What If, Just What If The Bills Signed..............

H2o

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we were to sign just one guy, it would be him. Next to Stroud, my god, I'm getting giddy at just the thought of it. No one could run on us and both our DEs, no matter who they are, would register 10+ sack seasons.

You build through the draft and spend wisely on free agents. You build championship teams from the lineman out.

I would give Haynesworth 6 years, $75 million with $30 million guaranteed. Worth every penny.

I hear a lot of fans saying the Bills won't...But, this team is at crossroad..either they commit to winning (Ralph says we don't have the talent) or just stay put and do nothing....Either the Bills will spend like a drunken sailor or be tighter than Uncle Scrooge's purse strings!!!

Before anyone says they won't, let's see when Free Agency begins!

Many of us said the same thing last season after two whole 7-9 seasons. Now it's been three mediocre seasons, and people expect things to change. This is it, this is how the franchise does business. Buffalo has 27-31M in cap dollars to use, but I'm thinking RW has been scared from opening the wallet for UFA after the Dockery and Walker signings.

You will know on February 28th I think it will be a quick strike kind of thing. It's not likely but possible

Ralph is in the Hall of fame and he never won the big one. That makes him a controversial selection. If he goes all out and wins one before he passes he puts an exclamation mark next to his name which is there for all time.

I don't think RW's election into the HOF means anything about how he spends his money. He knows the economy isn't doing well, and that's an easy out when the team isn't aggressive in UFA. His legacy has already been made: founding the team, keeping it in Buffalo for nearly 50 seasons, and election into the HOF for his work more than 40 years ago. Despite what naive fans think, he isn't concerned with winning now that he's in the HOF. He fired the best GM in modern NFL history for petty reasons. Nothing RW does makes that much sense.

"Many of us said the same thing last season after two whole 7-9 seasons. Now it's been three mediocre seasons, and people expect things to change. This is it, this is how the franchise does business. Buffalo has 27-31M in cap dollars to use, but I'm thinking RW has been scared from opening the wallet for UFA after the Dockery and Walker signings."

True BillsVet but there are a couple of differences here.

Haynesworth is a two-time Pro Bowler and All Pro and was a candidate for Defensive Player of the Year before he was injured. With regards to Dockery and Walker, they had zero Pro Bowls combined and the Bills were probably the only team who thought they were worth the money they were offered.

The other difference is that Dockery and Walker were low risk guys who had no character issues. Haynesworth on the other hand has enough baggage to make teams wary of giving him the big bucks. He fought a teammate in college, fought with a teammate as a pro, stomped on Andre Gurode's head, and has had arrest warrants issued for him.

I'm not saying don't sign him. I'm just saying it's a different situation than Dockery/Walkergate.

simple answer... we'd still lose

Yeah, everybody loses at some point. Just ask the NE Patriots :blink: All except for the '72 Dolphins, but I wasn't even alive to see it.

Seriously though, Haynesworth to the Bills would equal a top 5 defense in '09.

Nothing will make Schobel and Kelsay instantly better. One is a finesse end with the clock ticking, the other is merely pedestrian.

If they played with Stroud and Haynesworth in the middle, they would only need to play 10 on defense. Those two in the middle would make me look good at DE! Seriously though, if the Bills isgned Haynesworth, I think we could get another year out of Kelsey. In fact, if that were the trade off (get Haynesworth, but have to keep the same DEs), I would take it in a second.

while signing the names thrown around here would be great (oh to dream) i'm not very optimistic. It's more likely that we'll sign some fat guy who has a great defense when he plays madden for DT, a sprinter from kenya for our SPEED RUSH, and a golden retriever to play opposite of evans.

From ProFootballTalk today (2/12/09):

When it comes to the presumed status of Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth as the king of the 2009 free-agent class, one phrase continues to echo in our brain.

“Caveat emptor.”

Though some might think it’s a magic spell intended to make someone’s fillings fall out, it’s actually for Latin.

“Buyer beware.”

Haynesworth has a history of antisocial behavior. Though he hasn’t stepped on anyone’s forehead lately while wearing cleats, it’s now coming to light that Haynesworth got in trouble a couple of months ago.

Per the Tennesseean, authorities cited Haynesworth for careless driving after a December 13 incident involving the star defensive tackle and his 2008 Ferrari.

A witness, Kelly Dean, said that she was driving her car at a clip of 79 miles per hour, and that Haynesworth passed her at a ”high rate of speed.” Haynesworth then attempted to pass another car, and the driver of the other car eventually lost control and crashed.

Though the careless driving charge was dismissed on Thursday, Maria Giordano of the Tennessean explains that prosecutors could claim that Haynesworth’s actions constituted a violation of a probation order imposed against him only four days earlier.

Let’s think about that for a second. On December 9, Haynesworth was fined $1,000 and placed on 30 days’ probation for driving in excess of 100 miles per hour in March 2008. Only four days later, Haynesworth was playing real-life Need For Speed all over again.

This time around, he caused an accident while doing so.

Regardless of whether Haynesworth avoids any significant consquences for his most recent actions, we’re going to be prepared to point our fingers and laugh our asses off when Haynesworth does something illegal or stupid or both after some team gives him that $100 million-plus contract he thinks he’s going to get.

Our money is on the Lions being the ones to blow their money — unless they convince him to take a bunch of shares of Ford stock instead.

Haynesworth’s actions allegedly caused another car to spin out of control and crash.

The story in the Tennessean said nothing about any injuries suffered by the other driver.

(But) According to the Nashville City Paper, the other driver, a 25-year-old man, needed a new hip.

The City Paper also points out that prosecutors are looking into the question of whether Haynesworth committed a separate violation of his then-four-day-old probation by failing to report the incident to his probation officer.

The more costly problem for Haynesworth surely will be the claim that the other driver is certain to make. Prosthetic hips don’t last forever, and the other driver likely will need to have to undergo the same procedure several more times over the course of his lifetime.

If Haynesworth is wise, he would have purchased $10 million or more in insurance coverage. If he didn’t, he’ll eventually have to write a personal check containing plenty of zeros.

If we were to sign just one guy, it would be him. Next to Stroud, my god, I'm getting giddy at just the thought of it. No one could run on us and both our DEs, no matter who they are, would register 10+ sack seasons.

You build through the draft and spend wisely on free agents. You build championship teams from the lineman out.

I would give Haynesworth 6 years, $75 million with $30 million guaranteed. Worth every penny.

It's not just the money he's demanding that will keep the Bills from being interested - it's the "character issue":

Titans All Pro defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth is being blamed for causing an accident that left a Tennessee man needing hip replacement and has a district attorney reviewing the Dec. 13 incident for a possible probation violation.

ESPN article link

Add that to his previous "on field" troubles (5 game suspension for kicking an opponent's helmet off and then stomping on his head), and I think the Bills would be wise to steer clear of this idiot. He's got the physical skills to be one of the best DL's in the league (and probably is), but the risk of him continuing to get into trouble, both on and off the field, is too great to pay him the amount of guaranteed money it would take to sign him.

GO BILLS!