Be a man, admit you were wrong!

whiteboy

Let's hear from all these people who were ready to lynch Tom Donahoe for the Willis McGahee draft pick. Three weeks ago all half the people on this board could talk about was how Donahoe's ego screwed the Bills by taking a chance on Willis.

Where are all those people who honestly thought TD got hosed by Willis's agent?

It looks like Willis might just pan out afterall.

Come on now, fess up!

woo frickin hoo...

the guy has two good games and all the sudden he's the next OJ?

Didn't we hear the same thing about Quentin Griffith?

Not only this but perhaps...just perhaps....we could be in better shape than 8-15 in our last 23 games if TD would have taken someone who could have made a difference while it mattered.

two starts= two 100 yard games.

This is from a 22 year old kid coming off major reconstructive knee surgury. Nobody is saying he is the next OJ, but seeing as it took Jamal Lewis and Edgerin James two full years to come back 100% from a similar injury, chances are he will be a pretty good running back in this league.

Looks to me like the kid has a pretty good set of hands and can throw a block or two.

As far as contributing "when it matters", neither Willis or TD had any control over Willis' lack of PT in the first 5 games.

Just remember, he should be a senior in college right now and is getting paid like a late second rounder.

Seems like a good pick to me.

I don't think that anyone had a problem with Willis MCGahee as a player. What most were pointing out, self included, was that Willis was not a need at the time we drafted him, and this team was not really in the position to be drafting risky propositions with their #1 picks. I never saw anyone say that McGahee would suck. Conversely, there were an awful lot of people, self included, who had nothing but praise for Travis Henry most of last season, and in the off-season. Now, you would think the guy was the equivalant of Ryan Leif at RB. People forget, Travis did not have a great start last season either, even in the first two weeks.

My point is, football fans are very fickle. So say McGahee blows that knee out again (heaven forbid!), does everyone go back to thinking it was a bad pick? No matter how good Willis turns out, I still say TD took a big gamble with that pick. A bigger gamble than most draft picks are. Thing about gambling is, sometimes you win....

I don't think that anyone had a problem with Willis MCGahee as a player.  What most were pointing out, self included, was that Willis was not a need at the time we drafted him, and this team was not really in the position to be drafting risky propositions with their #1 picks. I never saw anyone say that McGahee would suck.  Conversely, there were an awful lot of people, self included, who had nothing but praise for Travis Henry most of last season, and in the off-season.  Now, you would think the guy was the equivalant of Ryan Leif at RB.  People forget, Travis did not have a great start last season either, even in the first two weeks.

My point is, football fans are very fickle.  So say McGahee blows that knee out again (heaven forbid!), does everyone go back to thinking it was a bad pick?  No matter how good Willis turns out, I still say TD took a big gamble with that pick. A bigger gamble than most draft picks are.  Thing about gambling is, sometimes you win....

94577[/snapback]

I'm not sure if you saw the game yesterday, but for those that did not, let me say that McGahee is the REAL DEAL. He's electric, he's powerful, he's exciting and he was amped up. Baring injury, this guy will be an elite back in the NFL for a long time to come...believe it.

As far as the pick goes, I'd personally say that it was TD's pick to gamble with. He single-handedly manufactured the pick from nothing at all when he tagged Peerless Price and held out for the 1st rounder from Atlanta - Price was gone anyway. He produced it out of thin air and spent it as he saw fit. The thing that nobody can answer is who should TD have taken anyway? Kelsay? That's the guy everyone was saying we should take at the time, but we got him in the second round regardless.

Personally, I'm really glad McGahee is on this team. I like Henry and all, but he has shown absolutely nothing this year and Willis seems to be a spark to get this offense going. Instead of bitching about needing another running back due to Henry's shortcomings this year, we've got one of the best young prospects in the league ready to step in now. Anyone who doesn't like the pick as of right now is just hating TD IMHO.

Willis! Willis! Willis! (I love the endzone)

Let's hear from all these people who were ready to lynch Tom Donahoe for the Willis McGahee draft pick.  Three weeks ago all half the people on this board could talk about was how Donahoe's ego screwed the Bills by taking a chance on Willis.

Come on now,  fess up!

94378[/snapback]

Now, now admit to what? I admit he's a good to great player and I still think it was a dumb ass pick. Why? Because it was a risky proposition at best and not a gamble a team that needed sure thing picks to rebuild. As good as Willis is, I still say the team would be better off with one solid pick or trade with that pick in one of these categories:

1) O-line (Guard or Center)

2) Defensive end

3) Possibly a speed WR (or even a DB)

But now I that Willis is here and playing, I am gonna enjoy Donahue's "mistake." God knows he hasn't done much of anything else except sell luxury boxes.

Charles

Now, now admit to what?  I admit he's a good to great player and I still think it was a dumb ass pick.  Why? Because it was a risky proposition at best and not a gamble a team that needed sure thing picks to rebuild.  As good as Willis is, I still say the team would be better off with one solid pick or trade with that pick in one of these categories:

2) Defensive end

But now I that Willis is here and playing, I am gonna enjoy Donahue's "mistake."  God knows he hasn't done much of anything else except sell luxury boxes.

Charles

94792[/snapback]

By that logic, Mike Williams was a great pick at number 4. We needed a tackle and everyone was sure he was going to be the real deal, yet he has not yet paid off. Everyone blasts TD for that pick, so he should get credit for the McGahee pick.

Simple as that.

two starts= two 100 yard games.

This is from a 22 year old kid coming off major reconstructive knee surgury.  Nobody is saying he is the next OJ,  but seeing as it took Jamal Lewis and Edgerin James two full years to come back 100% from a similar injury,  chances are he will be a pretty good running back in this league.

Looks to me like the kid has a pretty good set of hands and can throw a block or two.

As far as contributing "when it matters",  neither Willis or TD had any control over Willis' lack of PT in the first 5 games.

Just remember,  he should be a senior in college right now and is getting paid like a late second rounder.

Seems like a good pick to me.

94401[/snapback]

With an agent like Rosenhaus, a friend in Ray Lewis, and a University of Miami pedigree, he is well on his way to becoming the next OJ (a criminal). :D

Seriously, he looks good. I was a bit disappointed that he got caught from behind by a DE (he may have had an angle on WM). Hopefully, he can continue to improve his game and stay healthy. He needs to perform week after week.

With an agent like Rosenhaus, a friend in Ray Lewis, and a University of Miami pedigree, he is well on his way to becoming the next OJ (a criminal). :D

Seriously, he looks good.  I was a bit disappointed that he got caught from behind by a DE (he may have had an angle on WM).  Hopefully, he can continue to improve his game and stay healthy.  He needs to perform week after week.

95694[/snapback]

He wasn't caught from behind because he is too slow...he was caught from behind because he was attempting to cut it inside because a WR missed a block and he wasn't going to be able to get the first down by running to the sideline.

Now, now admit to what?  I admit he's a good to great player and I still think it was a dumb ass pick.  Why? Because it was a risky proposition at best and not a gamble a team that needed sure thing picks to rebuild.  As good as Willis is, I still say the team would be better off with one solid pick or trade with that pick in one of these categories:

2) Defensive end

But now I that Willis is here and playing, I am gonna enjoy Donahue's "mistake."  God knows he hasn't done much of anything else except sell luxury boxes.

Charles

94792[/snapback]

I think in the modern NFL operating within the growing partnership between the NFL and NFLPA that the draft is an important part of building a team capable of winning (or even appearing in) an SB. However, I think many TSW posters are flat out wrong with the observation that they key to a team is the draft. The keys to building a winning team are mult-faceted and the draft is part of it. However, the most important part of it in recent experience has been good braintrust make great FA pick-ups which really make the difference.

One need go little further than look at the NE teams which won 2 of the last three SBs to see that in 2001 they picked up about 1/3 of their team from cap casualties and other cuts available after June 1st. Last year BB made great pick-ups and attracted players like Rodney Harrison to lead the squad.

Even to the extent that the draft was a key to this team, it has been low-level 6th round picks like Tom Brady rather than high profile picks like first rounder Seymour whom ost people judge draft quality by who have made the difference.

So too does this issue become important when considering the WM choice. Sure one can invest in 20/20 hindsight to suggest that a TD missed the boat and some later selected player was the right choice (I've done this myself) but the real deal to me is that TD did a great job taking a flyer and risk on WM that his peers would not take and so farso good this risk seems to be paying off, Picking WM was the only way to get a top 5 guy with a 20-something pick and it is simply to easy for a top 5 pick to turn out to be Ryan Leaf or Mike Williams.

If folks want to admit anything simply admit that TD has gotten a weapon for the Bills because he had the cojones to take a risk few of his peers would take. Given that he acquired not simply a great player but the injury allowed for cap management which allows us to get this player for a song. It is simply a great move.

Let's hear from all these people who were ready to lynch Tom Donahoe for the Willis McGahee draft pick.  Three weeks ago all half the people on this board could talk about was how Donahoe's ego screwed the Bills by taking a chance on Willis.

Come on now,  fess up!

94378[/snapback]

While I am totally hoping that Willis makes the HOF in a bills uniform.....I think that even though he is bandaiding a lot of ills on our team the jury is going to be out till next year.....

- When I dont hold my breath every time he looks like he is getting up slow from a hit......and not give it a thought

- When I see this speed I keep hearing about that he flashed for his size....

I dont think he is all the way back.....but it is good enough for right now........

by the way....I dont bash the GM's picks....I never have

By that logic, Mike Williams was a great pick at number 4.  We needed a tackle and everyone was sure he was going to be the real deal, yet he has not yet paid off.  Everyone blasts TD for that pick, so he should get credit for the McGahee pick.

Simple as that.

95668[/snapback]

No, it's not. Mike Williams and McKinney were the chic picks for the O-line in that draft. I can't fault TD for that pick. However, I do think they could have done better background research on MW. That'd just due diligence. MW's lack of productivity is mostly on Williams, IMHO. I feel TD did the best he could have under the circumstances.

McGahee, I maintain, was still a risky pick. I also suppose it also depends on what you think is a good return on investment(ROI) with that pick. It still remains to be seen if the knee holds up to a rigorous NFL season and really...a career.

It's nice to watch Willis - don't get me wrong. But I guess as they say - it's better to be lucky than smart...TD wasn't smart, just lucky with the McGahee pick.

Charles

Come on now,  fess up!

94378[/snapback]

I remember thinking on draft day 98' that Sam Cowart was a highly questionable pick because of his injury history in college. He put out a couple very good seasons and one great half season and was looking like a great pick, until he suffered knee and achilles injuries and went directly to washed-up.

Brittle players tend to stay brittle. Willis is built like a truck, but he he is NOT a first time ACL recovery story. He blew one out in his senior year in HS, redshirted, played sparingly as a back-up FB as a RS freshman, and in his first season as a starter got his knee wrecked. Before he justifies anything he needs to produce at a very high level and prove he can be durable. Good RB's are still a dime-a-dozen, and a fragile featured-RB is less than worthless, he is a detriment to the development of a team.

I remember thinking on draft day 98' that Sam Cowart was a highly questionable pick because of his injury history in college.  He put out a couple very good seasons and one great half season and was looking like a great pick,  until he suffered knee and achilles injuries and went directly to washed-up.

Brittle players tend to stay brittle.  Willis is built like a truck, but he he is NOT a first time ACL recovery story.  He blew one out in his senior year in HS, redshirted, played sparingly as a back-up FB as a RS freshman, and in his first season as a starter got his knee wrecked.  Before he justifies anything he needs to produce at a very high level and prove he can be durable.  Good RB's are still a dime-a-dozen,  and a fragile featured-RB is less than worthless, he is a detriment to the development of a team.

95832[/snapback]

Like I said yesterday - :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Frank Middleton. Cheapshotting gutless puke, ruining Cowart.

hey - did everyone make it home OK? Not sure what the heck was going on when you guys were leaving... after I saw Buddha with his shirt off, I averted my eyes... :doh:

I remember thinking on draft day 98' that Sam Cowart was a highly questionable pick because of his injury history in college.  He put out a couple very good seasons and one great half season and was looking like a great pick,  until he suffered knee and achilles injuries and went directly to washed-up.

Brittle players tend to stay brittle.  Willis is built like a truck, but he he is NOT a first time ACL recovery story.  He blew one out in his senior year in HS, redshirted, played sparingly as a back-up FB as a RS freshman, and in his first season as a starter got his knee wrecked.  Before he justifies anything he needs to produce at a very high level and prove he can be durable.  Good RB's are still a dime-a-dozen,  and a fragile featured-RB is less than worthless, he is a detriment to the development of a team.

95832[/snapback]

To a lesser degree, Thurman was a dice roll also. Hurt in high school and again his junior year at Oklahoma St. ( tore 2 ligaments ) . I'm willing to give Willis a chance.