Trade Peters now

WordByrd

So we all know what a joke Peters is, because we watch him every week. The rest of the league looks at the guy as a "Pro Bowl" starter. I propose we trade Peters for 2 draft picks. Use one for a tackle to replace him, and the other to fill C, TE, LB, or DE. The other option is to pick up a free agent tackle to replace him, and both for TE, C, LB, or DE. What do you think?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont want to trade Jason Peters either. But I think we all know what the off season holds for him and the Bills. Yes, he did hold out this past year, but per the front office they said they wont talk contracts with players who dont report. Which I agree with, however, when Peters reported, all season long the front office never held up its end of the bargain talking about a new contract. I have a bad feeling Peter will force Buffalo to trade him or he will really hold out well into the 2009 season. This is going to get ugly folks.

So we all know what a joke Peters is, because we watch him every week. The rest of the league looks at the guy as a "Pro Bowl" starter. I propose we trade Peters for 2 draft picks. Use one for a tackle to replace him, and the other to fill C, TE, LB, or DE. The other option is to pick up a free agent tackle to replace him, and both for TE, C, LB, or DE. What do you think?

I think you and others who suggest we trade Peters are crazy. I don't get many Bills fan's obsession with running people out of town each year.

Last year Jake Long went #1 and 2 more tackles were taken within the top 15. This year, its possible 3 OTs are taken within the top 10. Each one of these guys is a gamble until proven on the field. The reason OTs are taken high is because it's hard to get a good one and they are very important to the team. We HAVE a real real good one on our team. It would be ludicrous to not try and keep him.

I think you and others who suggest we trade Peters are crazy. I don't get many Bills fan's obsession with runining people out of town each year.

Last year Jake Long went #1 and 2 more tackles were taken within the top 15. This year, its possible 3 OTs are taken within the top 10. Each one of these guys is a gamble until proven on the field. The reason OTs are taken high is because it's hard to get a good one and they are very important to the team. We HAVE a real real good one on our team. It would be ludicrous to not try and keep him.

What he said.

You are a true idiot!

I don't want to trade the guy. But if some one offers a incredible deal, we'd have to take it. I'd say 2 1st's and a 2nd would be something that I could not turn down.

Draft picks are overrated. You don't give up your starting left tackle in his prime for draft picks just because he knows he is worth more than 3-4 million a year.

There are three positions in the NFL which carry a premium: QB, pass rushing DE, and a LOT. When a team has above average starters at those positions, they've got a great start.

If trading Peters is necessary, and picks are what you get in return, I call that another step toward perpetual rebuilding. The Bills have been at it now for three seasons, why stop now?

To everyone here who thinks the idea of trading Peters is idiotic:

This logic is important to follow in sequence, and I'm not asking to be a smart ass, so reasonable answers would be appreciated:

1. Do you think the Bills will give him a new contract this offseason?- I don't.
  2. If he doesn't receive a new contract this year, do you think he'll pull the same crap he did last year? I do.
  3. Do you think that said crap had a profoundly negative impact on his contribution in 2008? I do.
  4. Would another offseason hold out set him back even further? I think it would.

5. Did we REALLY notice that big of a drop off when Chambers was in there this year? I don't think so.

So far the only reasons for keeping Peters (at least presented here) are that he's our best OL talent1 (overlooking Butler to make this point, IMO), he MIGHT be our best OL talent 2, and someone inferred that you simply don't trade a your starting LT 3.

1. If Peters is a our best OLine talent, then the whole thing needs to be blown up. Mind you, he gave up more sacks than ANY other starting LT in the NFL-- AND he missed thee games (three and a half if you count his effort against JAX).
  2. Well, he MIGHT also be a royal pain in the a$s. Given his potential value to other teams, a trade would could garner some hefty dividends. The Bills MIGHT gain a whole lot more than they lose.
  3. I think this "rule" is silly.

This logic is important to follow in sequence, and I'm not asking to be a smart ass, so reasonable answers would be appreciated:

1. Do you think the Bills will give him a new contract this offseason?- I don't.
  2. If he doesn't receive a new contract this year, do you think he'll pull the same crap he did last year? I do.
  3. Do you think that said crap had a profoundly negative impact on his contribution in 2008? I do.
  4. Would another offseason hold out set him back even further? I think it would.

5. Did we REALLY notice that big of a drop off when Chambers was in there this year? I don't think so.

So far the only reasons for keeping Peters (at least presented here) are that he's our best OL talent1 (overlooking Butler to make this point, IMO), he MIGHT be our best OL talent 2, and someone inferred that you simply don't trade a your starting LT 3.

1. If Peters is a our best OLine talent, then the whole thing needs to be blown up. Mind you, he gave up more sacks than ANY other starting LT in the NFL-- AND he missed thee games (three and a half if you count his effort against JAX).
  2. Well, he MIGHT also be a royal pain in the a$s. Given his potential value to other teams, a trade would could garner some hefty dividends. The Bills MIGHT gain a whole lot more than they lose.

I agree with most of what you said, but this easily becomes a non-issue if our geriatric owner would open up his wallet and pay the guy! I'm SICK of us not paying people, letting them walk, BUT we do give extensions to players who don't seem to ask for one, mediocre, run of the mill players like Denney and Kelsay, THEY get extensions and raises, but our most important offensive player can't receive a pay upgrade. We WON'T get Peppers, or Scott, or Suggs, or T.J. because we NEVFER spend money. It makes me sick. And it doesn't help that he's not raising ticket prices either. We have the CHEAPEST tickets in the world. I"M GOING CRAZY!!!!

wans't it langston walker who replaced jason peters at lt-- and yes he did a good job filling in

i think the peters fans just assume that if we pay him he will play as hard as he can every play and not get hurt. it didn't work that way with sf and jonas jennings, and i don't think it will work that way w us and peters.

i say we get that lt out of carolina for about what peters would want, and ship him off for some picks.

tag and trade greer to clevland for winslow, and we will either be able to drop some cash on a DE, or just get one in the draft (along w a sick playmaker in the front 7, dt or lb) and draft a kick ass c as well.

I agree with most of what you said, but this easily becomes a non-issue if our geriatric owner would open up his wallet and pay the guy! I'm SICK of us not paying people, letting them walk, BUT we do give extensions to players who don't seem to ask for one, mediocre, run of the mill players like Denney and Kelsay, THEY get extensions and raises, but our most important offensive player can't receive a pay upgrade. We WON'T get Peppers, or Scott, or Suggs, or T.J. because we NEVFER spend money. It makes me sick. And it doesn't help that he's not raising ticket prices either. We have the CHEAPEST tickets in the world. I"M GOING CRAZY!!!!

We do pay for guys- Dockery, Walker, Schobel, and Evans come to mind.

Kelsay was given his extension at a time when we were still filling HOLES--not even concerned yet with UPGRADES.

Who have we "let walk" since Jauron took over in 2006 that we'd have benefited from keeping? All I can think of is Clements.

The only way I would trade Peters is if it was for a teams current starter at left tackle and a 1st rd draft pick.

I don't want to trade the guy. But if some one offers a incredible deal, we'd have to take it. I'd say 2 1st's and a 2nd would be something that I could not turn down.

Draft picks are overrated. You don't give up your starting left tackle in his prime for draft picks just because he knows he is worth more than 3-4 million a year.

YEP...Totally agree...

Just out of curiosity: what makes you guys think that Peters is "in his prime" or "very valuable" to the Bills these days?

We do pay for guys- Dockery, Walker, Schobel, and Evans come to mind.

Kelsay was given his extension at a time when we were still filling HOLES--not even concerned yet with UPGRADES.

Who have we "let walk" since Jauron took over in 2006 that we'd have benefited from keeping? All I can think of is Clements.

Clements, Winfield, P. Williams. But I'm more frustrated with the players that we don't get, rather than the ones who leave.