Connor Barwin from Cincinnatti

H2o

Conner Barwin is another one of those "tweeners" according to the "draft experts", but he is making his case at the combine. He was a top performer in every drill amongst the DL group except the bench press. He ran a 4.66 40(2nd), a 40.5" vertical(tops), a 10'8" broad jump(tops), a 6.87 in the 3-cone drill(tops), and a 4.18 in the 20-yard shuttle(tops). So basically he was the best in everything except the bench press(which includes DT's) and the 40, which he was 2nd in. He's 6'4" and weighed in at 256lbs. We are talking about drills like the broad jump and vertical showing explosion? He placed first. The 3-cone drill is an excellent way to measure agility. He placed first. The 20 yards shuttle measures acceleration. He placed first. We might want to seriously start taking a look at this guy. This past season he had 15.5 TFL, 7 passes defensed, and 11 sacks. Sounds like he has what we're looking for. He'd be able to drop back in short areas off the line of scrimage to play pass defense as well as rush the passer.

Yes, he played DE for Cincinnatti and was explosive coming off of the corner. He's also very versitile as evidenced because he played on ST as caught 31 passes for 400 yards as a Junior. He made the switch to DE for his Senior year after the coaches talked him ito it. He was a natural for the position and they said it looked like he'd been playing DE his whole life. The only thing I'm not sure about is how he fared against the run. In the couple of Cincy games I saw this year he played well. He's fast enough to run down plays from the backside.

Another guy who we may not be able to get because of our draft position. 11 seems too high for him but he wont be around in the second. The more I think about it, I am totally cool with reaching for the best DL in rd 1, then targeting the top c/te's in rds 2 and 3. Nic Harris in round 4 would be icing on the cake.

Another guy who we may not be able to get because of our draft position. 11 seems too high for him but he wont be around in the second. The more I think about it, I am totally cool with reaching for the best DL in rd 1, then targeting the top c/te's in rds 2 and 3. Nic Harris in round 4 would be icing on the cake.

He's kind of a SS/LB that might not have the speed to play S in the NFL. I don't know. He's a solid player though that "lowers the boom" when he hits somebody.

Conner Barwin is another one of those "tweeners" according to the "draft experts", but he is making his case at the combine. He was a top performer in every drill amongst the DL group except the bench press. He ran a 4.66 40(2nd), a 40.5" vertical(tops), a 10'8" broad jump(tops), a 6.87 in the 3-cone drill(tops), and a 4.18 in the 20-yard shuttle(tops). So basically he was the best in everything except the bench press(which includes DT's) and the 40, which he was 2nd in. He's 6'4" and weighed in at 256lbs. We are talking about drills like the broad jump and vertical showing explosion? He placed first. The 3-cone drill is an excellent way to measure agility. He placed first. The 20 yards shuttle measures acceleration. He placed first. We might want to seriously start taking a look at this guy. This past season he had 15.5 TFL, 7 passes defensed, and 11 sacks. Sounds like he has what we're looking for. He'd be able to drop back in short areas off the line of scrimage to play pass defense as well as rush the passer.

See previous posts from stuckincincy and udonkey.

:thumbsup:

He's kind of a SS/LB that might not have the speed to play S in the NFL. I don't know. He's a solid player though that "lowers the boom" when he hits somebody.

I know he wont play S in the NFL, I want him at LB. I think he will be a stud. A cato June type but better

I had the Bills taking him in the second but his size is a concern in our useless scheme

This guy looks good at DE, but you're right. It would be 'reaching" to take him at 11, but we may be wise to do it. He'll be a great OLB or DE for somebody behind us if we pass.

Bad DE, good TE.

you hardly ever offer too much substance behind your answers. I don't doubt you, but can you elaborate a little bit more other than Bad DE, good TE.

He had 30 some odd receptions as a TE and had 11 sacks his only year as a DE. It seems to me that your in depth analysis is not supported by his production.

you hardly ever offer too much substance behind your answers. I don't doubt you, but can you elaborate a little bit more other than Bad DE, good TE.

He had 30 some odd receptions as a TE and had 11 sacks his only year as a DE. It seems to me that your in depth analysis is not supported by his production.

I wasn't aware that you hang onto all my posts waiting for my "in depth analysis." Well, from now on, I'll run to my computer and spew my thoughts because I know you're anxiously awaiting at your computer.

I've watched Barwin play, and I just don't see the strength and explosion needed to win against NFL tackles. He's a nice player, and should get some sacks at the next level, but he's not going to be anything better than we already have. That, to me, is a wasted pick.

However, I also watched him play TE. During the Senior Bowl practices, I'd say he had the best separation against the linebackers and safeties in the one-on-one coverage drills. He looked quicker than at DE, which caught me off guard. The only problem was his hands. He seems unsure of himself, but this can be taught. If he had a little more confidence catching the ball, I think he could be very good as a TE.

Barwin's strong showing might loft him into a difficult spot for us, like Poz did: would we need to trade up/down to take him in the early 2nd/late 1st?

He's a LDE, so the position is right for us. He also led the Big East in sacks (eleven), and pressure's hugely important to Modrak (see his latest video).

The other thing is that Barwin was a former TE.

Astro

I wasn't aware that you hang onto all my posts waiting for my "in depth analysis." Well, from now on, I'll run to my computer and spew my thoughts because I know you're anxiously awaiting at your computer.

I've watched Barwin play, and I just don't see the strength and explosion needed to win against NFL tackles. He's a nice player, and should get some sacks at the next level, but he's not going to be anything better than we already have. That, to me, is a wasted pick.

However, I also watched him play TE. During the Senior Bowl practices, I'd say he had the best separation against the linebackers and safeties in the one-on-one coverage drills. He looked quicker than at DE, which caught me off guard. The only problem was his hands. He seems unsure of himself, but this can be taught. If he had a little more confidence catching the ball, I think he could be very good as a TE.

You see, that wasn't too difficult.

But I'm glad you wrote that. That was more "in depth" than "good TE bad DE"

I havnt seen him play, I don't watch that conference. His intangibles are impressive and considering he has only played one year at the DE position, He had tremendous production. That to me says that he would be a project player with lots of possible upside.

I can't wait for your next post, I'm getting anxious.

You see, that wasn't too difficult.

But I'm glad you wrote that. That was more "in depth" than "good TE bad DE"

I havnt seen him play, I don't watch that conference. His intangibles are impressive and considering he has only played one year at the DE position, He had tremendous production. That to me says that he would be a project player with lots of possible upside.

I can't wait for your next post, I'm getting anxious.

I hadn't realized that was his only year at DE. Maybe that is the reason he is rated so high, because I just don't see it. But, nevertheless, I seem to be the only one that feels this way, so I guess that's sayin' somethin.

See previous posts from stuckincincy and udonkey.

:devil:

Yes sir...despite the popular notion that the lowly Bearcats won the Big East because it was a down year, they did have some NFL caliber talent that was steering the ship

:D

And I must say, while I still love the Buffalo Bills, I've never been more excited about a football season than I am this upcoming UC schedule!

I have seen him lose contain on a number of occasions, but we're used to that with our existing DE's. He IS very quick to the QB, though...sometimes it's just that the QB is no longer at that spot. :devil:

The Bills are talking situational pass rusher. He is very raw only one year as a DE. He could be a guy who plays on passing downs as a rookie and by his second or third year really comes on