Kevin Jones?

H2o

He played for Jauron in Detroit and is atleast familiar with the guy, he would probably come relatively cheap, and in light of recent events I don't think that we'll want to go through the first 4 games with just Jackson and Omon. I know that some of you are going to say I'm jumping the gun, overreacting, or something else talking about a suspension already, but Goodell did Lynch and the Bills a favor last season not suspending him. I don't believe he will be as fortunate this time. Kevin Jones can play in this league at a high level. He's had some injury setbacks, but it's not like he's going to carry the load around here. I think he'd be a good insurance policy just in case either of our two active RB's on the roster went down early in the season. He also didn't play much last season therefore he hasn't taken as much punishment on his body. He could be a quality addition.

He played for Jauron in Detroit and is atleast familiar with the guy, he would probably come relatively cheap, and in light of recent events I don't think that we'll want to go through the first 4 games with just Jackson and Omon. I know that some of you are going to say I'm jumping the gun, overreacting, or something else talking about a suspension already, but Goodell did Lynch and the Bills a favor last season not suspending him. I don't believe he will be as fortunate this time. Kevin Jones can play in this league at a high level. He's had some injury setbacks, but it's not like he's going to carry the load around here. I think he'd be a good insurance policy just in case either of our two active RB's on the roster went down early in the season. He also didn't play much last season therefore he hasn't taken as much punishment on his body. He could be a quality addition.

Definitely jumping the gun H2o. Worst case he sits out four games, we'll be fine.

Definitely jumping the gun H2o. Worst case he sits out four games, we'll be fine.

Insurance that has rushed for over 1,100 yards in a season before, good receiver out of the backfield(having a season where he caught 61 for 500+ yards), and is familiar with Jauron = Kevin Jones

I think the worst case scenerio is he's suspended all of 2009. I wouldn't put it past Goodell to be tired of players using handguns and really make an example out of Lynch, especially fresh off the Plaxico Burress debacle.

The Bills would be foolish not to address the running back spot in free agency or the draft. And if Lynch's suspension is for the year, the Bills won't have to pay him and I believe he wouldn't count against the cap. Now is not the time to be cheap.

I agree with the other poster--while we'll have to see what the facts are, it could be worse than 4 games. Personally, I expect him to get a 4 game sit down at a minimum considering his prior issue last year. IIRC, Goodell pretty much promised as much when he spoke to Marshawn last summer--anyone else remember that and more precisely what Goodell may have said then?

That said, I still wonder what the cops pulled them over for and how they ended up searching the trunk. The silence on all of that does seem a bit fishy to me. I also looked at the California penal code last night and while I couldn't get through all of it, it did look like there were some exceptions for transporting weapons in a trunk, but it looked like the weapon also needed to be unloaded and in a safe container.

Yeah, but imagine if we lost our first 4 games last season due -in part- to missing our best offensive player.. 3-13

Omon didn't show much at all but was outstanding in college. I think the Bills have to address an alternative plan here..

only if he's cheap.

Yeah, but imagine if we lost our first 4 games last season due -in part- to missing our best offensive player.. 3-13

Omon didn't show much at all but was outstanding in college. I think the Bills have to address an alternative plan here..

Chandler#81 and JoeinCalifornia, you guys are totally correct.

When Marshawn went down and was not available in week 17 versus the Pats, we rode Fred Jackson into the ground with a few appearances from Xavier Omon who the Bills obviously didn't trust in pass protection.

Meanwhile due to injuries to Lamont Jordan, Benjarvus Green-Ellis, and Laurence Maroney, the Pats were still effective with Sammy Morris and fullback Heath Evans. Quality depth.

The Bills have two excellent running backs but we need more depth at tailback/fullback. A good fullback could also be a third running back in some situations.

Not our primary area of need but definitely an area we need quality depth which we don't have right now.

The Bills were actually in contention in that final New England game. Not having a viable option at running back if Lynch were suspended could cause us to lose games. One quality backup running back isn't enough regardless of whether there is a suspension or not.

Because the thread needs it, here's the list of UFA running backs.

UNRESTRICTED:

J.J. Arrington, Cardinals.

Terrelle Smith, Cardinals.

Corey McIntyre, Bills.

Lorenzo Neal, Ravens.

Kevin Jones, Bears.

Jason Wright, Browns.

Cedric Benson, Bengals.

Tatum Bell, Broncos.

Michael Pittman, Broncos.

Aveion Cason, Lions.

Rudi Johnson, Lions.

Moran Norris, Lions.

Cecil Sapp, Texans.

Dominic Rhodes, Colts.

Alvin Pearman, Jaguars.

Heath Evans, Patriots.

LaMont Jordan, Patriots.

Aaron Stecker, Saints.

Brandon Jacobs, Giants (just franchised)

Derrick Ward, Giants.

Jesse Chatman, Jets.

Tony Richardson, Jets.

Correll Buckhalter, Eagles.

Darren Sproles, Chargers.

DeShaun Foster, 49ers.

Travis Minor, Rams.

Maurice Morris, Seahawks.

Leonard Weaver, Seahawks.

Also it looks like Jacksonville will be parting ways with Fred Taylor and likely New Orleans will release Deuce McAllister. Both of them are making too much money.

Tank Johnson got suspended 8 games for having 6 illegal assault weapons. No way Marshawn gets more than 4. I'll bet he won't get suspended at all. Last year's incident wasn't anything more than a blip on the radar of the league office.

Now having made the argument that the Bills need more depth at RB/FB (they only have two capable bodies at these two positions), I'll restate my argument for getting a free agent fullback. Three of the top fullbacks in the league are free agents this year:

Heath Evans, Leonard Weaver or Terrelle Smith.

1 Greg Jones 70

2 Le'Ron McClain 69

3 Heath Evans 68

4 Ovie Mughelli 67

5 Justin Griffith 66

6 Leonard Weaver 66

7 Terrelle Smith 63

I like signing a veteran rather than drafting a rookie because there are excellent free agents available this year and you get a known quantity as opposed to projecting one. Also, fullbacks generally come pretty cheap.

I like Weaver the best. He's an excellent blocker and has offensive skills that haven't been tapped yet (like LeRon McClain before last year). By signing Heath Evans, we'd also take away a cog in the Patriot's offense. Terrelle Smith is a killer blocker. Here's the scouting reports. They haven't been updated to reflect the 2008 season. All three had excellent seasons so their grades might be even higher than reflected:

Leonard Weaver #43 FB

2008 STATS

Birth Date September 23, 1982

Birth Place Cocoa, FL

Height 6-0

Weight 242 lbs.

Age 26

Position FB

Experience 4 years

College Carson-Newman

ProfileStatsSplitsGame LogNewsScouting InsiderPhotos

2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 66 | Key

Alert: None

Comment: Weaver is massive and athletic for his size. A converted tight end drafted out of tiny Carson-Newman, he has adjusted quickly to a new position and a much higher level of play in just two NFL seasons. (He sat out 2006 because of an ankle injury.) Weaver still is learning how to block out of the backfield, but he delivers a good blow on iso blocks and has the power and bulk to follow up and sustain. He shows above-average run skills in the red zone. He has natural receiving tools that reflect his background at tight end. He still needs a lot of work on blitz pickups, tracking stunts and making the quick decision to seal off the corner on sweeps. Weaver still is extremely raw, but he acquitted himself nicely when veteran FB Mack Strong retired last season. He shows enough promise and athleticism to project as a good NFL starter.

Heath Evans #44 FB

Birth Date December 30, 1978

Birth Place West Palm Beach, FL

Height 6-0

Weight 250 lbs.

Age 30

Position FB

Experience 8 years

College Auburn

Grade: 68 | Key

Comment: Evans is an eight-year veteran who is a good combination of size, strength and athleticism. He is a hard-nosed player who will square up on linebackers on isolation blocks or cutting defenders on perimeter schemes. He has good foot agility, balance and quickness to searchlight moving targets in space. He is used primarily as a run-blocker, but has decent foot agility, quickness and balance with the ball in his hands. He isn't a quick-footed runner to make effective inline cuts, but has power to move the pile on contact. He is limited as a receiver out of the backfield with just average hand dexterity. He doesn't adjust or pluck the ball away from his body well nor show much run after the catch ability in the open field.

Terrelle Smith #45 FB

Birth Date March 12, 1978

Birth Place West Covina, CA

Height 6-0

Weight 250 lbs.

Age 30

Pronounced Tuh-RELL

Position FB

Experience 9 years

College Arizona State

Grade: 63 | Key

Comment: Smith is a blocking fullback who knows his role is to block, as opposed to carrying the ball and is willing to do whatever it takes to help the team. He is a powerful blocker who hits with authority and punch. He excels in the lead kick-out block off tackle. He tends to struggle when he has to adjust and change directions on the move to make a block, but can blow up most linebackers when he is able to get a good bead on them. He does a good job of picking up the blitz in pass pro, will stick his nose into the block and hit squarely. He has struggled to stay healthy but, he brings an attitude to his game. He is the kind of blocking fullback hard-nosed running teams like.

By getting a capable fullback who can run, block, and catch (we have no such fullback right now) we get one of the several west coast offense tools we're currently missing and indirectly address the lack of depth at running back. Look at how Peyton Hillis (Broncos) and LeRon McClain (Ravens) performed last year. Leonard Weaver would add a great deal to this team. Ditto with Heath Evans.

Jones hasn't really done anything in the NFL except get hurt all the time (ok, except the game he ran all over the Bills a few years ago). He hasn't had an exceptional season since he left Virginia Tech. There has to be a reason why no one else wants him, his last injury was a pretty serious one. I say, if we want some depth at RB, bring in Fred Taylor. He would be great depth, and if (and when) Lynch gets suspended, he can give Fred Jackson a breather. Beside, Fred Taylor was drafted with our pick anyway-Gee, who got the best of that trade, Jax got Taylor and other picks, and we got Rob Johnson.

Tank Johnson got suspended 8 games for having 6 illegal assault weapons. No way Marshawn gets more than 4. I'll bet he won't get suspended at all. Last year's incident wasn't anything more than a blip on the radar of the league office.

I really wish you were correct, but I hate to tell you what Marshawn did last year was more than a blip on the radar screen. If you have been paying attention to the way the new commissioner is handling situations like this, you wouldn't be so quick to place a bet that he doesn't get suspended at all. I love the way Lynch plays and think he could be a perennial Pro Bowler, but one more slip after this and his career could be in serious jeopardy.

Jones hasn't really done anything in the NFL except get hurt all the time (ok, except the game he ran all over the Bills a few years ago). He hasn't had an exceptional season since he left Virginia Tech. There has to be a reason why no one else wants him, his last injury was a pretty serious one. I say, if we want some depth at RB, bring in Fred Taylor. He would be great depth, and if (and when) Lynch gets suspended, he can give Fred Jackson a breather. Beside, Fred Taylor was drafted with our pick anyway-Gee, who got the best of that trade, Jax got Taylor and other picks, and we got Rob Johnson.

And Taylor hasn't been injury prone over the years? ;)