started to get worried.

As for the rest, I do not hate PP. I hope that he does improve and play up to the way we all hoped that he would play.

Conlan

1987 114 tkl - .5 sacks - 0 int - 1 FF

1988 84 tkl - 1.5 sack - 1 int - 1 ff

Total For Career -- 5 INT 6FF 0TD

PP

2008 110 tkl - 0 sack - 1 FF - 1INT

How many of Conlan's tackles were five to ten yards down field.

Conlan also did not have a habit of getting run over by anyone or of runnin around blockers and not filling holes.

We can only hope that PP becomes the type of LB that Conlan was. I really hope that he does.