Do We Go After Vilma?

H2o

One of the practical consequences of the blurb posted earlier tonight regarding the Saints’ intention not to re-sign linebacker Jonathan Vilma until he hits the market next Friday

It saves the Saints 1st round pick from going to the Giants. Could he play the ROLB spot on our defense? I don't think the staff is ready to try to move Posluszny to the outside, even though he would probably be more effective there. Vilma has traditionally played the MLB position, but would be brought in to play the OLB spot. Would he welcome the change and would he even consider the Bills as a destination?

I have been saying all along that Vilma should be our #1 free agent target. He would be a great fit for the WLB. Coverage skills are unmatched even though he has been playing MLB. Impact hitter and playmaker that covers a lot of ground. This is the type of player that would allow Buffalo to solidify the position for several years and would come in and immediately upgrade the defense.

I just checked with Expedia, with US airways we can get him here for $122.00. How much are you willing to throw in? I got $5 on it.

:censored:

On a more serious note. I wouldn't be upset if we brought in Vilma, he would definitely be an upgrade of what we have had, and probably an upgrade over Crowell. My concern is how much he would cost. If it only cost less than $2Million a year less than Crowell, then I think it would be worth it, if not, then I think the money could be spent more wisely elsewhere.

4-5 year deal would be ideal, his contract would expire in line with his play most likely. I am not sure of other LB deals recently, but Briggs got 6yrs- $36 Mil. I dont think Wilma is worth that, and I think a guy like Bart Scott will draw more attention than Vilma. Mitchell got 5 yrs, 17 Mill I think. I could see Vilma pulling 5yrs- 22 Mil

:censored:

On a more serious note. I wouldn't be upset if we brought in Vilma, he would definitely be an upgrade of what we have had, and probably an upgrade over Crowell. My concern is how much he would cost. If it only cost less than $2Million a year less than Crowell, then I think it would be worth it, if not, then I think the money could be spent more wisely elsewhere.

2 million. 1998 called and you still could not get Vilma signed for 2 million a year... And Magox. I have a job for you but only if you will work for 12,000 a year anything more and my money would be spent better elsewhere.

Again. Do the people on this board still think that spending the Bills cap money has an impact on your personal credit score? Good Lord..

4-5 year deal would be ideal, his contract would expire in line with his play most likely. I am not sure of other LB deals recently, but Briggs got 6yrs- $36 Mil. I dont think Wilma is worth that, and I think a guy like Bart Scott will draw more attention than Vilma. Mitchell got 5 yrs, 17 Mill I think. I could see Vilma pulling 5yrs- 22 Mil

Good. That's close but I think he'd get closer to $5 mil per. He made $4.2 million in the last year of his rookie deal last year. He was taken 12th overall in 2004 and was Defensive Rookie of the Year. He made the Pro Bowl in 2005. He's not a great player but pretty damn good and I think he fits our system well. He's damn fast, a bit small.

If we got him then we'd have to decide where he plays and where Poz plays. But at $5 mil per or thereabouts I like it.

If he would sign for that then it's basically the money we've decided to not pay Jabari Greer.

2 million. 1998 called and you still could not get Vilma signed for 2 million a year... And Magox. I have a job for you but only if you will work for 12,000 a year anything more and my money would be spent better elsewhere.

Again. Do the people on this board still think that spending the Bills cap money has an impact on your personal credit score? Good Lord..

haha

that was my bad sorry.

I meant $2 Million a year more

I have been saying all along that Vilma should be our #1 free agent target. He would be a great fit for the WLB. Coverage skills are unmatched even though he has been playing MLB. Impact hitter and playmaker that covers a lot of ground. This is the type of player that would allow Buffalo to solidify the position for several years and would come in and immediately upgrade the defense.

everything that he said ^

I have been saying all along that Vilma should be our #1 free agent target. He would be a great fit for the WLB SLB. Coverage skills are unmatched even though he has been playing MLB. Impact hitter and playmaker that covers a lot of ground. This is the type of player that would allow Buffalo to solidify the position for several years and would come in and immediately upgrade the defense.

There you go. The WLB doesn't cover in our defense. That's why Mitchell plays there.