Trickle up economics

I keep thinking there are just two options: Devise a circuitous route of money through the tax structure; reallocation to agencies, states, other entities; reliance on that middle man using the money in such a way as to impact the economy...OR just cut taxes, let us keep the same amount of money and accomplish many of the same things.

Wait, the latter means there is no role for the pork-developing politicians!

Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't a massive credit payoff free up more credit to be spent- not that buying on credit is a good thing, but.......

If it makes sense in my head, shouldn't it make sense? :thumbsup:

At a consumer level, maybe. Consumer credit doesn't translate directly to corporate credit, however...which is the credit market that nearly crashed.

I like this idea, but I think that it will only buy some time on the economic front. If people are in mortgages they can't afford and with the unemployment front only getting worse, the only thing the government could do is pay down (forgive a portion of a mortgage in return for a bank lowering the month note.) If the government is going assume these mortgages anyway, doesn't it make sense to keep people in their homes?

Then, whatever income they do have could be used for consumer goods which would actually stimulate the economy and then the banks would eventually get their money back. But it would have to be only for those going into foreclosure proceeding etc. I am not sure what the side effects of this are. Maybe that housing prices would not fall as far as they need to.... Obviously added debt to the government, which is not good.

I have an idea. Why doesn't the government purchase a home for every family in the country and give it to them. Then no one would have a mortgage and all that money could go to stimulate the economy. :thumbsup:

The problem with this country is that people don't have to worry anymore if the !@#$ up. Mommy and daddy will take care of me.

I have an idea. Why doesn't the government purchase a home for every family in the country and give it to them. Then no one would have a mortgage and all that money could go to stimulate the economy. :thumbsup:

The problem with this country is that people don't have to worry anymore if the !@#$ up. Mommy and daddy will take care of me.

And that is the conundrum we face ....do it and we perpetuate the bail out mentality, .....don't and the economy stays in the crapper for the next 10 years.... A choice we all have to make, but you can't eat sanctimoniousness, no matter how righteous.

Tax cuts aren't going to put more money into the economy when people are afraid of losing their jobs. They'll just save it for when they really need it, or use it to keep up on existing debt payments. George Will said that for years people have been spending beyond their means, and now when the economy needs them to spend, they've become fiscally responsible to the point that it's hurting the economy.

And that is the conundrum we face ....do it and we perpetuate the bail out mentality, .....don't and the economy stays in the crapper for the next 10 years.... A choice we all have to make, but you can't eat sanctimoniousness, no matter how righteous.

What made the "greatest generation" great? They went into the crapper and most of them found the toilet paper on their own. I don't know about you, but I feel so much better when I solve my own problems.

The longer we put off taking our medicine, the worse the disease will get. The stimulus 'morphine' will soothe the pain for now, but when the real pain comes there will be no stopping it.

How much longer will the Chinese buy our debt? Once they lose their taste for it, its going to get real expensive to buy things around here.

So the money would get to the banks and people would reduce their debt? I find the effect anything but nil.

I think the point of the "stimulus" is to spur new spending to buoy the economy. I won't argue that paying down debt is good - of course it is, which is why I don't have debt. But, I don't think that's what this type of action is intended to do.

I think the point of the "stimulus" is to spur new spending to buoy the economy. I won't argue that paying down debt is good - of course it is, which is why I don't have debt. But, I don't think that's what this type of action is intended to do.

It's entended too push through every dem pork project they can think of- 4 BILLION for ACORN????

I guess engaging in voter fraud is stimulating the economy.

You have not debt? House and car all paid for?

It's entended too push through every dem pork project they can think of- 4 BILLION for ACORN????

I guess engaging in voter fraud is stimulating the economy.

Get over it. The left got over the 2000 election faster than you're getting over ACORN. :thumbsup:

Remember when the days were long

And rolled beneath a deep blue sky

Didn't have a care in the world

With mommy and daddy standin' by

But "happily ever after" fails

And we've been poisoned by these fairy tales

The lawyers dwell on small details

Since daddy had to fly

But I know a place where we can go

That's still untouched by men

We'll sit and watch the clouds roll by

And the tall grass wave in the wind

You can lay your head back on the ground

And let your hair fall all around me

Offer up your best defense

But this is the end

This is the end of the innocence

O' beautiful, for spacious skies

But now those skies are threatening

They're beating plowshares into swords

For this tired old man that we elected king

Armchair warriors often fail

The lawyers clean up all details

Since daddy had to lie

And wash away this sin

We'll sit and watch the clouds toll by

Just lay your head back on the ground

And let your hair spill all around me

But this is the end

Who knows how long this will last

Now we've come so far, so fast

But, somewhere back there in the dust

That same small town in each of us

I need to remember this

So baby give me just one kiss

And let me take a long last look

Before we say goodbye

But this is the end

Remember when the days were long

And rolled beneath a deep blue sky

Didn't have a care in the world

With mommy and daddy standin' by

But "happily ever after" fails

The lawyers dwell on small details

Since daddy had to fly

That's still untouched by men

We'll sit and watch the clouds roll by

You can lay your head back on the ground

But this is the end

O' beautiful, for spacious skies

But now those skies are threatening

They're beating plowshares into swords

For this tired old man that we elected king

Armchair warriors often fail

The lawyers clean up all details

Since daddy had to lie

And wash away this sin

We'll sit and watch the clouds toll by

And let your hair spill all around me

But this is the end

Who knows how long this will last

Now we've come so far, so fast

But, somewhere back there in the dust

That same small town in each of us

I need to remember this

So baby give me just one kiss

And let me take a long last look

Before we say goodbye

But this is the end

Gotta tell ya, Eric. Pretty much most of the time people dont read lyrics when posted. Keep at it though, my scroll button needs the work. :thumbsup:

Gotta tell ya, Eric. Pretty much most of the time people dont read lyrics when posted. Keep at it though, my scroll button needs the work. B-)

Ya. Sorry for not citing Don Henley... Those lyrics just popped into my head when I read Chef's post about "mommy and daddy."

I blame the Kennedy's... For starting this whole culture... :thumbdown::sick: