Just read Watchmen graphic novel

PromoTheRobot

I just finished the Watchmen graphic novel. I don't want to share my feelings on it yet so as not to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it or seen the movie. I can see why many in Hollywood felt that it could not be made into a movie. I can see it's non-linear storytelling influence on Lost.

PTR

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My buddy happened to have the novel lying around one day so I picked it up and started to enjoy it. I ended up only getting through about 30 pages but it seemed like a pretty interesting book. From what I've seen, the movie looks like it is going to be pretty cool. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the graphic novel and hopefully catching the movie.

The rumor is that the ending of the movie will be different than the ending of the novel.

I read something similar. There are some parts that had to left out for time. I'm curious to see how the ending turns out. They swear the movie is true to the comic. We'll see.

PTR

I read the thing in a day and a half and loved it. While I didn't think that the actual ending was predictable, I thought that the person behind it was. I cannot wait to see it!

Lucky you. I read it when it first came out. Took a year from beginning to end for all the issues to come out. Can't wait for the 6th.

The rumor is that the ending of the movie will be different than the ending of the novel.

It's no rumor. The director has confirmed it. I won't bother searching for the link, but it shouldn't be that hard to find.

It's no rumor. The director has confirmed it. I won't bother searching for the link, but it shouldn't be that hard to find.

I believe that quote is in Entertainment Weekly. Frankly if you change the ending you change the whole story. The Pirate thing I never got in the first place. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

PTR

I believe that quote is in Entertainment Weekly. Frankly if you change the ending you change the whole story. The Pirate thing I never got in the first place. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

PTR

According to Wikipedia: "Moore has said that the story of The Black Freighter ends up specifically describing 'the story of (Don't highlight unless you know the ending of Watchmen) Adrian Veldt' ". I have a hard time seeing that; though there are some similarities, it isn't an excellent parallel. I do like the pirate story- though I admit upon first reading Watchmen I was annoyed by it, because I wanted so much to continue with the main story. As far as the ending change, I think they are just changing the means, not the ends, if you catch my drift. I was pissed at first, but I'm going to give it a chance, I trust Snyder.

PTR

It'll be the same ending, minus the alien space squid. Everyone will face the same outcome, but in a way that will be far more realisitic. Other than Dr. Manhattan, this story has a good feel of realism to it... well, everything but the squid.

According to Wikipedia: "Moore has said that the story of The Black Freighter ends up specifically describing 'the story of (Don't highlight unless you know the ending of Watchmen) Adrian Veldt' ". I have a hard time seeing that; though there are some similarities, it isn't an excellent parallel. I do like the pirate story- though I admit upon first reading Watchmen I was annoyed by it, because I wanted so much to continue with the main story. As far as the ending change, I think they are just changing the means, not the ends, if you catch my drift. I was pissed at first, but I'm going to give it a chance, I trust Snyder.

I admit there is a parallel between Freighter and Watchmen but you really have to strain to get it. Let's say it didn't exactly leap out at me. That's why I thought I was missing something.

PTR

I admit there is a parallel between Freighter and Watchmen but you really have to strain to get it. Let's say it didn't exactly leap out at me. That's why I thought I was missing something.

PTR

I got the meaning but thought the Freightor thing was dumb. If the story doesn't end with the stupid squid, I'll be happy.

I liked Watchmen but I have no idea why people spooge over it.

I got the meaning but thought the Freightor thing was dumb. If the story doesn't end with the stupid squid, I'll be happy.

I was not going to offer an opinion until the film came out...but since you did, I too felt the story was a tad weak. Still I look forward to the film.

PTR

PTR

It's acknowledged so much because it was a turning point in comics. Along with The Dark Knight Returns, it started the era of gritter stories about heroes with questionable character and methods, who often broke the rules in order to enforce them, and has had a lasting effect on the comic industry.

Lucky you. I read it when it first came out. Took a year from beginning to end for all the issues to come out. Can't wait for the 6th.

I just pulled out the 12 original Watchmen issues.

I pulled all the V for Vendetta comics when it came out too.

I also dug out reprints of The Spirit but have not read them. Will Eisner was a gas!