Let's try a little controversy ...who is the dirtiest player

BuffaloBill

Vince Wilfork, Rodney Harrison, Hines Ward , Brian Dawkins? … who gets your vote? Why? And would you want him on the Bills?

As for me, I would say Hines Ward plays on the thin edge of being dirty. I do not think he takes illegal shots at people but he plays hard and is not afraid to hit anyone. Where he is marginally dirty in my mind is that he provokes people and he may hit players (cleanly) at times when he really does not need to. All this said, I like the way the guy plays and I would want him on the Bills.

Vince Wilfork, Rodney Harrison, Hines Ward , Brian Dawkins? … who gets your vote? Why? And would you want him on the Bills?

As for me, I would say Hines Ward plays on the thin edge of being dirty. I do not think he takes illegal shots at people but he plays hard and is not afraid to hit anyone. Where he is marginally dirty in my mind is that he provokes people and he may hit players (cleanly) at times when he really does not need to. All this said, I like the way the guy plays and I would want him on the Bills.

Yeah, like when he broke Keith Rivers' jaw and sidelined him for the season. :wallbash: Hines isn't a dirty player, just a guy who plays the game of football like one of the old time greats. He plays the game hard and with a bit of a swagger that most guys don't have now days. He likes contact and initiates it versus most guys who shy away from it. I wish we had some players like him on our team.

I'd have to go with Wilfork. You hear all kinds of stories about cheap shots along with other things when it pertains to this guy. We all remember the cheap shot on JP's knee. The guy is a big furry turd.

Hines isn't dirty, at all...he's just tough. I would take him any day. Josh Reed has a little bit of Hines Ward in him. Watch how often he gets into scrapes with a DB, after a play...they hate playing against him, too.

With that said, Wilfork is a flat-out dirty player, and Adrian Wilson is pretty dirty, too. I'd prefer that guys like that aren't on the team I root for. I admit that, should they play for the Bills, I would root for them, and if they were effective, I'd be happy.

Yeah, like when he broke Keith Rivers' jaw and sidelined him for the season. :wallbash: Hines isn't a dirty player, just a guy who plays the game of football like one of the old time greats. He plays the game hard and with a bit of a swagger that most guys don't have now days. He likes contact and initiates it versus most guys who shy away from it. I wish we had some players like him on our team.

I hear what you are saying but I still believe he pushes the limits. Perhaps to your point the limits in today's game are much tighter. Like I say though I would really love to have him on the Bills. His "leave it on the field" attitude would help.

Yeah, like when he broke Keith Rivers' jaw and sidelined him for the season. :D Hines isn't a dirty player, just a guy who plays the game of football like one of the old time greats. He plays the game hard and with a bit of a swagger that most guys don't have now days. He likes contact and initiates it versus most guys who shy away from it. I wish we had some players like him on our team.

I'd have to go with Wilfork. You hear all kinds of stories about cheap shots along with other things when it pertains to this guy. We all remember the cheap shot on JP's knee. The guy is a big furry turd.

Amen, well said. I take Wilfork and Harrison in a tie. I reamember reading two things about these two, Wilfork complaining about getting fined for his blatent cheap shot at Losman, only to later admit it was a cheap shot. And Harrison was voted the Dirtiest player in the league by 11 out of 18 head coaches (all 32 were asked, only 18 responded) in an article from SI.

I would take Wilfork or Adrian Wilson on the Bills in a nano-second

I would never take Wilfork, he's really the one player in the league I have a problem with. He goes out of his way to try to injure people by doing things that are completely unrelated to the game in any way. He makes the sport look bad by the way he plays, I don't think he should be in the league.

Yeah, like when he broke Keith Rivers' jaw and sidelined him for the season. :D Hines isn't a dirty player, just a guy who plays the game of football like one of the old time greats. He plays the game hard and with a bit of a swagger that most guys don't have now days. He likes contact and initiates it versus most guys who shy away from it. I wish we had some players like him on our team.

Eh. Rivers wasn't in any position to affect the play, and Ward came in high at his head. It reminded me of Sapp hitting and injuring that GB lineman (Clifton?) a few years back.

Karma has a way of catching up with dirty players, usually in the form of penalties at critical times. I despise players who leg whip, take shots at knees or deliver blows to the head with intent to give someone a concussion.

To me, there's a big difference in playing tough versus playing dirty, and it takes a real man to play tough. Guys who repeatedly play dirty should not be on the field, becasue that goes beyond the game and into injuries that can last a lifetime.

Any player who plays consistently dirty should be fined (100k plus per infraction) or suspended. If Goodell is serious about cutting down on dirty play, he needs to put some teeth into the fines. Handing out a 15 thousand dollar fine to someone who make 3 or 4 million a year is like fining one of us 25 cents.

Eh. Rivers wasn't in any position to affect the play, and Ward came in high at his head. It reminded me of Sapp hitting and injuring that GB lineman (Clifton?) a few years back.

I was going to say the same thing cincy. Most of Wards hits are legal, but highly unnecessary. Instead of looking to make himself part of the play, Ward simply hits any defenseless person looking the other way. Just like Sapp's hit on Clifton.

Karma has a way of catching up with dirty players, usually in the form of penalties at critical times. I despise players who leg whip, take shots at knees or deliver blows to the head with intent to give someone a concussion.

To me, there's a big difference in playing tough versus playing dirty, and it takes a real man to play tough. Guys who repeatedly play dirty should not be on the field, becasue that goes beyond the game and into injuries that can last a lifetime.

Any player who plays consistently dirty should be fined (100k plus per infraction) or suspended. If Goodell is serious about cutting down on dirty play, he needs to put some teeth into the fines. Handing out a 15 thousand dollar fine to someone who make 3 or 4 million a year is like fining one of us 25 cents.

Good post. Even if it's just the money angle, Goodell has to realize that when players go down and out that way, it cheapens the value of product the NFL is selling. Teams falter, folks don't tune in which eventually affects the advertising rates they can command, gate is hurt, concessions cuts go down when sold-out stadiums have less attendance, and so on.