Bills need veteran leadership

I think a team should always build via the draft. But, the Bills players average age is 26 years old. What the Bills need is veteran/experienced leadership! I am not a big proponent of Ray Lewis but he is the sort of guy this team needs...The Bills need need the kind of guy who will make everyone in the lockeroom more accountable!

I think a team should always build via the draft. But, the Bills players average age is 26 years old. What the Bills need is veteran/experienced leadership! I am not a big proponent of Ray Lewis but he is the sort of guy this team needs...The Bills need need the kind of guy who will make everyone in the lockeroom more accountable!

Agree with the idea but I do not believe it needs to be Lewis

Don't you think "that guy" should be the head coach and not a player? Since when are players "accountable" to another player? I agree that the team could use some leadership from the player's side, but I don't think that is going to offset the 4th miserable season of Jauron walking around like a Frozen Head. Not being sarcastic here, just pointing out that Bad Mangement + Good Employees = Bad Results.

Don't you think "that guy" should be the head coach and not a player? Since when are players "accountable" to another player? I agree that the team could use some leadership from the player's side, but I don't think that is going to offset the 4th miserable season of Jauron walking around like a Frozen Head. Not being sarcastic here, just pointing out that Bad Mangement + Good Employees = Bad Results.

We need a vet player like Ray Lewis

This is why I miss London Fletcher

We need a vet player like Ray Lewis

This is why I miss London Fletcher

I agree with that, but coaching is the bigger problem. Do you honestly think that a vet player is going to make that big of a difference with Jauron calling the shots? I don't.

I agree with that, but coaching is the bigger problem. Do you honestly think that a vet player is going to make that big of a difference with Jauron calling the shots? I don't.

Wasn't that supposed to be Mitchells role. He's a veteran player with Superbowl experience. You're right, it didn't make a difference. As long as Jauron is here we will continue to underachieve.

I agree a GOOD Coach is imperative, however you are WRONG if you don't think players are accountable to each other. I'm sure you have heard reports of different teams holding PLAYERS ONLY meetings. Future HOF LB for the Bucs, Derrick Brooks was talking about this subject just the other day on WDAE. He said it is very important for a team to have LEADERS on the team for other players to look up to & emulate. He said when he was a rookie Hardy Nickerson mentored him, & showed him what he needed to do in order to be successful in the NFL. He said as a rookie he did not dare loaf when he saw Hardy, a Pro Bowl Vet, Bust his ass every day in practice & the film room. He mentioned Sabby Pistachelli as a young player he has mentored, that has already started to assert himself in the locker room. I think veteran leadership is one of the things that separates the good teams from the bad.

you are telling us that ray lewis needs a coach's back to get respect?

I agree a GOOD Coach is imperative, however you are WRONG if you don't think players are accountable to each other. I'm sure you have heard reports of different teams holding PLAYERS ONLY meetings. Future HOF LB for the Bucs, Derrick Brooks was talking about this subject just the other day on WDAE. He said it is very important for a team to have LEADERS on the team for other players to look up to & emulate. He said when he was a rookie Hardy Nickerson mentored him, & showed him what he needed to do in order to be successful in the NFL. He mentioned Sabby Pistachelli as a player he has mentored, that has already started to assert himself in the locker room. I think veteran leadership is one of the things that separates the good teams from the bad.

Exactly. Jauron has no record of consistent success as an HC so it is legit to question what he will be able to achieve. However, a much more obvious and glaring lack on this extremely young team is of demonstrable on the field leadership from quality players.

Mitchell does have the make-up of a player to fit the needs of a winning team somewhat. As a former member of the SB winning Giants he can demonstrate and speak with the authority of someone who has been there before.

However, no one would mistake Michell for a Pro Bowl quality player who is gonna as a rule make game winning plays though he demonstrated he can from time to time.

Unfortunately the Bills need to formulate a mix which includes high-quality play virtually all the time rather than mere episodes of great play over the season which Mitchell does from time to time, but not all the time.

No one player is gonna do the job and like the Bills teams of old where Kent Hull, Bruce Smith, Jimbo Kelly, Darryl Talley and others played a refuse to lose attitude that got the Bills to four straight SBs.

Mitchell alone is necessary (he fills one of the needed roles) but is far from sufficient to fill all our needs. Jauron also, even if he was good enough) which raises a serious question given his record of yes being a very good quality person but he simply has not produced enough success to merit any confidence that he can make this work.

I feel even worse right now about the Bills failing to pull the Ralph trigger on FAs Tony Gonzales and Brett Favre last year. While neither are adequate players because of their faults, the fact that both have been high quality players on the field for years is one of the missing elements we need.

Exactly. Jauron has no record of consistent success as an HC so it is legit to question what he will be able to achieve. However, a much more obvious and glaring lack on this extremely young team is of demonstrable on the field leadership from quality players.

Mitchell does have the make-up of a player to fit the needs of a winning team somewhat. As a former member of the SB winning Giants he can demonstrate and speak with the authority of someone who has been there before.

However, no one would mistake Michell for a Pro Bowl quality player who is gonna as a rule make game winning plays though he demonstrated he can from time to time.

Unfortunately the Bills need to formulate a mix which includes high-quality play virtually all the time rather than mere episodes of great play over the season which Mitchell does from time to time, but not all the time.

No one player is gonna do the job and like the Bills teams of old where Kent Hull, Bruce Smith, Jimbo Kelly, Darryl Talley and others played a refuse to lose attitude that got the Bills to four straight SBs.

Mitchell alone is necessary (he fills one of the needed roles) but is far from sufficient to fill all our needs. Jauron also, even if he was good enough) which raises a serious question given his record of yes being a very good quality person but he simply has not produced enough success to merit any confidence that he can make this work.

I feel even worse right now about the Bills failing to pull the Ralph trigger on FAs Tony Gonzales and Brett Favre last year. While neither are adequate players because of their faults, the fact that both have been high quality players on the field for years is one of the missing elements we need.

Agreed, & the disturbing thing to me is I have MUCH LESS confidence in Jauron going into 09, than EVER before.

I agree a GOOD Coach is imperative, however you are WRONG if you don't think players are accountable to each other. I'm sure you have heard reports of different teams holding PLAYERS ONLY meetings. Future HOF LB for the Bucs, Derrick Brooks was talking about this subject just the other day on WDAE. He said it is very important for a team to have LEADERS on the team for other players to look up to & emulate. He said when he was a rookie Hardy Nickerson mentored him, & showed him what he needed to do in order to be successful in the NFL. He said as a rookie he did not dare loaf when he saw Hardy, a Pro Bowl Vet, Bust his ass every day in practice & the film room. He mentioned Sabby Pistachelli as a young player he has mentored, that has already started to assert himself in the locker room. I think veteran leadership is one of the things that separates the good teams from the bad.

Absolutely, I was reading an article alittle while ago(wish I could find it again) where former 49ers players were talking about the immediate impact Ronnie Lott made and how he held everybody on that field accountable and he could back it up with his extremely high level of play. That is exactly what we are missing, its great that Donte Whitner has taken up a leadership role on the team but it lacks substance because he hasn't always backed it up on the field. We really need one or two players like that(Ray is definately that type of player but I don't want him because he's on his way towards past prime years) that other guys have 100% respect for and to a degree fear of not performing well.

I was looking through an old issue of Shout! I have to wonder where the toughness in so many of our former players (Washington, Paup, Speilman, Hansen, Kelly, Gash, Thomas, etc....) is. It seems we land some good athletes, but not genuine tough guys. I remember a story about Gash hammering a rookie LB in training camp- the guy was quoted as saying he no longer had a desire to play football.

I don't disagree with you in principle. However I think that players being accountable to each other hold a lot less weight than bad coaching. THAT is the biggest problem. No matter who has whose back, if the coach calls boneheaded plays and can't manage the fricking time clock, veteran leadership is NOT going to compensate for that. Coaching is problem #1, everything else is secondary.

Agreed, & the disturbing thing to me is I have MUCH LESS confidence in Jauron going into 09, than EVER before.

The REALLY disturbing thing to me is that the players profess to have so much confidence in Jauron. If he's that good of a coach, then the players are simply awful.

I don't disagree with you in principle. However I think that players being accountable to each other hold a lot less weight than bad coaching. THAT is the biggest problem. No matter who has whose back, if the coach calls boneheaded plays and can't manage the fricking time clock, veteran leadership is NOT going to compensate for that. Coaching is problem #1, everything else is secondary.

I agree with you Coaching is problem #1. I'm just saying Vet leadership is also important & players are accountable to each other.

I agree with you Coaching is problem #1. I'm just saying Vet leadership is also important & players are accountable to each other.

The I think we both would agree that the Bills need to fix problem #1 before problem #2, yes?. If the boat is sinking you need to fix the leak before you fix the steering.

Jauron won't allow veterans on this team because they know a fraudulent head coach when they see one.

A lot of truth to this. Goes to coaches as well. Jauron while with the Bills and Bears has hired coordinators with no previous experience as coordinators. He doesn't want to be challenged by anyone. He can't handle it. He avoids anything that might be confrontational in the least. Kumbaya.

Should have kept fletcher. I know that he was not the perfect LB for the cover 2, but his production is still impressive.