Who wants to spend the 11th Pick

Chris Brown's interview with Perry Fewell was pretty interesting. I thought Fewell was pretty open and frank and didn't sense he was "smoke-screening" for the organization.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1...ad-5490bc44c9d6

The subject was improving the pass rush to get more sacks and turnovers. Fewell said that he wouldn't be opposed to drafting a situational pass rusher in the 1st round who didn't play every down.

It goes without saying that we'd all like an every-down player at #11.

But hypothetically if we were guaranteed of getting a guy who would get 15 sacks and could be counted on to pressure the quarterback consistently, would we want him even if he only played on passing downs?

Chris Brown's interview with Perry Fewell was pretty interesting. I thought Fewell was pretty open and frank and didn't sense he was "smoke-screening" for the organization.

The subject was improving the pass rush to get more sacks and turnovers. Fewell said that he wouldn't be opposed to drafting a situational pass rusher in the 1st round who didn't play every down.

But hypothetically if we were guaranteed of getting a guy who would get 15 sacks and could be counted on to pressure the quarterback consistently, would we want him even if he only played on passing downs?

pretty tall guarantee and one that is not likely to come to fruition ... I'd pass based on the realistic risks in your scenario

I'm sure Fewell would be fine with getting a new toy on defense, but I'm not so sure that the front office would want to burn the 11th overall pick on a part time player. For my part, I have reservations about it even in rounds 2 and 3.

One Corey Moore is enough.

Third down has become almost painful to watch w/ the Bills. If they can get someone to help provide a consistent pass rush w/ the 11th pick, even if the person is not an every down player, I'd be for it. They need more substance (center who can control the A gap and make good calls, linebacker that can wreak havoc, pass rushing DEs) than style (DBs, WRs, RBs, QBs).

I'm sure Fewell would be fine with getting a new toy on defense, but I'm not so sure that the front office would want to burn the 11th overall pick on a part time player. For my part, I have reservations about it even in rounds 2 and 3.

One Corey Moore is enough.

Come on man, I liked Corey Moore - didn't he do something once?

Seriously though, the idea of a situational guy coming in at the top of the draft actually sits well with me. I really think that the team is missing some of the more specialized players. Who's to say that is they took Maybin and have him play 3 downs, but two as an LB and one as a DE. He's kind of a situational guy, but still plays and contributes. I don't really care if the guy doesn't have a true, single position, just as long as they get him on the field. I think in the past with these types of players, the team has tried to make them into a single position player, thus elimintaing their redeeming qualities as Fewell calls them. A guy who moves around to a few different positions depending on the situation allows the DC the ability to cover up their weaknesses by putting them in situations they can excell at and not asking them to do things they will fail at. It sounds simple, but the Bills hardly do this.

Come on man, I liked Corey Moore - didn't he do something once?

Seriously though, the idea of a situational guy coming in at the top of the draft actually sits well with me. I really think that the team is missing some of the more specialized players. Who's to say that is they took Maybin and have him play 3 downs, but two as an LB and one as a DE. He's kind of a situational guy, but still plays and contributes. I don't really care if the guy doesn't have a true, single position, just as long as they get him on the field. I think in the past with these types of players, the team has tried to make them into a single position player, thus elimintaing their redeeming qualities as Fewell calls them. A guy who moves around to a few different positions depending on the situation allows the DC the ability to cover up their weaknesses by putting them in situations they can excell at and not asking them to do things they will fail at. It sounds simple, but the Bills hardly do this.

If the guy plays on all downs, I don't have a problem with it, so if he's playing some at OLB and DE, that's fine. That said, I think drafting Maybin as an OLB is an even bigger mistake, given that he has no experience in coverage. I see him strictly as a DE in a 4-3, and if the Bills draft him, he'll likely be a situational pass rusher for a couple of years at the very least. Realistically, I doubt he'd post more than 6-8 sacks per year in that role in the best case scenario.

The way I see it, its like this: the Bills passing attack sucks, so why not draft Percy Harvin to be the Bills' 3rd WR? If he catches 6 TD passes a year, its worth it, right, even if he only plays is 40% of the time?

Of course not and neither is Maybin if he only plays 15-20 snaps per game.

I'd go along with this, if we get the right situational pass rusher. The Tampa-2 lives and dies by getting pressure from the front 4. if one of those front 4 is the next Simeon Rice, it would be a good use of our first round pick!

This is Perry Fewell the DC remember. I'm sure if they asked the O-Line coach that he would say drafting a lineman is Rd 1 would work, the OC prolly wants a WR or TE, etc. etc. I don't think teams show their hand before the draft, and we could end up drafting a Corner which would screw everyones mocks up.

This is Perry Fewell the DC remember. I'm sure if they asked the O-Line coach that he would say drafting a lineman is Rd 1 would work, the OC prolly wants a WR or TE, etc. etc. I don't think teams show their hand before the draft, and we could end up drafting a Corner which would screw everyones mocks up.

Using our first round pick on any player in the defensive secondary would screw up more than just people's mock drafts!