In honor of President's Day

Kingfish

Reagan should be higher than Kennedy....JFK was only in office for 3 years.

Washington should be #1, Lincoln #2 no question.

Eisenhower should not be that high.

Do they say 42 previous presidents of the white house because Washington never lived there?

I think they say 42 presidents because they don't count Grover Cleveland twice.

Re: FDR.

http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/belie...ticle?oid=49674

"In the immediate aftermath of the second World War, President Harry Truman was stunned to find that record numbers of 19-year-old draftees were rejected because of malnourishment during their formative years, which happened to be during the Great Depression."

What does the great depression have to do with FDR except for his pulling us out of it?

Not that it affected his poor Presidency but Buchanan was our only gay President.

Link

In life, Buchanan was not very far in the closet. For many years in Washington, he lived with William Rufus King, Senator from Alabama. The two men were inseparable; wags referred to them as "the Siamese twins." Andrew Jackson dubbed King "Miss Nancy," and Aaron Brown, a prominent Democrat, writing to Mrs. James K. Polk, referred to him as Buchanan's "better half," "his wife," and "Aunt Fancy . . . rigged out in her best clothes." When in 1844 King was appointed minister to France, he wrote Buchanan, "I am selfish enough to hope you will not be able to procure an associate who will cause you to feel no regret at our separation." On May 13, Buchanan wrote to a Mrs. Roosevelt about his social life:

I am now "solitary and alone," having no companion in the house with me. I have gone a wooing to several gentlemen, but have not succeeded with any one of them. I feel that it is not good for man to be alone; and should not be astonished to find myself married to some old maid who can nurse me when I am sick, provide good dinners for me when I am well, and not expect from me any very ardent or romantic affection.

King and Buchanan's relationship, though interrupted from time to time by their foreign service, ended only with King's death in 1853. While Buchanan was born and raised in Pennsylvania, William Rufus King was a Southern slaveholder. Buchanan's pro-slavery politics may have stemmed in part from their 23-year connection. Buchanan certainly thought highly of King: "He is among the best, purest, and most consistent public men I have ever known, and is also a sound judging and discreet fellow," as well as a "very gay, elegant looking fellow."

What does the great depression have to do with FDR except for his pulling us out of it?

Not that it affected his poor Presidency but Buchanan was our only gay President.

Hitler and Tojo deserve credit too for pulling us out of the Great Depression :w00t:

And there are rumors that Lincoln may also have been gay.

Hitler and Tojo deserve credit too for pulling us out of the Great Depression ;)

And there are rumors that Lincoln may also have been gay.

Lincoln shared a bed with a man while on the circuit. Since most lawyers on the circuit looking to save money did the same thing, it hardly makes him gay. The evidence that he was gay is underwhelming.

To DC Tom: What is your case that he's not a great president? I can't say I've read a lot of histories of the bottom 10 but I've definitely read biographies and related histories of at least half of the presidents who matter. I could make a case for Truman. I could make a case for Washington. I could make a case for Lincoln. I have no problem with Abe being number 1.

I am suspicious of FDR. I don't buy that he got America out of the depression. What he did do was give hope in a down time. But he may have prolonged the depression and ultimately, it was WWII that pulled America out of that depression. Further, it was the rest of the civilized world being in shambles post WWII that lead to US world dominance.

Lincoln shared a bed with a man while on the circuit. Since most lawyers on the circuit looking to save money did the same thing, it hardly makes him gay. The evidence that he was gay is underwhelming.

To DC Tom: What is your case that he's not a great president? I can't say I've read a lot of histories of the bottom 10 but I've definitely read biographies and related histories of at least half of the presidents who matter. I could make a case for Truman. I could make a case for Washington. I could make a case for Lincoln. I have no problem with Abe being number 1.

I am suspicious of FDR. I don't buy that he got America out of the depression. What he did do was give hope in a down time. But he may have prolonged the depression and ultimately, it was WWII that pulled America out of that depression. Further, it was the rest of the civilized world being in shambles post WWII that lead to US world dominance.

His gross misconduct of the Civil War, and the Emancipation Proclamation.

Again, never said he was horrible. Just said I think he's overrated.