franchise tag

BeastMode54

What about using the other tag on Greer, I belive its called the transition tag. Pays an anverage of top 10 at position.

I don't see us doing this either, unless there was strong indication that there was a heavy interest in him from other teams that would be willing to give up draft picks.

The transition tag is worthless. It just gives you the chance to match another team's offer, and since they'd almost certainly put in a poision pill, that's not worth anything to you.

In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if Greer's agent would take any offer he got back to the Bills anyway, asking them to match it, if Greer really was interested in staying around.

The league needs something more like the RFA tender; just with 2nd round compensation instead of 2 firsts or something.

The transition tag is worthless. It just gives you the chance to match another team's offer, and since they'd almost certainly put in a poision pill, that's not worth anything to you.

In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if Greer's agent would take any offer he got back to the Bills anyway, asking them to match it, if Greer really was interested in staying around.

The league needs something more like the RFA tender; just with 2nd round compensation instead of 2 firsts or something.

The 2 firsts is the max tender I believe. I also think that there is a lesser tender that would compensate the team with a pick in which that player was drafted. But i agree there should be something in between for the Undrafted or lower round player that becomes a RFA.

The 2 firsts is the max tender I believe. I also think that there is a lesser tender that would compensate the team with a pick in which that player was drafted. But i agree there should be something in between for the Undrafted or lower round player that becomes a RFA.

For veterans too experienced to be RFAs, there are three options: exclusive franchise tag, which means nobody can even negotiate with the player besides the team, the regular franchise tag, which means that any team can sign him to an offer sheet, but the original team can match or else would receive two 1st round picks as compensation, and the transition tag, which only gives them the right to match.

RFAs can be tendered at four levels - the lowest gives the team the draft pick from the round the player was picked in (nothing for UDFAs), the next is a 2nd round pick, the next up is a 1st round pick and the highest is a 1st and a 3rd.

What I was saying is that there should be a veteran tag that gives moderate compensation, instead of the huge or none situation now.

I know we used it with Nate Clements a few years back. Is there anyone worth using it on this year?

Most of our players are under contract.

The only two players not under contract that are considered to be decent are Greer & Crowell and I can't see us tagging either of those.