Just read Watchmen graphic novel

PromoTheRobot

My issue with the movie was with the ending, but not the change that was made (blaming Dr. M vs having a giant squid) but the decision not to show the piles of bodies in NY........Moore's novel was violent to generate a emotional response and make the "compromise" ending much harder for the reader to swallow. Most people I was with didn't get that "I can't believe this" vibe. Snyder wasn't allowed by the studio to show bodies piled in the streets of NY like the GN......

I actually thought he needed to show real human emotion to achieve the "I can't believe this" factor. Simply seeing bodies(or people dying) has become so very distanced from the viewing audience. I remember 9/11(who doesn't). The sheer gravitas of the situation left everyone stunned. IMO this was the sort of response needed to be shown amongst the main characters(and around the world) for the full effect of the 'twist' to be effective.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of the book & thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one area I thought they screwed up in was when Rorschach goes dark. The 5 year old kidnap victim. The scene would have been better IMO with the original script.

I hadn't read the book, but just saw the movie and loved it. I read the synopsis on wikipedia, which helped me get through parts that others in the theater may have been struggling with. Question: What is different about the book and the movie on the 5 year old kidnapping?

I hadn't read the book, but just saw the movie and loved it. I read the synopsis on wikipedia, which helped me get through parts that others in the theater may have been struggling with. Question: What is different about the book and the movie on the 5 year old kidnapping?

Purely from memory, so someone with the comic handy correct me.

He handcuffs the guy to a spot (I think the furnace the little girl was burned in), sets the house on fire and throws him a hacksaw. Says something like, "It will take you 10 minutes to cut through the handcuffs. Only two to cut through your wrist, the fire will kill you in less than five. I doubt you have what it takes to live."

Then he walks out, and there is an agonized scream, the guy never makes it out. A very chilling moment in the book and the movie didn't do it justice IMO.