Greatest QB of all time

Willis990

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:(

For an equally confusing counter to your position, Brady, Montana and Manning would be crushed in past eras. They were never hit like QB's were susceptible to then.

IMO, Graham, Bradshaw and even Montana were just parts of great teams and received way too much credit for their teams' success. Baugh gets a pass <pun intended> as he truely innovated the passing game, so no one was prepared to defense it- though he was a great football player. It comes down to moxey and unflappable determination, attacking set up weaknesses when the opposition knows you're going to throw and thinks they've got everything covered -and doing it repeatedly over a lenghty career.

Johnny Unitas

The bolded statement describes Graham, as well. I disagree that he was just a product of his system. He was like his coach: he left nothing to chance. He would evaluate himself to see if he had any tendencies so that he could correct them. Regardless of the situation, you know that you could count on him to drive down the field for a score. I talked to players who played with him and against him. They all said that regardless of how you defended him, he would still kill you. He was a master field general. He did it at a high level and did it his entire career and the players who played with him and against him agree.

Steve Young

Well, Steve Young was a really good QB, it's not close to the top 10 IMO. He merely took over a very talented team and keep it on top. I realize the Tampa years aren't his fault, but it should make you wonder how great he was. Plus, a lot of QBs would look great throwing to perhaps the best football player ever, Jerry Rice (Montana, Young, Gannon).

It's all realitve though. I've heard that same argument in regard to guys like Jim Brown ("he'd never be that good today 'cause today's athletes are bigger and stronger"). The same way those big and strong guys train, so would Jim Brown. Or do you think that everything concerning him would be exactly the same yet everyone else would be "bigger and stronger"?

Or maybe he would've quit because he didn't enjoy modern training, or maybe he would've injured his back squatting, or maybe he would've done mixed martial arts. Who knows. I understand that there are other factors involved as to why the athletes are bigger and stronger today, but if you're going to make these comparisons it only makes sense to compare how good they were when they played, not how good they would've been had x y and z happened. The argument is somewhat ridiculous to start with, but when you start adding even more hypothetical questions it just becomes absurd.

The bolded statement describes Graham, as well. I disagree that he was just a product of his system. He was like his coach: he left nothing to chance. He would evaluate himself to see if he had any tendencies so that he could correct them. Regardless of the situation, you know that you could count on him to drive down the field for a score. I talked to players who played with him and against him. They all said that regardless of how you defended him, he would still kill you. He was a master field general. He did it at a high level and did it his entire career and the players who played with him and against him agree.

I accept this as gospel and take my beatings. Going only by reading about his/their prowess and how Paul's Boys turned the established league on it's collective head when they joined from the defunct AAFC, it seemed they wouldn't lose no matter who played QB. The players on the Browns during that era read like a who's who in pro football.

Thanks!

I still side with Johnny U :(

You sound like my friend who tried to convince me that Jim Thorpe was a better athlete than Kobe Bryant. His closing argument: Did Kobe ever win a decathlon? Side note: This friend is a virgin

Your friend is CORRECT. Jim Thorpe was the BEST athlete of his ERA that can not be disputed. Kobe is NOT the best athlete of his, hell I think Tim Tebow is a better athlete than Kobe.

1. Otto Graham

2. Johnny U.

3-4. Baugh/Montana or Montana/Baugh

Manning is not in the same class as those 4.

Where would you put John Elway? He led the Broncos to a few superbowls in the 80's with no help and a flawed offensive scheme

Where would you put John Elway? He led the Broncos to a few superbowls in the 80's with no help and a flawed offensive scheme

5-10 are kinda muddled for me. He is definitely top 10, but I am not sure exactly where I would rank him. I have him ahead of Favre, but I am not sure how I rank him against Young. I would probably rank them Elway, Young, Favre. All would be top 10.

There is no such thing as best QB because there are too many variable's involved.

I think it's easier to split things up into categories that detail those variables and add em up afterward to declare victor. I'd include categories such as as leadership, arm strength, clutch play, game management, release, pocket presence, ability to avoid a sack, etc.

My guess is most people would have different QB's excelling in each of these categories.

You sound like my friend who tried to convince me that Jim Thorpe was a better athlete than Kobe Bryant. His closing argument: Did Kobe ever win a decathlon? Side note: This friend is a virgin

Sure buddy. The old "my friend" is a virgin. I can just picture you behind a keyboard mouth open breathing your hot breathe and staring at your G. W. poster.

I am not going to select some of the regular perceived past greats.

I will pick the QB's I would want in 2009 in modern day football

Tom Brady

Peyton Manning

Jim Kelly

All Time great Johnny U

I love Jimbo but he isn't even in the same ballpark as those guys. If Brady played his whole on the 90s Bills, he would own every passing record in football history. The 90s were one of the most loaded offensive teams in history.